Hi everyone

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi

We are Jim and Anne. We have been living on a 36ft sailing boat and cruising western Europe, Caribbean and USA for the last 9 years. Our plan is to return to the UK next year, sell the boat, buy a touring caravan and start land cruising full-time around Europe. Currently researching suitable car and caravans and associated systems, some of which will be similar to a boat, some different.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim and Anne. Welcome to the forum. Bet you have some good stories to tell. Any questions about choice of van, just ask.
Mel

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Anne and Jim. Welcome to the Forum.
It sounds like you have been living the dream for a while now. Best of luck with your new proposed venture.
Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JwaKing said:
Hi

We are Jim and Anne. We have been living on a 36ft sailing boat and cruising western Europe, Caribbean and USA for the last 9 years. Our plan is to return to the UK next year, sell the boat, buy a touring caravan and start land cruising full-time around Europe. Currently researching suitable car and caravans and associated systems, some of which will be similar to a boat, some different.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I am slightly envious of your last 9 years, I have always enjoyed sailing, and was luck enough to part of a crew on a boat that had taken part in the Admirals cup back in the 1960's, amongst other sailing adventures, but never have owned my own boat.

As you suggest some of your recent experiences will be useful, especially those relating to living in a confined space, and replacing things when you have finished using them, but there ares some differences that I think you should be warned about. Weight is probably the biggest difference, where as in a boat you were probably not too concerned about the weight of all the little nic nacs you collect and want to carry, but in a caravan the load margins are much tighter, and it will require a strong will to avoid carrying less important items, And secondly the build quality of caravans, because of the weight limitations, means the internal fittings will be considerably less durable than those in your boat.

So do look carefully at what you want. I wish you luck, and do keep us informed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts