Honda CRV

Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
We have recently taken delivery of a new Bailey Ranger 6 series (540/6) and I think our current towcar is not really quite up to comfortable towing (we have a citroen Picasso diesal with a legal max of 1300 kg, and with the Bailey at a MPTL of 1300kg we are legal but over the ideal 85% limit and although I'm an experienced caravanner I would prefer a bit more of a "cushion" in the event of windy conditions etc).

I am considering a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel 9probably a 2005/06 model) and wondered if anyone had any comments on this car. We wanted something that was good for towing but not too big and heavy for everyday motoring.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jerry

We purchased a 55 plate CRV diesel two years ago to tow 1350Kg and it does it effortlessly. I think you will find there are several Honda fans on here who will extol the virtues of the vehicle. We have done about 30K in ours with no issues whatever. We get in the region of 30ish to the gallon towing and 40ish solo. It dealt with snow in winter without skipping a beat and has pulled us out of a couple of muddy situations with ease. OK it hasn't got a dozen gearlevers and tractor tyres but it does what we want of it admirably

The only downside I can think of is Hondas parts prices but I have mine serviced with a local independent anyway so it's not such an issue.

I would suggest trying one for ride and comfort to make sure you are happy with it from that point of view and if you are don't hesitate.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Jerry,

I use a 2.2 diesel CR-V, and find it a fine tow car - as well as a really comfortable solo drive. We have towed all over the UK with it and it has been first rate. I get around 28mpg towing and up to 44 mpg solo - though this varies depending on conditions. The engine uses a bit of oil when new, the six speed box has (in my opinion) one gear too many, and it seems to munch through tyres a bit quickly. If you are thinking of 51 plate it may have just five gears, so that bit may not apply. I would certainly buy one again!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The CRV II diesel came out in March 2005, just after a useful facelift to the range that improved handling and upped the noseweight allowance from 60kg to 100kg. The towing limit is 1500kg. We tow 1200kg with ours, with no problems. The combined fuel consumption of about 42 mpg is achievable solo; towing reduces it by 10-15mpg. The worst towing mpg we have had is about 25, the best 33.

As far as I know, all the diesels are 6 speed. I use 6th when not towing, but for towing it seems no less economical treating it as a 5 speed.

I have had no problems in 70,000 miles, excepting the "rear diff groaning" which occurred at about 35,000. This is caused by water getting into the case through the breather and rusting the surfaces of the multi-plate clutch that engages 4wd. The symptom is a creaking or groaning noise from the rear diff on full lock when manoeuvring. It isn't usually a serious problem and is generally fixed by flushing the case (it's a bit more complicated than that but it's a well known problem and the fix is documented in a service bulletin issued to dealers, mine was fixed in an hour with no disassembly).

Good cars.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jerry

I too tow with a CRV 2.2 diesel.(2006).I have an Abbey Vogue 2 495 with an MPTL of 1480Kg.According to the Towsure matching guide, this is about an 86% match. It is certainly up to the job,no trouble pulling and motorway cruising. I have had 32mpg towing and as much as 50mpg solo. I would point out that I do not drive at the limit regarding speed but drive at a speed that the car "feels" comfortable at,usually about 55 towing (M way) and around 60 solo.The car is a pleasure to drive and is plenty big enough to allow plenty of space. I would certainly recommend it.

Derek

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
The CRV is a good car, typical of the Honda stable. But make sure you like changing gear.

It's fine on motorways towing, but I couldn't live with the six speed gear box of the diesel on cross country routes or towing on Welsh or Cornish roads. I drove a friends CRV outfit and seemed to spend much of the time changing up and down the multi gear box. The six speed manual may offer good MPG, when towing the MPG meter seemed to be sub 20 most of the time unless constantly selecting another gear. Nice car, but with a heavy caravan it was not a relaxing towing experience with six gears. CRV needs an auto or DSG with 'tip style' clutchless change for manual driving.

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
the crv is a good car my son had an 05 plate which he recently traded in for a kia sportage which he loves and is very good on fuel also a seven year warrany and he say its a better tow than the honda

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Jerry, if you can stretch to an 07 new shape diesel CRV then do so, you won't be disappointed.

I tow my van all over and I am over the moon with it, yes it did use LOADS of oil for the first 5 months and I was seriously concerned but now it just get serviced every year with no problem. I am still on my first set of tyres at 25000 miles but will need a couple on its third birthday in March.

The gear box is good and never thought I'm always changing gear!! On a good day on the motorway it will cruise the legal limit in 6th, but more usually it sits in 5th.

Enjoy.

Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
Dear all, thanks for the comments, most helpful. I did get to test drive a CRV on saturday and was very impressed with it. Obviously can't tell what it's like for towing but I see no reason why it shouldn't handle our caravan well.

Now I just need to pursuade my finance manager (wife) that we can part with the cash!

May 1, 2007
Visit site
Dear all, thanks for the comments, most helpful. I did get to test drive a CRV on saturday and was very impressed with it. Obviously can't tell what it's like for towing but I see no reason why it shouldn't handle our caravan well.

Now I just need to pursuade my finance manager (wife) that we can part with the cash!
Get your wife to part with the cash!

It will be the best decision you have ever made.

We didn't even test drive it until we had bought it, then thought maybe we should take it for a wee spin!

We fell in love with the car instantly.

It's the 2009 model and it pulls our Swift Charisma 565 like a dream.

I would say the only gripe is that the gearbox is a bit " rough" it tends to be loud when you are changing gears but if you can put up with that then it is the car for you.

Loads of space and great for driving around town too!

If you want more info let me know, husband is the man for MPG when pulling the caravan etc

Yours Susan

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Just as a final addendum: I too have a '56 2.2i-ctdi and very rarely use 6th gear whilst towing. i have found optimum towing performance and economy at around 2000 rpm (where the highest torque is available). Up to 39mpg towing (at 50 on a long M-way trip) but about 28 average across Summer and Winter towing at 60 on M-ways. Average is 33mpg overall with 3,000 miles towing and about 6,000 miles solo.

The original tyres (Bridgestone) are soft and do wear quickly. I have replaced the front tyres with BF Goodrich Macadams and they are brilliant.

The drive solo is very "car like" and reliability..... well it's a Honda, a neighbour of mine had his first one for 7 years and it only ever needed regular servicing and one set of replacement tyres in that time.

Go for it.

Pete...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My son has a 55 reg 2.2 diesel and from knowldege of his car I would agree with all that the previous correspondents have said. So much so that when he swops it in 2010 I have first refusal so I can then get back to two tow cars, one of which has car-like mpg.

Cheers

Other Clive

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I cant understand why the new xtrail doesn't appear as popular as the old one, but then there is now about 20 4x4 types to pick from.When i had the 2.2 xtrail 2004, at the beginning of this year i was looking to change.

The new subaru forester? and CRV, were on the short list, i had waited for the audi Q5, but when it arrived with only a 80kg nose limit, i dismissed it.

So i test drove the subaru diesel, a brilliant engine, but the interior was a let down.

I had long coveted the 251 pound feet of torque, that the CRV produced, over the xtrails 231, so i was really disappointed when i test drove it, it wasn't an improvement on the xtrail, just didn't perform the same as the subaru, both were over priced for what you got.

So in the end i bought my 4th nissan another xtrail (173hp, 266 pound feet at 2000rpm), it has a huge boot, good performance, the engine revs more like a petrol engine than a diesel, (much like the subaru), and comes with excellent economy.

But just to put icing on the cake, i haven't as yet had to go the the dealer once, not one problem of note, not one recall,(the last xtrail had two). And the engine is a renault one!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Not sure what happened with the last post, hope this one makes sense.

When i had the 2.2 xtrail 2004, at the beginning of this year i was looking to change.

The new subaru forester? and CRV, were on the short list, i had waited for the audi Q5, but when it arrived with only a 80kg nose limit, i dismissed it.

So i test drove the subaru diesel, a brilliant engine, but the interior was a let down.

I had long coveted the 251 pound feet of torque, that the CRV produced, over the xtrails 231, so i was really disappointed when i test drove it, it wasn't an improvement on the xtrail, just didn't perform the same as the subaru, both were over priced for what you got.

So in the end i bought my 4th nissan another xtrail (173hp, 266 pound feet at 2000rpm), it has a huge boot, good performance, the engine revs more like a petrol engine than a diesel, (much like the subaru), and comes with excellent economy.

But just to put icing on the cake, i haven't as yet had to go the the dealer once, not one problem of note, not one recall,(the last xtrail had two). And the engine is a renault one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts