Help a beginner!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

HIT

Jun 12, 2019
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
When we first started out we had a 5 Berth Bailey Orion which was a lightweight caravan entry level as my licence was limited to 3500 kg like you but since then I've upgraded my licence and now my car and caravan but they are a lightweight caravan and decent enough , we had hours for 6 or 7 years . It had three bunks at he back and a make up pull-out double bed at the front.

https://www.gocaravanning.com/caravan-specs/9417/Bailey-Orion-450-5-2012.html

Thanks. This was/is our original preferred van as it fits all the criteria. However, finding a decent affordable example of one has been a challenge hence why we've expanded our search to bigger vans.

But anyway, thanks everyone for your help. I'm still going round in circles somewhat but am coming to the conclusion that trying to find a way to get the B+E done this year is probably the best way to go.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
HIT said:
...But anyway, thanks everyone for your help. I'm still going round in circles somewhat but am coming to the conclusion that trying to find a way to get the B+E done this year is probably the best way to go.

I've posted this info before, but here are some useful links for the B+E Test:

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/43945-how-to-pass-your-be-test
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/membership/benefits/courses/becourse/
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/membership/benefits/courses/becourse/b-e-course-providers/
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test

The manoeuvring portion of the test is performed at a HGV test centre. I did the B+E at the Birmingham centre with a local instructor from the C&CC list above. The test was then performed on the roads around the centre. It costed £115 for the test itself plus instructor fees for the vehicle hire. In my case the instructor booked the test.

Edit:
Some info from the Caravan Club:
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/advice-for-beginners/driving-licences/
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/globalassets/pdfs/content/advice-and-training/b-and-e-companies.pdf

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
HIT said:
Craigyoung said:
When we first started out we had a 5 Berth Bailey Orion which was a lightweight caravan entry level as my licence was limited to 3500 kg like you but since then I've upgraded my licence and now my car and caravan but they are a lightweight caravan and decent enough , we had hours for 6 or 7 years . It had three bunks at he back and a make up pull-out double bed at the front.

https://www.gocaravanning.com/caravan-specs/9417/Bailey-Orion-450-5-2012.html

Thanks. This was/is our original preferred van as it fits all the criteria. However, finding a decent affordable example of one has been a challenge hence why we've expanded our search to bigger vans.

But anyway, thanks everyone for your help. I'm still going round in circles somewhat but am coming to the conclusion that trying to find a way to get the B+E done this year is probably the best way to go.

This is what we had when my licence was limited and it came in just under that so it can be done and was a nice van .

Good luck .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm not sure if this will be any help but this website has a caravan sales section which allows the user to enter their search criteria. Click Here

A useful link. I am often surprised at how many online adverts both trade and private fail to include the basic data on the caravan. Some don’t include full length and far too many don’t give MTPLM and/or MIRO. These last two being fundamental criteria for selecting an outfit match. Clearly the sellers want you to contact them re the sale. But I just move on to the ads that do give a full description.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm not sure if this will be any help but this website has a caravan sales section which allows the user to enter their search criteria. Click Here

Caravan finder website has a similar feature. However read with caution, because as otherclive says, not all adverts include all data, so you will get false positives.

Mel

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I too have a post 97 licence and haven't done the B+E test. I originally had a Sprite Major 4 but needed something bigger with 2 kids so started looking at lightweight 6 berths. In the end we went for a Lunar Venus 590/6 which has a mtplm of 1380kgs. My tow car is a BMW 3 series estate which has a kerb weight of 1615kgs and a gross weight of 2090kgs which gives me a total of 3470kgs so under the 3500kg, so it can be done. The van, albeit classed as entry level, has everything we need including 2 fixed bunks at the back which the kids love. It is also very stable when towing and in the 2 years we've had it we have had no issues at all and the car and caravan easily takes all the gear we need for a 2 week holiday. Hope this might help

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
padmiester said:
I too have a post 97 licence and haven't done the B+E test. I originally had a Sprite Major 4 but needed something bigger with 2 kids so started looking at lightweight 6 berths. In the end we went for a Lunar Venus 590/6 which has a mtplm of 1380kgs. My tow car is a BMW 3 series estate which has a kerb weight of 1615kgs and a gross weight of 2090kgs which gives me a total of 3470kgs so under the 3500kg, so it can be done. The van, albeit classed as entry level, has everything we need including 2 fixed bunks at the back which the kids love. It is also very stable when towing and in the 2 years we've had it we have had no issues at all and the car and caravan easily takes all the gear we need for a 2 week holiday. Hope this might help

I think you have been sensible, two children that will go "manic" if on wet days, have fun and when you can let the kidw go on there own!!!, maybe upgrade or just a good clean up and enjoy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Venus looks a good choice with that toe car. It is a bit basic, but entry level caravans have all you really need these days. Personally I would have been happy with a Venus, but my wife saw the Quasar and the extra looks sold t to her.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with an entry-level caravan as we were stuck for choice on our first one and one did us for a few years and the one we have now is classed as an entry-level and I can't complain about that either

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ours is a basic budget model but compared to the 2005 Bailey Pageant S5 mid range that we bought new this one has all the fittings and is just as comfy. It’s just like cars and I guess caravan sites; the world consistently is going upmarket so even the basic models follow that trend. It’s not to say that we wouldn’t like a more plush outfit but when we returned to caravanning in late 2017 after a three year break we decided on what our priority was. Events haven’t turned out as planned for us and we've not had as many trips out as we would have liked but at least the outfit depreciation hasn’t been as bad as it could have been had we returned to our previous outfit category.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
There's nothing wrong with an entry-level caravan as we were stuck for choice on our first one and one did us for a few years and the one we have now is classed as an entry-level and I can't complain about that either

I agree with you. Our first four were all that but my wife though does like her little luxuries so moving up market a tad keeps her happy.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
Craigyoung said:

I agree with you. Our first four were all that but my wife though does like her little luxuries so moving up market a tad keeps her happy.

Our Sprite is a palace compared to the Ci Cadet we started caravanning with! Heating and Hotwater? Luxury! But in all seriousness, the Sprite with the Sunroof and Diamond Pack makes for all the caravan you need. Only thing I wish we had was a solar panel for keeping the battery topped up.

And, since having a shower in the caravan, my wife hasn't set foot in the wash block!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Also agree , like I said before ours is the entry-level also but with the diamond pack to like yours with the sunroof alloys and we managed to barter for an outside socket and bike rack so for basic entry level van I I again I'm not complaining .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Also agree , like I said before ours is the entry-level also but with the diamond pack to like yours with the sunroof alloys and we managed to barter for an outside socket and bike rack so for basic entry level van I I again I'm not complaining .

I liked the dealer specials extra kit, which added the Solar Panel, pleated blinds, exterior front locker access and exterior Gas/Electric points. but they changed the interior decor, which is what we liked about the original Sprite. However, I wouldn't change it just for nicer cupboards... a window in the main door would be nice though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts