how long before emptying cassette toilets?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
At 0.42pm this must be a wind up !

otherwise I suggest you do a practical test and let us know the result because I doubt anyone has a clue.

Now... for ideal test conditions the following parameters should be applied..........................

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You will be lucky to count it in days; think 24 hours at the most if you are lucky. If one or more is a kid then that's wholly optimistic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How long is a piece of string? A bit of a daft question, really, imo,but bear in mind that the chemical needs time to work. If you empty it too often (ie daily), then you're wasting money using chemicals. I only empty ours when its full.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is an impossible question. It will all depend on your personal circumstances. For us, there's just the wife and me, I generally empty it every second or third day. I dont like it getting too full as I have a bad back, and when full it's quite heavy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How many pints of beer or cups of tea do you all drink?

You could experiment and use a bucket, see how long it takes you to fill it. Don't forget to add flush water each time.

Cheers

Alan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm fairly sure that 'n' who started this topic isn't as interested in emptying the p*** as he is in taking it ;0)

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
There really is no need for some of you to have been so rude.

As I said the other day I am new to caravanning and haven't been before.

What may be obvious to you people who are old hands. It may not be important to you but I have a 2 year old daughter so have to think about everything.

I always thought people that said caravaners were rude and arrogant didn't really mean anything but it is obviously true. Quite frankly I don't want to be surrounded by rude people like you that won't even have the curtesy to reply nicely so have changed my mind.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother saying it.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hello N,

If we go away for the weekend, Friday afternoon until midday ish on Sunday the toliet lasts us all weekend with spare capacity. We are 2 adults and one 4 year old. We use our toliet for everything.

We also store the caravan at home, so I empty the toliet down the sewer in the drive. I have found that once the "contents have travelled" they are more mushed! Maybe that is to much detail.

I know that most people would empty and drain everything, and I expect someone will soon complain about the excess weight being towed around! I guess it depends on your towcar and where you are storing the caravan and also how often you use it as some people drain the hot water and flush tanks every trip, where as I do not. Having a small child also means you have a mobile toliet behind you, and with flush and a tank of hot water you can use the toliet and wash hands when in a layby. It is also worth noting that for number two's its best to have the flap open!

As for overfilling, most toliets have a gauge and you can also see the level. In you manual it should say what to do if it does overfill. If you are unlucky to have this happen (like it did to us) you will only let this happen once! Good luck.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
n.......You must realise that a wide spectrum of people post on this forum, including people who take the mick!

Your question had such a huge number of possible answers as to suggest it was a wind up.

Your latest post adds detail to your original question, and shows you are a mother worried about your 2 year old daughter.

Given all the facts, my advice is for you to join one of the two big clubs(

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
No set time scale to emptying the toilet. you empty it when the indicator tells you its full. depends on how often you use it. If you are on a site with full facilities that you use then you empty it les, if using a basic CL then you empty it more.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sincere apologies for our apparent rudeness n.

If you were familiar with this website you'd perhaps understand why two seperate posts about emptying cassette toilets by someone using a single initial as a name who hadn't used the new member section to introduce themselves in any way might not be taken seriously.

This website sometimes attracts those with a strange sense of humour but you weren't to know that.

Since you're obviously not familiar with the forum welcome, I'm certain that any questions that you may have will be answered willingly now that we know a bit more about you.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We have a near three year old and a 7 month old so understand your problem. We have a cassete toilet in our van and we only use it in the morning and at night. All other times we either use site blocks or when you are out then there is no problem. We went away in september for 4 nights and had to do the stop in layby method as we where toilet training. Once there and once coming home we had to stop. I only emptied it on the last morning and when i got home as we had to stop. On our thetford there is a gauge by your foot that when it gets to about three quarters full it starts to move to the red and thats when i go and empty it - other peoples may be different.

I hope this helps and good luck when you make your outing!!

andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good Day 'n'

Empty the loo before it fills up. Forget gauges and lights that tell when the cassette is filling, just open the flap and have a look inside. If it is nearing full in the evening then empty it so that you do not have to do it during the night.

Is n short for Netti by any chance????

Al

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi n

Me too a first yearer.......

Don't be too offended by the posts. Its a bit nerve wracking on your first few posts and to be fair, the replies you dread are the ones that you got. But I'm quite sure they weren't meant to be nasty. The one about the vindaloo was very funny.

Anyway, the last one before my posting was absolutely spot on. Open the flap and check it. But also, why not do it every day when its not going to be too heavy. We only use it for 1's :) (schoolboy laugh) anyway so its only ever half full. I have to do the water each day so I just do this as well.

When I bought the caravan in June I was warned to never ever let it overflow. This could ruin your caravan for good.

Regards and good luck

Ian

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
It's impossible for the cassette to overflow, the seal between the toilet pan and cassette prevents that. The only way is to fill the pan up to the top and then allow it to pour over the edge....hardly likely !

What you might do though is over fill the cassette so that when you open the flush there is nowhere for the contents of the pan to go. In these circumstances DO NOT close the flush and pull the cassette out to empty it as the remainder of the contents in the toilet will fall through into the cassette locker.

In circumstances such as that leave the flush open on the loo, get a bucket and then instead of pulling the cassette out ,turn the filler/emptying tube towards the bucket,gently open the cap. The contents of the loo will then find their own level clearing the toilet pan.

However, if you empty your loo before it gets critical you'll never have to perform this operation !

Personally, I don't understand why anyone gets squeamish about toilets. Only using them to pee in is daft in my opinion. You can't beat the privacy of your own loo !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will soon get used to the cassette toilet and develop a routine. It's much better to empty it sooner rather than later. During the summer when it's hot I tend to empty more frequently than during the colder months. I also add a bit more than the recommended dose of chemical just to help things along a bit. I also find Elsan Blue much more effective than Thetford Blue.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Ours usually lasts 48 hours - two adults and two young children using it almost all of the time.

A word of caution though relating to a previous post - it is not advisable to travel with water in the flush tank or the hot water tank (in a caravan). It's not a matter of weight but one of stability. Water sloshing about is not good for a stable tow, and people such as the Caravan Club advise against this.

Good luck!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
There really is no need for some of you to have been so rude.

As I said the other day I am new to caravanning and haven't been before.

What may be obvious to you people who are old hands. It may not be important to you but I have a 2 year old daughter so have to think about everything.

I always thought people that said caravaners were rude and arrogant didn't really mean anything but it is obviously true. Quite frankly I don't want to be surrounded by rude people like you that won't even have the curtesy to reply nicely so have changed my mind.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't bother saying it.
well said nicola I totally agree

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts