Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Haven't stayed there personally Dave, but the wardens at Threeways in Cornwall where we stayed year before last used to be the wardens at High Onn.

They commented that you could go days there without seeing a car and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Have been meaning to give it a whirl, but never quite got round to it.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I haven't stayed at High Onn but know the site very well as I work in that area. The site is situated on an old airfield but apart from some old concrete bases, you wouldn't know it because of the landscaping. The access to the site is via a single track road however you shouldn't get any problems with traffic. Because of it's very rural location, I can imagine that you could hear a pin drop.

The nearest village with shops would be Gnosall about 3 miles away or the town of Newport which has a Waitrose and Somerfield is 8 miles away.

There's good access to the A41, A5 and A518 with plenty of places to visit within easy driving distance. The RAF Museum at Cosford is a few miles down the road and is free to enter. If walking is your thing, The Wrekin is just outside Telford. Stafford has large array of shops as does Telford which has a large indoor shopping centre.

The link below shows an aerail view of the site:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st200ax&ie=UTF8&ll=52.737435,-2.253554&spn=0.001731,0.006748&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr&om=0

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have stayed many times as We used to have family and friends in an adjacent village. We love it. So very peaceful. A little care is needed on the approach roads but I have never had a problem. Do follow the instructions in the CC handbook as all other approach roads are too narrow!

As Martin says the site used to be a wartime aerodrome. There are a few grass pitches. The hardstandings are either standard CC or the concrete bases of the old nissan huts on the base. There is no toilet block but that is no hardship. Other facilities are standard CC. As well as Cosford there are a wealth of places to visit. Weston Park is close by and many others.

I like the place. It has an air of tranquilitiy and peace. There are some nice restaurants about but not in walking distance.

You have just reminded me I need to go again this year. it is a whille since I was there.

DavidC

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I haven't stayed at High Onn but know the site very well as I work in that area. The site is situated on an old airfield but apart from some old concrete bases, you wouldn't know it because of the landscaping. The access to the site is via a single track road however you shouldn't get any problems with traffic. Because of it's very rural location, I can imagine that you could hear a pin drop.

The nearest village with shops would be Gnosall about 3 miles away or the town of Newport which has a Waitrose and Somerfield is 8 miles away.

There's good access to the A41, A5 and A518 with plenty of places to visit within easy driving distance. The RAF Museum at Cosford is a few miles down the road and is free to enter. If walking is your thing, The Wrekin is just outside Telford. Stafford has large array of shops as does Telford which has a large indoor shopping centre.

The link below shows an aerail view of the site:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st200ax&ie=UTF8&ll=52.737435,-2.253554&spn=0.001731,0.006748&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr&om=0
Fantastic, cheers Martin.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have stayed many times as We used to have family and friends in an adjacent village. We love it. So very peaceful. A little care is needed on the approach roads but I have never had a problem. Do follow the instructions in the CC handbook as all other approach roads are too narrow!

As Martin says the site used to be a wartime aerodrome. There are a few grass pitches. The hardstandings are either standard CC or the concrete bases of the old nissan huts on the base. There is no toilet block but that is no hardship. Other facilities are standard CC. As well as Cosford there are a wealth of places to visit. Weston Park is close by and many others.

I like the place. It has an air of tranquilitiy and peace. There are some nice restaurants about but not in walking distance.

You have just reminded me I need to go again this year. it is a whille since I was there.

DavidC
I;m pleased I've booked! Cheers David.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Haven't stayed there personally Dave, but the wardens at Threeways in Cornwall where we stayed year before last used to be the wardens at High Onn.

They commented that you could go days there without seeing a car and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Have been meaning to give it a whirl, but never quite got round to it.
They have pitches available first May BH! Thanks Ian.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts