Highway Code changes Changes are being introduced on January 29

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Only just read this. WhT next?
Every driver warned they face £200 fine and 6 points under Highway Code changes
Changes are being introduced on January 29 which mean motorists cannot take photos or videos, scroll through music playlists or play games while at the wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This raises an interesting point.

With so many new cars now using software and a touch screen in the car to operate almost everything, which requires the drivers attention to search through menus or to find a point on a touch screen rather than a physical button, some basic adjustments might be classed as a felony.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Travelling to Stockport a few weeks ago saw someone on his mobile phone and he was swerving all over the place with these new cameras on motorway M1 they might have got his number plate .

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No police on the roads to prevent this, no one reads the Highway code ok some of us on here but.... I watch them go by everyday on their phones watching TV, films on phones, texting, smoking weed, drinking alcohol ,I've even had a gentleman drive over with his side windows covered with blankets to avoid the sun, and some sadly medically incapable of driving so that they choose to drive on the wrong side of the road in error . So sadly I can't see these new rules making much difference unless a( the gov get out the old public info adverts and get them on TV, b) they get a huge campaign on our roads to catch the lunatics especially between 5.30 and 8.30 and 3.30- 6pm.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our dashcam constantly takes videos while I am at the wheel so I would gather this is exempt. Guess it is aimed at the rubber neackers at accident scenes who at all costs need to post the photos on a social media site for their friends to view. Never mind the fact that the photo could be very upsetting if it was a relative. of the person viewing the photo Online.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This raises an interesting point.

With so many new cars now using software and a touch screen in the car to operate almost everything, which requires the drivers attention to search through menus or to find a point on a touch screen rather than a physical button, some basic adjustments might be classed as a felony.
Good point. The steering wheel buttons enable me to scroll through music lists, telephone numbers etc. OMG! I’ll be breaking the Law😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good point. The steering wheel buttons enable me to scroll through music lists, telephone numbers etc. OMG! I’ll be breaking the Law😉

Problem is even with all the buttons mounted on the steering wheel, you still look at the screen even for a brief second to make sure that you have selected the correct setting. In addition, simply by the screen flashing is enough for you to take your eyes off the road. Travelling at 30mph how far will you travel in one second. At 70mph the distance covered in one second will be quite a bit.

Although the vehicle may have a warning system you still need to react. If you were watching the road, you may have anticipated that a pedestrian may step into the road in front of you and you are already reacting to that situation.

I agree that new cars have too many gadgets that can be distracting and are not making the car safer.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What about the cars that have menu selection for basic control functions. Volvo XC40 recharge took 10 seconds whilst stationary with the reviewer pressing selections before he was able to change mode from screen to front vents. Safe…… I think not.

There are now roadside cameras in Australia fir two years that can photo drivers using mobiles. Trials are in hand here too 15000 drivers spotted so far. Post #22 describes

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com...n-months-under-new-eu-rule.63798/#post-540651

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Another change coming in on the 29th is that of priority at uncontrolled junctions. Where a driver is about to turn left or right at a junction, pedestrians waiting to cross or cyclists take priority.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another change coming in on the 29th is that of priority at uncontrolled junctions. Where a driver is about to turn left or right at a junction, pedestrians waiting to cross or cyclists take priority.

This has been applicable in many other countries for years. We were taught this in SA way back in the sixties.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s always been the aspect that drivers turning into or out of a road should give way to pedestrians crossing. Rarely happens when I cross the entrances or exits to local supermarket, or fuel station when I’m out on my walk. The new Highway Code guidance has levels of precedence similar to those used in some other countries. IE people, cyclists, horse riders etc up to large commercial. In some countries in the event of an accident the bigger road is automatically seen to be responsible unless they can prove otherwise. A nightmare for commercial drivers in cities with cyclist wizzing everywhere, and up the blind side.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The other change to rule H2 Is for cyclists to ride in the middle of the lane, and not to the side. Ok if they are using lights on their bikes.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Had I done this last week I'd have been a gonner. Approaching a toll bridge car driver looking down on his knees or somewhere, I assume trying to sort money rather than stop, and his mirror brushed me. SOOO close . When I caught up with him at the queue he had no idea he had even passed a bike. And I was full High viz and lights!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As someone who dealt with the accidents I know that using a phone at all when driving is dangerous. There was a recent case of a lorry driver being jailed for searching for sex on his phone and causing a fatal accident so do be aware of the consequences. The worst I have come across was similar with a lorry driver being late for a timed delivery time at a supermarket depot and ringing to change the time. He failed to notice traffic ahead had stopped and slammed into the car ahead with fatal results.
Phones distract you and using them, even hands free, is too dangerous to even consider.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As someone who dealt with the accidents I know that using a phone at all when driving is dangerous. There was a recent case of a lorry driver being jailed for searching for sex on his phone and causing a fatal accident so do be aware of the consequences. The worst I have come across was similar with a lorry driver being late for a timed delivery time at a supermarket depot and ringing to change the time. He failed to notice traffic ahead had stopped and slammed into the car ahead with fatal results.
Phones distract you and using them, even hands free, is too dangerous to even consider.
From 2000 to 2007 I worked for two private sector companies. Both provided company mobiles and the hands free kits for the cars. But both companies explicitly banned the use of the mobile when driving, and required it to be switched off, or to airplane mode.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I understand the new HC cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes when provided,last week I encountered 2 cyclists riding from Bradford on Avon to Trowbridge,which has a designated cycle way for cyclists and pedestrians, but they chose to ride on the main road resulting in tailback of traffic, which defeated the object of the cycle path.If a cycle lane is provided I suggest it should be an offence for cyclists not to use it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As I understand the new HC cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes when provided,last week I encountered 2 cyclists riding from Bradford on Avon to Trowbridge,which has a designated cycle way for cyclists and pedestrians, but they chose to ride on the main road resulting in tailback of traffic, which defeated the object of the cycle path.If a cycle lane is provided I suggest it should be an offence for cyclists not to use it.
The "problem" with that is that cycle tracks are often littered with debris - or parked cars!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We lived in BOA until three years ago and I know that cycle path well. I always used it as going to Trowbridge is an uphill route and you aren’t as quick so would become conscious of holding up traffic. But there are “ professional” cyclists who seem to like to display their right to use roads even if there is a marked cycle way. Just selfish egotism.
Where we live now the council have marked out a two foot wide cycle lane on either side of a not very wide and busy road. No way can you give a cyclist the required space unless there is no oncoming traffic. So I just use the pavement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello,Other Clive,we also now have the half a million pound spend on Hilperton Road in Trowbridge, to provide a dedicated pedestrian/cycle lane which nobody is obliged to use,so the existing road is going to be narrowed and cyclists will still be allowed to use the road if they choose to deliberately hold up traffic, increasing congestion and pollution.

• Sad
Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
What worries me about the rules is that they give right of way to cyclists and pedestrians allowing them to act in an irresponsible way and likely to cause accidents. These people have to use common sense and accept that they are vulnerable and act accordingly. What we now have is the idea that they can just use the road as they see fit and the motorist is to blame unless they commit suicide.
No party should have the right of way except for things like Zebras and road markings and lights. We should all be equal and use common sense in traffic. Each case should be judged on its own merits and not on some stupid idea that you can just walk across a road irrespective of the traffic and whether they can stop.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What worries me about the rules is that they give right of way to cyclists and pedestrians allowing them to act in an irresponsible way and likely to cause accidents. These people have to use common sense and accept that they are vulnerable and act accordingly. What we now have is the idea that they can just use the road as they see fit and the motorist is to blame unless they commit suicide.
No party should have the right of way except for things like Zebras and road markings and lights. We should all be equal and use common sense in traffic. Each case should be judged on its own merits and not on some stupid idea that you can just walk across a road irrespective of the traffic and whether they can stop.
The changes are about precedence, not rights of way.

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The changes are about precedence, not rights of way.
And there is nothing that suggest a pedestrian can just walk across a road at any point. The new code simply identifies that at a designated zebra crossing, or at a junction, the pedestrian has precedence. If a driver is approaching through a crossing, and the pedestrian already has a foot on that crossing, nothing changed. The pedestrian already had precedence. Now they have it if both driver and pedestrian are approaching the crossing, and the pedestrian is intending to cross. Same is true for junctions.
Frankly this is how I was taught to drive by my instructor (in 1990), and have given way to pedestrians waiting to cross (junctions or crossings) ever since.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
And there is nothing that suggest a pedestrian can just walk across a road at any point. The new code simply identifies that at a designated zebra crossing, or at a junction, the pedestrian has precedence. If a driver is approaching through a crossing, and the pedestrian already has a foot on that crossing, nothing changed. The pedestrian already had precedence. Now they have it if both driver and pedestrian are approaching the crossing, and the pedestrian is intending to cross. Same is true for junctions.
Frankly this is how I was taught to drive by my instructor (in 1990), and have given way to pedestrians waiting to cross (junctions or crossings) ever since.
I was also taught to drive that way in the '60s - I'm always wary of pedestrians wanting to cross at junctions but if I'm honest I just proceed with caution rather than give way. so these changes do require me to change my old habits.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Tobes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts