Hitch stabliser question

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the weekend had a bit of difficulty un-hitching and hitching up. Is it time for the stabliser pads to be replaced? Caravan is nearly 4 years old and as far as we are aware pads have never been changed. Hopefully a simply DIY job even with arthritis?

Hitch on caravan.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Damien. We were on a slight sideways slope, but have never had that issue previously and being on worse slopes.
Unhitching was just a bit sticky, but when trying to hitch up, it was a real problem despite vehicle lined up perfectly. Hitch would not drop down and had to do a bit of wiggling before it eased its way down.
Once connected I used the jockey wheel to raise the rear of the car to make sure it was connected properly. No issues unhitching when back at storage.

Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I am in total agreement with Damian here, the pads last for ages*, and your issue must be down to something else.
From experience, some residual lateral loading on the ball, whilst trying to unhitch, or misalignment, creating such loading, when trying to hitch would be my prime suspects.

Changing the pads is in itself dead easy, if you can convolute yourself to get down to physically do the job. I found removing the whole hitch head unit was for me the easier way and allowed me to completely service clean and relubricate it whist it was on my bench. To make life easy I put a mandril in place of the rear bolt, to retain the damper; but I have quite a workshop, lathe etc for making up a suitable one.

* I changed our pads, sides, front and back, simply because I had covered 35 K or more miles and thought it was about time, I "should". Apart from doing so also giving the head a proper service, what a waste of time and money changing the pads proved, they had near zero attrition or damage, and never had needed touching.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to both as was concerned that pads were worn. No issue when towing. Must have been us for some unknown reason. :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have never changed the pads on our caravans despite them having covered thousands of miles over six years. What I have noticed is that the hitch on the current caravan requires the tow ball to be far more accurately aligned than previous ones. Not sure if this is a one off or due to a slight change in the design.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I have the same problem - I cannot unhitch. I have put it down to two things: firstly the caravan needs to be directly in line with the car, if it isn't forget it; secondl they car and caravan seem to need to be in the same line horizontally (e.g. on the same flat road). If the first item is true the second can be overcome by making sure the jockey is lifting the tow ball, then plonk yourself in a sitting position on the back bumper (even easier in a SUV or estate) and the hitch will separate.
Damn nuisance though.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've had this a few times with a Winterhoff hitch, I've found the way to prevent it is after arriving on site - but before final manoeuvring onto the pitch - I lift the handle to disengage the anti-snake, while obviously leaving the hitch locked on to the ball. Then move in to the position where I want to un-hitch and do the normal process. Seems to work for me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem - I cannot unhitch. I have put it down to two things: firstly the caravan needs to be directly in line with the car, if it isn't forget it; secondl they car and caravan seem to need to be in the same line horizontally (e.g. on the same flat road). If the first item is true the second can be overcome by making sure the jockey is lifting the tow ball, then plonk yourself in a sitting position on the back bumper (even easier in a SUV or estate) and the hitch will separate.
Damn nuisance though.
Never had that problem, hitch unhitch with the car 45* out of line with the car. Different angles up or down.

. Only time I have had problems was when the tow hitch was compressed or pulled out. The hitch has to be in almost free dimensions.

Reactions: Anseo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts