Honda CRV or Toyota Rav

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I am considering buying either a Honda CRV or a Toyota Rav diesel around 4 to 5 years old. My caravan is a Sprite Alpine with an MTPLM of just under 1200 kgs. Which would be the better by in all respects, any info would be appreciated.

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Hugh

I have a rav4 3 door 2003 and pull an eldis elision 400/4. I find it a very good towing car nice and solid on the road I think the max MTPLM is 1340 and nose weight is 75kg. When not towing it returns about 40 to the gallon and is very comfy.

Sorry I cant help with the crv Im sure someone else will be able to help

Mark.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't comment on the choice but check that the RAV is diesel. Also check the max tow weight and tow ball limit on crv as these were at one time very low.

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
I have just sold a CR-V 2.2 Diesel Exec. that I bought new 5 years ago. It was totally reliable, never went wrong, held its value well, could have sold it several times over. It towed 1400KG all over europe with out any problems including several visits to the alps. Towing limit is 1500KG and nose weight limit 100KG so your Sprite would not be an issue.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
We had a 2008 RAV4 2.2 disel until recently (bigger caravan - needed bigger car). It was great - towed really well, not a single problem with it. The only negatives were that the boot space is not huge, and there was no spare wheel.

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you to you all for your replies I have bought a 2005 Honda CRV.Now to see how it performs. It is already cheaper to tax and insure than my Freelander.

Regards

Hugh

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Hugh.

Ive just bought a 2006 2.2 diesel CRV and found it to be a very comfortable vehicle.

Im averaging 41.5mpg overall.

Had a detatchable swan neck towbar/twin electrics and relays(to bypass the rear parking sensors)for £400.

The only pain in the b*m,is having to unzip the spare wheel cover to enable when i hitch up/unhitch.(will have to show the other half how to do it for me).

So far i reckon its a great vehicle so lets hope we both enjoy for years to come.

Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We do like the look of the Honda CRV, Looking around the C.C. site their was quiet a few of those model and the X-Trail as well, But what surprise me was how quiet the engine was and the door shut nicely not to slam the doors like other people do on hoilday,
But for the road tax that something else to think about for the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts