Help needed from those who know germany.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We are taking the van down to a place called tengen in germany

The route from dunkirk is about 470miles and as we have a 6am crossing, it will be about 9.15 [cet] by the time we leave the port.

We were going to found a site for the night,we even thought of stopping at the services in luxemburg,but they are only 200 odd miles away.

I am thinking about driving [slowly] till we get to the 300 odd mile mark,or a bit more, then pulling over in a layby on a german m/way. I am wondering is there any reason why not, or are there other options.

gio

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Contrary to some of the horror stories one hears from France or Spain, whether true or not, German motorway service areas are considered pretty safe for a night's stopover. On the other hand you could also spend the night in your caravan behind our back garden, and we'd give you a free electric hookup to boot. (We're 350 miles from Dunkirk).

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your reply lutz.As ever the gentleman.

we always plan our holidays down to the hour[with the car],but this is our first venture abroad with our van,having read many times on here about just going out and taking things easy,i have decided to do just that.

We did find a campsite at saarlouis,some 270miles into our journey,we will use this on our return as we have 2days to get back to the port [bit of sightseeing]But on the way down i just have no idea how far i can and cannot tow.

So have decided to relax take in the scenary and basically pullover,be it 6pm or 10pm.Thats why i asked the question about

stopovers, because on my garmin map, it shows [P] i believe they are parking areas on normal roads?just wanted to cover all the bases.

Wonderfull offer though lutz thanks again.

hope i can pick your brains more on the subject of germany...

gio.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could try here http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/Camping_Schinderhannes.htm

Its not far off the autobahn and they have special places for over nighters. Restaurants not bad either!

David

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
David, just had a quick look and it seems ok.

We have a spare day maybe 2 on the journey home, its not much i know but we so whanted to see that stretch of the rhine.

I will thing about it,as its more than posible.. cheers.

gio

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
We toured Southern Germany last May/June, stopping twice in Northern France (Mauberge and St. Die des Vosges) on the way to the Bodensee (Lake Constance). Then on through Bavaria, Thuringia, Saxony (Dresden), Harz, The Rhine, and back through Northen France. Altogether about 4500 miles. At no time did we feel threatened, and the people were very helpful. If you want I can give you a more detailed itinerary (campsites, places we visited etc.)

We only stop at campsites though, so I cannot advise about stopping at motorway service stations.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Michael, thank you for your reply.

"st die" how was it towing the van across that area. we have driven fron nancy to colmar via st die, but decided against it with the van. Was it ok?

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
We stayed at a campsite about a mile from the town centre called "camping La Vanne de Pierre". Well looked after with hedged pitches. The town of St.Die was destroyed by the Germans in 1944 as they retreated back over the Rhine so it is relatively modern and souless. Wilst we were there we did the "Scenic" drive along "Les Ballons D'Alsace" called "Le Route Des Cretes" with spectacular views, and also visited Haut Koenigsbourg chateau. We stayed for four nights on our way to Friedrichshaven on Lake Constance. There are some steep gradients on roads in that area, no problem when solo, but I wouldn't like to take the caravan on some of them. At that time we towed a Sterling Europa with a 2 litre diesel Ford Mondeo. Leaving St. Die we used the N159 leading into the N420 up towards Strasbourg. Just before Stasbourg we turned onto the N353 to cross the Rhine to Offenburg. There were no problems at all on that road . The problems started when we were stuck behind a lorry from Offenburg to Schramburg. On a hill leaving that town we finally managed to overtake it, having been restricted to 20-30 mph for what seemed like hours!

I see that you plan to stay at Tengen. This is some distance from the lake, is there a reason for this? I say this because the site we stayed on at Friedrickshaven is very convenient for the Lake Ferries.

Anyway if you need more I'll give what help I can

Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts