Hi from the UK

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi All

We bought our first caravan a couple of years ago now and can't be happier. It's a Abl Ace Globetrotter 1992/3 4 berth. We bought it after a particularly bad holiday in our trailer tent ( a Penine Aztec ) were the rain got into the bedroom compartment and the wife said 'no more I want a caravan '. We picked it up for about £1200 complete with awning and everything in good condition ( it had had a repaired leak in the past but didn't smell damp ).

We've just got back from a month in Cornwall that was great , but had a mishap on the way out of the site with the 3rd wheel lifting the hitch off the ball and droping the 'van' to the floor / wheel. It's pulled the front corner apart at the bottom so I'll be sorting that out during the next year.

Ads

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Unlucky with the accident, although I am not clear as to exactly how it happened. Possibly you need a check list of the hitching routine to check off until you have done it a few more times. You sound very handy though so it should all work out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Welcome to the forum. Unlucky with the accident, although I am not clear as to exactly how it happened. Possibly you need a check list of the hitching routine to check off until you have done it a few more times. You sound very handy though so it should all work out.

Sound like the nose wheel might have prevented the tow hitch fitting correctly to the ball and possibly not lifted up and grounded on way out. Unfortunate but luck it didn't happen when en route at speed.

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the welcome. The third wheel was up but ruts in the gateway dropped the car wheels enough to let the raised third wheel touch the flor and lift the hitch off the ball , it had obviously not locked on properly.
The fact that I’ve been towing for over 30 years just shows that if not checked prolly accidents happen.

Adam

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Adam, I think your new post got lost, welcome to the forum, there are others on here that wish you a welcome.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts