Help - Winter Caravanning

Aug 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi, we are quite new to caravans, we have had in the past a motorhome, but we feel for improved space that a caravan is our best bet this coming winter.

We plan on using a 2019 Hobby caravan in Laax, Switzerland for the whole winter, so we are based there.

We appreciate that we will need to get winter tyres and prepare the caravan for the cold winter ahead, but does anyone know the rules in Switzerland/Austria and Italy about moving a caravan in the winter. Appreciate that snow may restrict our movements, but, are there any laws to say that caravans can't be on the road say from mid-November onwards. We may have at key times to move where our so is competing for a week at a time, competing in the Alps.

I was told that in Switzerland from November you can't move a caravan, however, on trolling through the net, I can't seem to find anything to say that.

We will be towing with a 4 X 4 Land Rover Freelander, which has plenty of power and modes, so I am sure it will cope with any journey required.

Appreciate any guidance for experiences to gauge if a caravan is the right option for us. Thank you Peter and Joanne Lane Steyning (West Sussex)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a quick look at the CAMH web site and other than snow chains being required and improperly equipped vehicles being fined there is nothing there. If there was a problem moving caravans in winter I would assume it would be there.
If you are booking through the club or some other organisation they should be able to answer the question.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Although most roads in Switzerland are normally free of snow at low levels, there are requirments to carry snow chains at times. When going into the higher passes.
But as far as towing a caravan in winter to sites, I think that would be a problem. It might be possible to contact a caravan site or a dealer and ask for their help in the matter.

Aug 10, 2022
Visit site
Although most roads in Switzerland are normally free of snow at low levels, there are requirments to carry snow chains at times. When going into the higher passes.
But as far as towing a caravan in winter to sites, I think that would be a problem. It might be possible to contact a caravan site or a dealer and ask for their help in the matter.
Thank you for your comments. I think that I may call the site that we are planning on staying at and see what they say. I appreciate that if there was snow on the ground, then that may cause logistical problems. Regards Peter

Reactions: Hutch
Aug 10, 2022
Visit site
I had a quick look at the CAMH web site and other than snow chains being required and improperly equipped vehicles being fined there is nothing there. If there was a problem moving caravans in winter I would assume it would be there.
If you are booking through the club or some other organisation they should be able to answer the question.
Thank you Ray, most helpful. regards Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts