Nov 11, 2006
Visit site
Hello Everyone, We have been caravaning for only a year ,and bought in October '05 a teeny 350 Elddis Wisp (1994)who is small but perfectly formed and who's only 850 fully laden. We only wanted a small van as we did'nt particularly want to part with our Nissan Almera 1500. Our first Weekend went very well considering it was mid Novemder and poured down for the whole weekend!! We caravaned for the rest of the winter whenever we could which was on average once a month, and come summer felt we were caravaners, albeit still novices! We are learning all the time, and recently viewed a site neighbour when packing up to go, fill up his toilet flush tank with the remnants of his aqua roll, we asked the gentleman if this was standard practice as we drain everything before setting off. He told us that both himself and many of his friends do this to save time when setting up next trip and that the water sits quite happily in the tank for several weeks with an addition to stop black water. Is this O.K? Is it practiced alot?

We tend to do everything by the book as we have no one to ask and we value our little van so much, but would welcome any time saving tips and hints for setting up and packing up that anyone could pass on . We scour both practical caravan and also the caravan club magazine every month and have found them both a very valuable source of information. Look forward to hearing all your tips 'n hints.

LONG LIVE CARAVANING!!

Margaret and Fred

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret, glad you enjoy caravaning, you have come to the right place. I don't think anyone stops learning where this hobby is concerned, so really most of us are still "novices", even seasoned vanners. Myself and the Dearest have been touring for quite some years now, but not heard of this practice with the aqua roll. What you need to keep in mind though, is what fits one may not fit all. Filling the flush tank may be OK for some, if they have the weight allowance available to them and don't fill too much, but not advisable during the winter months. If the water freezes, the consequences could be expensive.

Anyway, welcome to the site, hope you enjoy.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I tend to leave the water in the flush tank rather than drain away good rinse aid. In 'van this is ok as the washroom is just in front of the axle line and the 'van is superbly balanced. In a small 'van with a rear washroom 5 or 10 litres of water slopping around could be enough to cause a problem.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret and Fred

We ALWAYS (or should I say the other half!) drain all fluids off before leaving a site. If we are travelling on further afield we empty the remaining fluid from the toilet flushing system into a large plastic bottle and use it again. We don't bother keeping it if we are returning home. I don't really think it is adviseable to travel with fluid 'sloshing' around in tanks whilst travelling. Each to their own theory!

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I aim to have as little as possible left in the tank and only drain it if there is a possibility of freezing, personally I would not top it up before leaving site, though there would be an argument that a full tank might be better than half a tank slopping around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts