Help! Wrong liquid in toilet!

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, i'm new to the forum and new to caravans. We bought an Avondale Rialto 640-6 2001 a few weeks ago.

I've just realised that yesterday when I filled the top toilet container (the one for the "flush" on the outside of the van) I put the blue liquid in rather than the pink. Will this damage it in any way ?

Any help much appreciated.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No it will not damage any of the working parts but will probably stain the inside of the water tank.

If you just put pink in the waste tank, you need to put the blue in as well.

The only other possible problem is that it may stain the toilet bowl.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, i'm new to the forum and new to caravans. We bought an Avondale Rialto 640-6 2001 a few weeks ago.

I've just realised that yesterday when I filled the top toilet container (the one for the "flush" on the outside of the van) I put the blue liquid in rather than the pink. Will this damage it in any way ?

Any help much appreciated.
It is diluted so should not do any harm but if you are concerned just drain the flush tank pump and rinse through with a charge of clean water.

Reactions: Billy wizz
Jun 18, 2020
Visit site
Just a point on the “pink stuff” my caravan engineer whom I have used for the last twenty years advised me not use “pink stuff” according to him he has had to replace so many toilet cassette pumps which have become clogged due to “pink stuff”

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a point on the “pink stuff” my caravan engineer whom I have used for the last twenty years advised me not use “pink stuff” according to him he has had to replace so many toilet cassette pumps which have become clogged due to “pink stuff”
I think that is true if tou don't use the caravan often the fluids will settle and give you gunge, to try and pump. I have never had that problem, but after 7 month in storage see what happens next time out.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Have always used the "pink stuff" like the smell. At the end of every trip I flush through with clear water, never leave it in the pump. Never had to replace any pump yet

Reactions: McLosi

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I also advise people not to use the Thetford Pink as I also have had to replace so many pumps and unblock pipes and clear the flush tank of algae.

Apart from the smell, it does nothing despite what the maker claims, what it is good at doing is creating work for caravan engineers !!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also advise people not to use the Thetford Pink as I also have had to replace so many pumps and unblock pipes and clear the flush tank of algae.

Apart from the smell, it does nothing despite what the maker claims, what it is good at doing is creating work for caravan engineers !!!!
After 12 years of using Thetford and other makers, my prefered Elsen double blue or Pink, I have never had a problem. Probably too strong a mix would clog pumps up. Its a chemical to do a job. Mix it as they state.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After 12 years of using Thetford and other makers, my prefered Elsen double blue or Pink, I have never had a problem. Probably too strong a mix would clog pumps up. Its a chemical to do a job. Mix it as they state.

I have read many reports of the pink causing black bits and clogging pumps. So many there must be some truth in it. However. After using different makes for very many years, just like Hutch, never has any problem at all. Oh, and I don’t bother flushing out. Except for the winter, some flush is left in the tank for on journey needs.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
One other item of advice is not to pour the blue through the flush hole, but always through the emptying spout. The chemicals of neat stuff can cause the seal round the flush hole to degrade making it difficult to open/close the flap and be a cause of leakage when carrying to the disposal point.
Hope you have sorted it and are now flushed with success!

Reactions: McLosi

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
With our new Crusader there is no flush tank. Water is drawn directly from the onboard tank or Aquaroll. One can, however, use a Thetford Pink spray around the bowl before and/ or after use. Seems to work fine...and no black bits.
I presume this would work with other systems if you don't want to pour Pink into your flush tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With our new Crusader there is no flush tank. Water is drawn directly from the onboard tank or Aquaroll. One can, however, use a Thetford Pink spray around the bowl before and/ or after use. Seems to work fine...and no black bits.
I presume this would work with other systems if you don't want to pour Pink into your flush tank.
Would you expect black bits if the pink flush fluid hasn’t been sitting in the flush tank and intervening pipe system. I use a single fluid for both so cuts down on carrying different fluids. Never had any black bits.

Reactions: DaveA1
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I always used the pink stuff and never had a pump fail, and i keep my caravans 7 years usually, last one was only 6 due to damp ingress (Unicorn)

But always drain down tank after a tour, the tank I have at present also drains the pump to prevent frost damage.

I don't put much pink in just enough to give it some colour, its cheap and lasts for ages used sparingly.

As others have said just drain down and replace, I have in the past put blue in by mistake and some staining to the bowl took place, but it also cleaned off...

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Would you expect black bits if the pink flush fluid hasn’t been sitting in the flush tank and intervening pipe system. I use a single fluid for both so cuts down on carrying different fluids. Never had any black bits.
Nope. Never had black bits in the flush tank of my Sterling Continental because I regularly drained it. I was just suggesting an alternative approach, based on my Crusader's system. for those who worried about it.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
For the first year after getting our van we had black bits but they've now stopped, no idea what's we're doing to help, although when we got the van It had very concentrated mix in the tank.

As soon as the last bottle of pink stuff runs out we're converting to Elsan green (one fluid for top and bottom) having stayed at a couple of CLs where they've requested only organic fluids for the health of their septic tanks, we'll see how that goes..

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Suggest you move to Elsan organic. Goes in top and bottom parts. Excellent. More expensive than pink and blue but works well and acceptable every where. Without the chemical in the flush the loo will smell because the flush is too small. That’s why they sell the spray.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No it doesn't. We flush with water only (just as in the house)and use camperlife bio products. Weirdly smell is great. We are on bubblegum at the mo after forest fruits!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
When you emptying it smells of bubblegum. They do 12 different smells I think. Great bottles with a proper measuring dispenser and free post if youbuy 2 or more. I will never go back to boring elsan or thetfor d etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts