How long should water heater be left on for ?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

When on site we turn the water heater on for when we need it, we were told by an engineer that it shouldn't be left on electric all the time as this will burn it out and reduce it's life.

It is a bit annoying because one of us has to get up early in the morning to switch it on to ensure we have hot water for showers etc.

Is it safe to leave the water heater on all night and all day on electric ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian, in all the years we been caravaning we all way leave the water heater on at all time, once the temperature reach it point, it will cut it self off then come back on again, So no need to worry, Trevor

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Trevor

Thanks for the quick reply,

Whilst away in Feb half term we accidentally left the water heater on all night and my wife says it was the longest shower she had ever had in the van because the water didn't go cold, could it be that if the water heater is on for longer that it will be more efficent ?

As you said it turns itself off anyway once it reaches its heat so I dont see why we were told never to leave it on electric.

Thanks again

Ian

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As soon as I've got the water up and running I turn on the heater switch and it stays on until I drain the water before we leave. I've always done this, a bit too late to change now :O)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some heater elements go on for years with no problems, others do not, just as with domestic kettles.

There is no reason not to leave it on all day and night, as long as you have made sure the tank is full before switching it on.

The more important item to consider is the gas side of the heating.

If not used fairly regularly,even for a short time, the gas valve becomes stuck and is a real pain to replace on the Ultrastore, as it requires removal of the whole unit amongst other things.

I would recommend running the gas side of the heater for at least 10 minutes every time you use the van, and for a a few seconds every month during the winter(just switch it on, let it light then switch it off)

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Both

Thanks for the replies !

From now on I think we will leave it on 24/7

Damian - when we arrive on site we fill the water heater then switch it on gas and then swap to electric once it is heated.

We have never ignited the fridge though is this something that should also be done ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, yes with any gas appliance it needs to be fired up occasionally to keep it in good working order.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
One thing I notice about leaving the hot water on. With the heater under the bed it can get quite warm in bed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

There is some truth in what was said, As with any appliance the longer it is used the sooner it will

fail, But, in the context of a caravan water heater the mean time before failure will probably be greater that all the holiday hours you can log.

These appliances are all produced these days to be thermostatically controlled, which means they should be safe to leave on 24/7. If in the event that the thermostat should fail, there is a secondary safety device to turn the power off.

The apparent improved shower duration is nothing to do with its efficiency, it is down to the fact that the water stratifies as it is heated, so the majority of heated water collects at the top of the tank. The top reaches its maximum temperature more quickly than lower levels in the tank. The lower levels progressively get warmer the longer it is left on, - up to a point.

As for efficiency, The longer the heater is left on the less efficient it actually is, consider, if the heater takes 30 minutes to heat up, but after an hour it is still only the same temperature, but the element has turned off a couple of times, then it has used power but there has been no temperature gain, so the longer it is on, the less efficient it is.

If you are concerned about waste of energy, then you will turn the heater off when it is not needed, but you must then remember to turn it on some time before you need it again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I work away from home and use my van for living in as well as holidays. The water heater is left on 24/7, 350 days a year come rain, shine and snow! Never had a problem apart from the odd plastic union springing a small leak. (They get brittle with time and usage, but I've had some serious usage in 4 years constant use!!)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our water heater is on electric 24/7 when on site - it's controlled thermostatically which avoids the need to keep switching it on and off as it's done automatically.

This doesn't overload the heater or use excess electricity but some people think they know better !!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

almost universal agreement on this topic(for a change) how nice?.

in answer to your post Ian there is no reason to turn off the heater when on electic or gas as it is designed to work in that way, the same as a domestic system only smaller and can safely be used 24/7 provided the water system is allways full and not run short of water in which case the heater should be swiched off.

they can also be run on gas and electric for short periods to boost the heat "like when first turning on to get quick hot water and to make showers last a bit longer.

also the water should be heated occasionally by gas only with out electic and gas used when the heater is first turned on to make sure the gas jet and ignition don't become stuck from non use as damian has said.

the above advice was given to me by caravan engineers who service vans for the trade, I have allways used it and never had any problems so I will pass it on to you.

colin

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
WE leave ours on all day, just switch off at night, why? I dont know just do.

How do we turn on the water heater using gas, its an ultra store... I kknow gas is useas it has the pipes, just dont have a clue?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Rubix - even on low current sites the heater can be left on 24/7 - once it gets the tankful up to 70 degrees the thermostat will cut it out.

If everyone on a low current site turned their heater off overnight, it would probably blow the site supply when they all turn it on at the same time in the morning!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I put our water heater on to heat up the water then when we've used the water, we switch it off. I never thought about leaving it on all the time. Mind you, I'm doing my bit for global warming arn't I? Smiley icon thingy.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts