House Purchase-Big Whinge

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
OK I am about to let off steam so please be warned you may get bored
smiley-undecided.gif

My son has had an offer on his house and made an offer on another one, this has been on going for just over 3 months and contracts were to be signed in a weeks time. now bear in mind the considerable expense to my son for surveys, solicitors, certificates etc etc,
the guy buying his house has pulled out. He is obviously devastated.
Why oh why is there no comeback for him in this day and age? Once some one has agreed and gone this far why are they allowed to pull out without paying his cost, It Really Stinks.
Ok if they were a young couple buying the house and perhaps one lost there job or something I could then perhaps understand and have symphathy, but the jumped up, big headed, son of a ------- buying the house was boasting about his empire as a landlord, renting out house's here there and every where. I really have no time for people like this and really hope he --------------------No Kev, think you had better stop now
Thanks for listening, Rant over.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Similar thing happened to my son and DIL 14 months ago only they were first time buyers.
The estate agent phoned them while they were on a coach at Heathrow waiting to come home after a holiday in Morocco. He said that the people whose house they were buying had decided not to sell. The galling thing was that the estate agent then told them that this pair of worthless sh*te had already done this once before. They lost almost £1000 but it wasn't just them who was annoyed but also my wife and I because we'd given them the money.
It's no different than flushing £1000 down the toilet. Same result, nothing to show for it. How people can be allowed to get away with this robbery in this day and age beggars belief because that's all it is, robbery. People who do this are no different than muggers.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
kev was it mr popodopolis who ownes the landret in east enders hes got a lot off propertys ask dot she may help (chill kev baby) its a new day man love not war /lol .gump your long lost son .(but better looking),

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think HIPs got scrapped last year and replaced with an Energy Performance Certificate.
It's high time Laws were introduced to protect people like LBs and Surfers kids.The Seller knows full well the Buyer has to spend hard earned cash on surveys etc. If on a whim the Seller pulls out then they should be made to fully reimburse the Buyers wasted costs.
I'm surprised no to my knowledge has tried to recover these losses via the Small Claims Court.
Or maybe someone knows a good leg breaker??

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Surfer said:
Doesn't the seller also have to fork out money for a HIPs pack which in my opinion is a waste of money?

Agreed, HIPS is a waste of money but I believe this is being scrapped by the government if it's not already. The point is though the person who is buying couldn't give a toss how much the seller loses if it's the seller who reneagues on the sale. The same goes for the seller if the buyer pulls out. The fact is the innocent party loses hundreds of pounds through no fault of their own and this shouldn't be allowed to happen. As I said before, the guilty party are no better than muggers in having deprived you of hundreds of pounds but this is allowed to happen legally. My son has since bought another house but had to pay all over again.
I wouldn't think solicitors are too keen to see this nice little earner ended though. Scottish law doesn't allow it to happen there.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just like LB it is paramount to Robbery, we live in Devon and my son has been working in london ,away from home, grafting day and nights (Rota) and even xmas day + boxing day just so some one can kick him in the head!!!!!!!
Yes think the HIPS has been scrapped but he still had to pay out and obtain Electric, Gas, Drainage plans and the Window Fensa Cert which he had for all but one window (which was there from the 60's), so he then paid for the building inspector to come and check it-- cost another £230.00 but at least he willl have that for the future. But everything else for the new property has been WASTED.
The more I think about it the more my blood boils.
Like previous post's if they have committed ,that should be that, I like the Scottish rules.
Perhaps even the estate agents should have some kind of responsibility, just a thought

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev
My apologies it was your son not Surfer. Blonde day.
Is there any possibility of trying the Small Claims Court ?
It just extracts the urine this kind of thing.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Kev
My apologies it was your son not Surfer. Blonde day.
Is there any possibility of trying the Small Claims Court ?
It just extracts the urine this kind of thing.
Funny you should say that DD, I have just spoken with him and without any prompting from me he mentioned the very same.
Think he is going to speak with his solicitor first and then take it from there.
But if we know the rules and regs in this country will he really stand any chance of compo.? It's actually cost him, just on the new home alone nearly £1500.00 (when he get's final solicitors bill).

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I suspect that there are legal reasons for agreeing to buy a house NOT being a contract ....... at least until paper contracts are exchanged. Ebay have a Property Section, but stress that bids are not legally binding on either party.
A couple of years ago, I wrote to a Conservative MP (not mine) suggesting that the latest recession began with the introduction of HIPS. Eg .... House owners could no longer just stick there house on the market, see if it would sell, they now had to pay a few hundred pounds up front. "Let's not bother!" Fewer houses for sale, so fewer buyers, death of the feel good factor.. The MP replied, thanking me for pointing this out. Was it me that caused the end of HIPS? OK, there is still the Energy Efficiency thingy, which just might be a good thing, but it shouldn't be needed until you have found a buyer.

Consider auctions to sell your house. You should get a bid within a few weeks. Contracts are exchanged immediately after fall of hammer, completion is about 4 weeks later. If the buyer drops out, you (or someone) keeps the 10% deposit which was paid on the fall of the hammer. The disadvantage is that you have to pay the auction fees (win or lose), plus the estate agents fees but only if you sell. Watch homes under the hammer, morning TV.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
My house has been on the market for 5 months, and we've only had 3 viewers, 2 of those were complete timewasters.

So if anyone wants to buy a lovely traditional 3 bed semi in Scunthorpe, give me a shout.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
So if anyone wants to buy a lovely traditional 3 bed semi in Scunthorpe, give me a shout.

Hi Rick,
No, I don't want to buy your house, but if I did, the first thing I would do is to do a Google for your house number and street name to find out what Zoopla rate its value. Amazing to find that you can access your house through Google!
You should also log onto www.preloved.co.uk, register, than list your house. Its free, and you can post a picture. Also lots of room for text ....... so use it! Adverts last several weekls, if not months. You can access adverts just by logging in, but if you sign in, the first adverts listed are those within 50 miles of your post code.
There is also a forum for just about anything ..... or you can start one.
OK, if YOU sell your house, you will probably have to pay the estate agent still. But the object is to sell your house, not save money. Introduce any potential purchasers to your agent, if you are paying him, make him work.
Check that your house is listed on www.rightmove.co.uk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
"How people can be allowed to get away with this robbery in this day and age beggars belief because that's all it is, robbery. People who do this are no different than muggers."

You are a very strange person LB, Only you could compare someone backing out of a house deal as a robber, when you actually gave him no money. Only you could compare this action by a house seller to a crime as serious as mugging! and actually really mean it.
The only way around these type of incidents would be to have a indemnity of about £1000 for any party involved in a housing transaction held say by a solicitors office . if somebody then pulls out they loose their £1000 or part of that £1000 to cover injured parties costs. other parties get money back after completion. But there would still be losers, as there are numerous reasons why people "back out" maybe they got caught mugging somebody in the street....................

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Some good news and some bad news just to update you.
Son has had an offer on his property today, cash buyer.
Bad news the house he was buying went back on the market for £5k more than his first accepted offer.

Now Johnny if that aint a mugging I dont know what is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
You are a very strange person LB, Only you could compare someone backing out of a house deal as a robber, when you actually gave him no money. Only you could compare this action by a house seller to a crime as serious as mugging! and actually really mean it.

Gagakev said:

That's Gio for you Kev, the forums politically correct wet liberal lovey.
smiley-wink.gif
Just don't expect him to understand or feel for those who have been swindled out of hundreds of pounds. His sympathy will always lie with the miscreant hence his excuses for them in his post
smiley-laughing.gif

..... but cum here, there's more ..... he calls ME strange
smiley-surprised.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Some good news and some bad news just to update you.
Son has had an offer on his property today, cash buyer.
Bad news the house he was buying went back on the market for £5k more than his first accepted offer.

!I am amazed the price has gone up when we are being told that nothing is seling. clearly the buyer feels he can get more!Nothing wrong with that.
Mugging? No. EVERYBODY would want to get as much as they could for their house, car,and cararavan.!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
You make and agree a deal and at the last minute you pull out causing the buyer/seller hundreds, if not thousands of pounds, and Gio says "there's nothing wrong with that".
Well my reply to Gio is that people with your attitude and selfish, greedy outlook is all that's bad about Britain. I just hope and pray that you get ripped off thousands. Just don't forget to tell us though so we can gloat
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
You make and agree a deal and at the last minute you pull out causing the buyer/seller hundreds, if not thousands of pounds, and Gio says "there's nothing wrong with that".
Well my reply to Gio is that people with your attitude and selfish, greedy outlook is all that's bad about Britain. I just hope and pray that you get ripped off thousands. Just don't forget to tell us though so we can gloat
smiley-laughing.gif
LB
I can sell you a super duper home made effergy of Gio for £100.
You will have to provide your own pins
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
smiley-laughing.gif
LB
I can sell you a super duper home made effergy of Gio for £100.
You will have to provide your own pins
smiley-laughing.gif

I don't need pins, I've got a couple of sets of darts I no longer use
smiley-laughing.gif

Well, I've cut the grass DD so it's time to be away again on Sunday. Missus has been busy going around the houses selling the clothes pegs I've whittled to pay for the site fees
smiley-laughing.gif

I hope your FIL is ok now and is home and feeling somewhat better.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
smiley-laughing.gif

Treat others how you would expect to be treated yourself is a good adage to follow Gio
smiley-wink.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not taking sides or blaming anyone in particular but I see that the same old animosities are creeping back on to this forum.
Nobody wants to start deleting posts and sending warning emails but I'm sad to say that if it doesn't stop that's what will start to happen.
Continuous petty bickering between forum members trying to wind each other up adds nothing to the forum or to other members enjoyment of it.
Stop using this forum as a platform from which to attack each other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts