Help with choosing a solar power charger for my 85 battery

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have been looking into purchasing a solar power battery charger for my caravan. I wanted to go away the Easter weekend but have left it too late to have an electric hook up so I have been looking for a solar power battery charger so at least I can use my leisure battery to power the lights etc. Or would be better to purchase a generator but again I am unsure which one would power my tv and hot water heater. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you Lorraine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lorraine,

If it is just for a week end, then you might get away without needing to recharge the battery, provided you are economical with the use of the 12V power.

The calculation on how much 12V power you normally use has been done on a number of occasions, and the general conclusion is that you would need as Solar panel capable of producing about 50W to 60W during daylight hours to fully maintain the battery.

Without a mains hookup, You should run your water heater and fridge on gas. The water heater will only use a few watts of power to control the gas.

In any case, careful usage of the 12V power such as turning of un-needed lamps, and perhaps limiting you TV hours is good practice.

For a weekend, you should not need a generator, but you can always reconnect the suplimentary plug to the car and run the engine for a while which will boost the charge on the caravan battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts