How secure is the Alko wheel lock?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
As the heading really, this is the first time I have had one of these,
so how difficult is it for thieves to remove these locks?
what would they use to get it off without damaging the wheel?
How long would it take and obviously there would be some noise involved.
I know if they want it they will get it.!!

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
As the heading really, this is the first time I have had one of these,
so how difficult is it for thieves to remove these locks?
what would they use to get it off without damaging the wheel?
How long would it take and obviously there would be some noise involved.
I know if they want it they will get it.!!
We have had one on all our vans. Our second van was stolen. The Alko wheel lock was in place. No idea how they got it off, how long it took or how much noise it made. As you say, if they want it, they will take it.

Reactions: Gagakev
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They use a rotary cutting disc, the bigger the better, between the wheel and the brake. Less than 2 minutes.
Sometimes the towrags pull the van away maybe a mile with the locked wheel so they can cut the lock off somewhere quiet.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The last one I saw was done with cutting torch, not much noise, wheel and wheel arch were trashed. Generally the thief’s are not to bothered about the damage

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But they still have a delaying/deterrent effect on would be thieves depending on other aspects of where and how it is stored.
FE15BE9B-F4D4-452F-9747-9F2CCE91D1BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of the reasons why we have a Proactive Phantom tracker instead of the reactive tracker fitted by so many manufacturers these days to save costs. Any disturbance of the caravan and the alarm is triggered.
This is in addition to the 2 ALKO locks and the ALKO Secure hitch lock. Hopefully they will move onto an easier target rather than be delayed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The ALKO lock is almost certainly the most secure practical deterrent on the market and needs an expert thief to remove it. It reduces the risk of theft considerably but not entirely. The most secure is almost certainly a Milenco one filled with concrete. but due to its weight this is only practical for use at home.
Thieves are basically businessmen and will look for the best return for the least effort, so if given a choice will go for the easiest option, but sometimes they want a specific make and model and will take out almost any defence the owner has put in place. There are no rules, but the better your defence the better the chance of it not being stolen. The idea that if they want it they will take it is true in some cases but is by no means a general rule.
A simple deterrent that costs nothing is to remove all the soft furnishings and leave the curtains open to show this. There is little point in stealing the caravan if you then have to find another similar one and beak in to get them from that one.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
[QUOTE="Raywood, post: 557387, member: 99 The most secure is almost certainly a Milenco one filled with concrete. but due to its weight this is only practical for use at home.

[/QUOTE]
How do you do this?????

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
[QUOTE="Raywood, post: 557387, member: 99 The most secure is almost certainly a Milenco one filled with concrete. but due to its weight this is only practical for use at home.
How do you do this?????
[/QUOTE]
It comes already pre-filled with concrete and it is a standard Milenco product.

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts