honda crv is it any good for towing

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
Can anybody help, I am changing my car for a 4x4, has anyone any suggestions without going over £10,000. Pull caravan with a saab convertable now but don't want to ruin it. Seen a nice clean Honda crv 2.0 sport, any opinions would be grateful.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I dont think you will find a diesel for less than 10k, so presume you are looking at a 2.0 litre VTEC petrol.

I have a 2003 petrol CRV which I use to pull a 10 year old ABI Jubilee van with an MAW of 1200kgs.

I have no problems with towing although the VTEC is quite a high revving engine with little pulling power at low revs so you will need to make the most of the lower gears, no problem though as this engine is pretty bullet proof and prefers to rev quite highly, not reaching the redline until nearly 7000 RPM.

I find it best to get up to over 4000 RPM before changing up, and find 5th gear only really useable on the flat or downhill stretches, but I still average low to mid 20's to the gallon when towing, and about 30mpg when not.

With the new model out you can get a lot of car for your money with the old shape which has the same mechanics as the new, so all things considered I would say I am more than happy with this car and would only consider a change to diesel if I was to be doing more long distance touring.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
I've not long sold my 2003 CRV and wouldn't recommend it for towing. The nose weight is only 60kgs and yo certainly know you've got a caravan behind you. Then theres the mpg. You have to work it pretty hard to keep it moving even on the gentlest of slopes. Combine this with a tiny petrol tank and you seem to be forever re-fuelling.

I now have a Peugeot 407 HDI, and the difference in pulling and mpg is great.

Good car otherwise though.

If you want that 'type' of car i'd maybe look for an X-trail (diesel)

Gavin.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Dave

Don't know if you've bought a motor yet but I was really set on a CRV until I sat in one. Lovely motor but I'm 6ft 3in and couldn't get enough legroom. Must admit was really surprised and disappointed. Ended up buying Kia Sportage lot more room than the Honda and we're really pleased, tows our Pageant Burgundy no effort.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Dave

Don't know if you've bought a motor yet but I was really set on a CRV until I sat in one. Lovely motor but I'm 6ft 3in and couldn't get enough legroom. Must admit was really surprised and disappointed. Ended up buying Kia Sportage lot more room than the Honda and we're really pleased, tows our Pageant Burgundy no effort.
I take it that was the old style CR-V as the latest one has bags of leg room front and rear.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Gavin wrote:

I've not long sold my 2003 CRV and wouldn't recommend it for towing. The nose weight is only 60kgs and yo certainly know you've got a caravan behind you. Then theres the mpg. You have to work it pretty hard to keep it moving even on the gentlest of slopes. Combine this with a tiny petrol tank and you seem to be forever re-fuelling.

The nose weight on the CRV II from the 2005 model year facelift ('squarer' grille) is 100kg, it was only 60kg prior to that I would agree that the tank is small - I struggled to get 300 miles per tank out of my petrol automatic solo, though the manual is better, at least when not towing.

I now tow about 1200kg with a CRV II diesel which is fine.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Gavin wrote:

The nose weight on the CRV II from the 2005 model year facelift ('squarer' grille) is 100kg, it was only 60kg prior to that I would agree that the tank is small - I struggled to get 300 miles per tank out of my petrol automatic solo, though the manual is better, at least when not towing.

PS - I think the makeover fo the 2005 model year also involved stiffer suspension - that might have made a difference. I nver towed with my 2002 CRV II auto.

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
Gavin wrote:

I too am considering a 2006 CR-V and have seen a nice example that is just in my price range.

It has a fitted detachable towbar which slots into a socket at the back. I suspect this is hondas own system as it is very neat and professional looking - but I wasn't really paying attention to any markings on it. The detachable bar slides in horizontally and has a couple of lugs at the front then a lock and key assembly then a long neck and the ball.

Anybody any experience of these?

Is this compatible with AL-KO stabilisers? If not can you get replacement AL-KO towballs?

I really like the car but it really is at the limit of what I want to spend. If the towbar is compatible with my caravan I think that will be the decider.

TRENDING THREADS