Hot Air Balloons

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Some of you will have seen in my previous posts that my son and daughter went on a hot air balloon flight last Sunday.Now I meant to ask whilst I was there but forgot,why do they only fly early morning or in the evening and not during the day?

I am sure that one of you clever lot will know the answer :eek:)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Stable in what sense,do you mean less turbulence from thermals.They will not fly unless the wind is very light and there is no risk of rain or thunderstorms.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
It doesn't say any more than this on BalloonsoverBritain.co.uk but I suspect that if the air is cooler at these times of the day, it will be easier for the balloon to lift.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Winds are generally most favorable the first hours after sunrise. The sun's uneven heating of the earth's surface causes strong, variable winds. In the morning, it takes a few hours for the sun to heat the earth's surface enough to generate the thermal activity that creates wind. Ideal winds are three to six miles per hour.

Source http://www.agrapeescape.com/faq.html

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if you were in that incredibly colourful - psychadelic almost - balloon, flying near Alton, Hampshire, last Sunday evening. I was driving home from our New Forest site at the time. It had a much wider basket than usual and was full of people. I wondered - how on earth will that thing land safely? Do they come down gently these days - last time I was in one (much smaller), the basket dragged along the ground for some way...!!??

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
No it was a 'Virgin' balloon which is bright red and we were near Evesham,Worcestershire.The basket holds around 16 including the pilot.The landing was bump free with just a bit of drag for about 12 feet which will always happen because of the wind on the balloon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hey Plotter you have given me a wonderful idea now. If as you say you were in the Worcester area that is not far from Hereford. Whey hey Lord B. look out I can now pass OVER the county/town of Hereford and you will not be able to touch me. However I can drop various things on you from a great height. BRILLIANT.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Good thinking, however one possible problem the prevailing wind seems to be towards the South East,so I think you will need to research wind directions in Hereford area and then find a launch site in right direction.I do like your plan and given these balloons hold up to 16 people who else wants to come along for the bombing raid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sir if the prevailling winds are of a soth easterly nature we could take off in Wales and fly over Offa's ****. Maureen if we fly high enough his feeble bow and arrow will be of no use to him. I would like to be Dick Dastardly and have my dog Mutly.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Colin/Maureen,I need to pick your brains,If we are to succeed in our plans to bomb his Lordships stately home we need to plan(plot) without him finding out so that he will not be ready for us.My ancestor thought his plot was secure but look where he ended up.I am thinking along the lines of a transparent balloon so that he will not see us coming.Any thoughts?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very difficult as at most of the time he appears to have his head in the clouds. How would it be if we went by night? - I can read a compass and use a scale rule to plot our way. We can get in touch with one of his maid servants to give him a strong cup of Horlicks which should see him gone to beddy bys for the night.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Good plan get one of his maids to get him in bed early only thing is he might be in favour of that.OK night time it is using a black balloon but how do we hide the flame from the burner,maybe Nov 5th so that we can be mistaken for fireworks.

TRENDING THREADS