How far south in France to get better weather?

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
We're setting off next weekend bound for southern brittany. With site booked and deposit paid. Looking at the forcasts is just grim. my wife suggests heading further south and losing our site deposits (not the end of the world I suppose anything for a bit of sun) but with 2 adults and three teenagers on board the thought of driving a long way down and back is almost as bad as two weeks in the rain if when we get there it's just as bad.I know this is a bit of a how long is a... question but. does anyone know if there has been a sort of geographical line in Europe that this weather pattern of deppresions has not gone below? We have in the past gone along with the 'south of the Loire' theory, but then had dreadfull weather in the Vandee region.So perhaps I'm clutching at straws but does anyone have any thoughts.Maybe leave the van at home and fly to Turkey.

Paul.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hello Paul , what a dilema, have done just what your thinking and still had what the locals call unusual weather for the region.I do not think there is a "line"its just up to nature.We have given up thinking about rain and try to go with tempetures .Armed with outdoor gear we enjoy the scenary and when dry its a bonus,of coarse if it is beach holiday not much can be said,however what ever you deceide have a great time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, I've just checked the BBC 5 day forecast for Vannes and it is not really grim. Some days it is light showere but sunny with one day completely sunny. The temperatures are not too bad so perhaps its warming up. The 5 day forecast for Bordeaux is wall to wall sun so perhaps the Landes is the place to be.

G

From experience of many years the 'line' is 50km north of the Med coast before the sun really starts to shine continously. They tell me we are experiencing global warming but as far as I can see it is getting colder and wetter in this part of the world.

Be also aware that a strong wind developes in the Rhone vally towards the end of July, and no it is not the Mistral as we know it, although often described as such, but it can cause a lot of discomfort. Last year was very bad.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul take my advice, we have just returned from the Loire region and we had 2 weeks of grey skys and rain.We spoke of going south after 3 days but stuck it out.Now we are back in "sunny UK" I wish we had because you normally only get one holiday a year and that was ours.

Good Luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul, Having never chanced northern France previously we thought we might try it this year. However, now that we've seen the forecast we're going south. As Andy says we only get one main holiday a year and although the sun isn't the be all and end all - it helps! Bite the bullet leave the rain behind and we'll see you on the med!

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
I did some research on this subject and the area around Royan is in an area described as a micro climate which experiences high temperatures and longer sun on a par with the South of France,it was certainly hot in September for the last 2 years,hope this helps

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I have been worried about the weather in France this year too. However, I've been watching Le Tour on TV over the last week and after a couple of wet days at first they seem to be enjoying good conditions now, and they havent reached the south just yet. So hopefully things are looking up.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul

for many years we did the touring bit, always looking for the sun, we now head straight to Provence and althogh weve had some odd days we generally have good weather( fingers crossed for this year).

Normally once beyond Lyon its much better, having said that weve had some cracking days in Calais at heading home.

Ps Weve returned from Turkey 4 weeks ago it was 43c!!! but we still prefer the caravan in Provence

Enjoy whaterver you decide on

Maddy

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always believe that there is a line across France from about Bordeaux.

Below there you seem to get "southern european" weather.

Friends who live in the Dordogne say it can be 40C in August but, although they have a short winter, it can get down to -15c.

For good sholder season weather inland France below my line is fine. In the winter, whilst it gets warmer further south, to get GOOD weather you need to go to Spain.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
We were in Southern brittany at the beginning of june and the weather was great, we actually planned to carry on south but after checking the weather we stayed put--as the rest of france was under a deluge, ----years ago when we had no internet or long range weather reports you knew that if you headed south you were more or less assured of plenty of sunshine, but the weather is so unpredictable these days you can be in Provence making full use your umbrella, while others are in Normandy lashing on the sun lotion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts