Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
We are about to spend some winter months in our caravan, can any one recommend suitable heating for the awning,either electric or gas.Mainly to be run at night to prevent the cold and damp.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Martin,

I do not recommend using an open flamed gas or oil heater in the awning, the fire risk is far to great.

There are plenty of low wattage electric fan heaters, or if you have blown hot air in the caravan, then there are kits to add an exterior outlet for the awning, however don't expect it make it tropical as awnings are quite large,usually draughty and have virtually no insulation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I concur, the safest way is to get the kit fitted to your blown air system, it will also let you sleep more soundly, knowing there isn't a fire/electrocution risk.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi the blown air awning add ons are a total waste of money cant get a enough heat to even take the chill off of an awning , would not recommend any gas appliance , but a electric fan heater would be ok , you have an rcd in the van if it develops a fault , but keep an eye on ampage use , i wouldnt personally leave it on overnight though.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I don't think anyone would recommend using a heater throughout the night in an awning. Why not invest in one of the new Halogen heaters that have an inbuilt safety device which can be used until you go to bed. These heaters are great if you have children/pets running around as, if they are tipped over, the element is immediately cut off.

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin, we have an ordinary electric fan heater in our awning. We got it from Argos for about 12 pounds. It works lovely and keeps the awning warm and dry I also used it during summer to dry my washing in the awning brilliant. Think its a Challenge fan heater. Just remember not to use to many appliances when running the heater.

TRENDING THREADS