Hello.

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi everybody, I'm a new user and I've been wanting a caravan for a couple of years. Well, the kids are 5 and 3 now so my wife has given me the go-ahead!
I'm looking at either a 4 or 6 berth and really like the idea of the fixed bunks at the rear like the Elddis Avante 556.
I'll be towing with a ford grande C max so it looks like the weight is ok.
My question is, has anyone had problems with condensation on these 6 berth caravans because as well as family holidays I'll also be using it to go away to motorsport events with five other blokes from time to time and I'm a bit concerned. Do the bunks even fit a 6 footer in them?
Anyway, thanks for letting me join!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nath143 said:
Hi everybody, I'm a new user and I've been wanting a caravan for a couple of years. Well, the kids are 5 and 3 now so my wife has given me the go-ahead!
I'm looking at either a 4 or 6 berth and really like the idea of the fixed bunks at the rear like the Elddis Avante 556.
My question is, has anyone had problems with condensation on these 6 berth caravans because as well as family holidays I'll also be using it to go away to motorsport events with five other blokes from time to time and I'm a bit concerned. Do the bunks even fit a 6 footer in them?

Hi Nath welcome to the forum, and to answer one question the bunks on my 6 berth have a weight limit and would not cater for a 6 foot bloke in length, even the width on the top bunk is narrower than the lower one.
Could you get an awning and chuck a couple of blokes out there :lol:
On the condensation thing you can limit this as long as the van is well ventilated, but we dont tend to get much anyway. Good luck in your search.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Nath welcome to the forum
i am a disabled wheelchair user i am 6ft 5in tall
Elddis Crusader Supersirocco Twin Axle Caravan
THE Long bunk across the front been a L Shape i can sleep great and plenty of room
So i hope you get what you after but some bunks will not take a tall customer

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I am asking a bit much considering the tow car and the fact that I've got to keep the overall length to under 23ft to park it in my drive. Oh well, looks like I'll have to get a big awning. :(

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Nath143 said:

Hi there and welcome to the Practical Caravan forum!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily the length of the fixed bunks, end or side, that can be a problem, but the access to them and the ability to contort into the necessary positions to get into bed. Once in there's the issue of being able to sit up and move around. We gave up on fixed bunks when the girls hit a tad over 5' and changed to all the children having a single bed and us a fixed double. Alas at 1800kg well out of your weight limit.

Yes you are going to be restricted with any six berth and the tow car you have at the moment however, the end fixed bunk and side dinette would be an ideal layout for the four of you as the children's bunks are well out of the way and they still have the side dinette to sit and play at, especially if they are early risers.

We did have a 2007 Coachman Amara 660/6 single axle with rear fixed bunks, (probably too heavy for you) the only condensation issue that we had was the access door from the outside to the lower bunk. This used to absolutely run with condensation on frosty winter mornings. A quick wipe with a chamois sorted it each day though. Other than that there were no real issues. The washroom was a tad small for supervised use with the door shut, so we just supervised with it open. There has to be a compromise somewhere to get six berths into a single axle and that was the only one we found in nearly 3 years heavy use.

My advise would be to go with something you describe, family before motorsport then, assuming everyone enjoys caravanning then when finances allow upgrade the tow car and then you have more scope in the future when it's time to change the van. When you hit the market just remember condition, damp free and service history above age and equipment levels.

Hope that's of some use and above all else enjoy!!

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a fixed berth adria and it is fine for the children but as has been said there is a weight limit on the bunks. Condensation isn't really a problem to be honest if you use the van regularly and keep it well ventilated.
the awning option is a good one because even if you don't have an optional sleeping pod as many can support, you can put a festival tent or two inside for your chums to bed down on.

welcome to the site.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three girls in bunks at the back of caravans in the past and condensation was never an issue. You can get a bit in Winter or very cold days but we have never had enough to bother us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As there seems to have been different experiences of condensation, it might help to understand the process behind it.

Air and wood has an ability to carry moisture we call this humidity. How much it can carry depends on its temperature, the warmer it is, the more moisture it can absorb and carry.

The consequence of this temperature dependence is that if you have warm moist air or wood, and its is cooled, its ability to carry that moisture is diminished, and it has to get rid of some of its water this will appear as vapour or water droplets.

During the day inside caravans the internal temperatures can rise quite significantly. This raises the air and structures temperature and their capacity to hold moisture increases.

Our activities inside the caravan produce moisture, things like boiling kettles produces vapour, as does burning a gas flame, so anything on the hob or in the oven will produce additional vapour, but we must not forget the humans and pets.

As things cool down overnight this forces the air and the structure to release some of its moisture as vapour which forms as condensation on cold surfaces.

As we breath we also release water vapour. An adult will liberate approximately 100mL of water per night whilst asleep. This is at about 35C naturally the exhaled air cools and that forces it to condense some of its moisture.

The fundamental solution to condensation is not heat, but better ventilation. Using heating only postpones the production of condensation.

TRENDING THREADS