Hole in roof

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Just back from a dreadful week of weather on the west coast of Scotland at Bunree. Despite buying the screw in storm pegs and a storm strap for the awning it ended up on the roof of the van and was rescued by a number of fellow cararanners as we were off site at the time. Ours was 1 of 3 which went awol, 1 ended up in the water and the other snapped off the roof ariel of the owners van! I thought we had been lucky as apart from one minor ding on the side of the van and a couple of dings in the roof that I could see from the rooflight all looked OK. Sadly only found yesterday that one of the poles has punctured the roof to the rear adjacent to the toilet rooflight (2007 Bailey Pageant Champagne) have filled the tear approx size of my thumbnail with mastic and applied duck tape over ahead of getting it to local dealer for estimate. Insurers claim centre on holiday until Tuesday (which is a disgrace as the centre for new business is open!) Has this happened to anyone on here? If so what sort of repair is carried out, will it affect my warranty, should I get it fixed and trade on quickly etc.

Thanks

Graeme

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Gave this a bump, advise/comment please on what sort of repair, warranty implications, longevity of repair I can expect.

Thanks

Graeme

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
From your description IMO Sikaflx-ing a twopence size piece of skin aluminium over the damage is the best way forward. It will permanently cure the leak and be visually minor. Failing getting a scrap piece of skin from a dealer, I would flatten a bit of aluminium drink can, cutting a circle with scissors and after mounting painting over it with a car paint pen.

As The risk of a leak from a Sikaflex repair is all but zero there would be no grounds for warranty issues.

More extensive repairs bring with it greater risk of consequential problems.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
My Dad reversed his new Ace Brightstar into a tree branch first time out and made a hole in the top back panel. A whole new panel was replaced and no problems at all since.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Graeme.

While our van was in storage over winter, a tile flew off a barn roof due to a storm where we store the van and hit the roof of the van. The hole in the roof was a 50mm by 12mm gash. i took it to the dealers and they first of all checked for any damp that might have of got in, which there wasn't. They then suggested that I buy a Status areial blanking plate from the accessory shop, which I did. They then filled the hole with sealer, sealed and fitted the blanking plate. Now when I look at the top of the van, it just looks as though the areial has been moved. All this cost was

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Whilst new to this 'Wonderful World of Caravanning', the solution to this issue is immediately obvious if you embrace the Lateral Thinking techniques made famous by that wonderful Malteser, Edward De Bono! Simply enlargen the hole and fit another sky-light. Easy peasy lemon Squezy! One has to be positive in life Graeme. Good luck!

ps my recent personal experiences have been such that I would recommend that the work is carried-out professionally!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts