Honda CRV 1.6 diesel

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
I am on my third 2.2 diesel CRV and have found them to be an excellent tow car. Unfortunately the 2.2 diesel engine has been replaced with a 1.6 diesel engine. Apparently this new engine should at least equal, if not exceed, the old 2.2 engine in performance. I am an old fashioned person and am reluctant to believe that a 1.6 engine can match a braw 2.2 engine! Has anyone any experience of towing with the 1.6 diesel CRV? Has anyone experience of towing with both engines?

Cheers

Lawrence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't used either of the Honda engines, but I have used and spoken to a number of BMW and VW base vehicle owners where their most recent model changes have seen smaller engines with claimed better performance, both power and torque and they would say yes, properly engineered modern engines can provide the equal or better performance than older units.

I recognise that BMW and Honda are entirely different companies, and BMWs performance may not be matched by other companies, but the proof is in the pudding and you need to arrange a test drive to decide for yourself if the newer model is man enough for you.

The biggest issue for caravanners is the move to reduce the cars mass, which may render some heavier caravans incompatible with the latest cars.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
there is no substitute for CCs or so the American use to claim.. but main stream engines have gotten smaller and with the use of modern forced induction can and do offer performance that's more than usable in today's mainstream motors.. Honda are no fools,second to none one only has to look at the entries year on year for car makers reliability results to see honda near the top always... i do love these modern smaller engine forced induction units.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lawrence,
I'm currently on my 4th Cr-v, with the current one being the same engine as yours. Honda have been chasing me to swap for the new one for several months now and I did go for an extended test drive but sadly no tow bar. The one i tried had the 1.6 single turbo with 20" (i think) sports wheels.
Power seemed a bit down but not by much, possible just a case of working out where in the rev range it pulls best. It felt like it would be adequate but bear in mind they've changed the towing limits. If you want the same 2000kg as you have now you need the twin turbo and i would have liked to try that but one wasn't available. I would expect it to have more pulling power than our 2.2 though as the single turbo is very close.
Keep clear of the sports wheels though, I hated them. The steering was constantly twitching and kicking not even settling down on a smooth dual carriageway.
Incidentally, drove it for a number of hours over all road types. obviously working it hard at times to find out what it had to give and it returned an easy 55 mpg.
I didn't go for the change simply because it's too soon, I like to keep them for around 3 years and it's only been 2 so they need to tempt me a bit harder!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts