How long before Alko Friction Pads need changing?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I started this thread and then added a Fred Drift about motorcyclists.

Then along came Fred Drift 2 in which we discussed Fred Drift 1.

It's raining here....Fred Drift 3😁

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Could it tell if one pad has cracked or broken... I don't know 🙄

That would require a visual inspection which can be achieved by tapping the side ones out. The front to back ones seem to drop out if damaged rather than simply worn.

As to accuracy - I haven't seen any suggestions that the method approved by Alko has proven to be inaccurate for either the front/rear pads nor the sides. Somebody else may know different.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Yes I was aware of there being some indication but I'm not sure how accurate thus is. Could it tell if one pad has cracked or broken... I don't know 🙄
Only if you take the pads out will you know if it’s cracked, as for how accurate AlKo don’t go for mm accuracy, if it’s near the worn out end of the scale then it’s a change it job, although you could re-shim the pads, but this can lead to the friction pad falling off the resting peg/shaft

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
On first caravan I replaced pads because of grinding noise when doing tight corners. Noise was still there with new pads and on 2nd caravan.

Worth protecting towball with a cover when not in use to slow rust. My car has removeable hitch so just detach when not in use.

TRENDING THREADS