How to avoid the Waste Water Run ?!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Having resolved my water intake challenges(How to avoid the Water Run ?!) I now want to turn to the subject of the waste (grey) water. Normally I use a WasteMaster and trek off daily to empty it. However, with mains water and grey water waste drain on pitch, I can easily fit an extension pipe (6 metres) from the caravan waste pipes to the drain itself.

Question : would you use the same corrugated grey plastic waste water outlet hose, or would you use a hose that was 'flat' when not actually full of water; i.e. much less bulky?

I suspect the answer is to use the thicker corrugated grey plastic piping to facilitate water flow, but I want to seek your opinions.

Any tricks of the trade to ensure that the grey water flows smoothly and easily and does not get blocked up would be welcome. Yes, we know to remove all food waste and only expel grey water.

Thanks

John

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Hello john

Good Question when we are trying to keep weight down on caravans but I think the flat hose option is good but will you not need a little presure for the water to get through it but it will have to be tried and tested .Ian.L

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, I have read of some people who use lengths of rigid plastic pipe, which is stored by fitting clips under the van to avoid trying to store it inside the van, and using suitable connectors to join the pieces together on site.

The important point with waste water is getting a suitable downfall to the drain, with lay flat hose, or even the flexible corrugated pipe this will be difficult, if not impossible.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lay flat works fine, carrugated type ribs will hold silt and any bits to whe re the flat does not, all the water is also easily ex pelled as you rol the flat hose up.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
we have done this for quite a few years - and it was easy to do it .

We use solid walled pipe offcuts - and actually have 2 - the smaller one has a pushfit connection on it and joins to another on the outlet from the caravan .

We can normally manage to get a downward slope.

We haven't yet adapted the Abbey for this - that's still in the planning stage - but we have a small container that we used last trip . We find that the Wastemaster is both bulky and heavy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Flat hoses sound like a good idea John, but (there's always a "but") do you ever see anyone using them?

Answer is no, because they do need a little pressure to keep the bore open and your drain does not supply enough. There is also the problem with kinks in a flat hose, although you may run it out straight, as sure as eggs are eggs, it will develop a kink. Then there are the reasons for ridged pipes. Hold them, the weight nothing, and can be coiled to take up little room.

Like I said, good thinking, but not practical.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Yikes; looks like you are all saying that is walking the WasteMaster or putting together a contraption of solid walled pipes. The latter sounds like a project; especially getting them all secured beneath the caravan. Ah well......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I use the smaller bore old black piping because I'd got some !!!

It coils up into one of those cheap tartan shopping bage and weighs very little.You can soak the length in a bucket of hot water with disinfectant once a year or so.

It drains well enough but reading the postings I am considering putting a length of rigid piping from the side outlets to the rear as most drains are at the rear of the caravan.This could be connected up via a Y piece and a short length of flexible pipe when a drain was available.This would give a better fall and the flexible pipe would then go fron the rear outlet to the "drain"

We used a disused rabbit hole in Brittany for 5 weeks this year and a mole hole in Germany one time.

The last site we stayed at in Cheddar the owner came along with 3in + blue rigid water pipe and piped the waste waster into the hedge bottom!!

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
John, standard 11/4" domestic plastic drain pipe is perfect. If you add a push fit in line connector to one end, then your grey corrugated felxible tube will be a leak free fit to the other side of the connector. As pipe clips to match are easily available too, use these to hold the pipe under the van.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John, standard 11/4" domestic plastic drain pipe is perfect. If you add a push fit in line connector to one end, then your grey corrugated felxible tube will be a leak free fit to the other side of the connector. As pipe clips to match are easily available too, use these to hold the pipe under the van.
Thanks Chris I'll pop to B&Q and take a look!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And its thank you from me too !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris have now fixed a 2 metre length of 11/4"plastic pipe under the van from the 2 side outlets to the rear centre of the van.

My old length of black waste pipe will fit inside for 2 metres and the excess is looped under the back of the van with pipe clips.

The end nearest the side outlets is going to be fitted to a similar outlet and then the Y connector from the existineg sockets can connect to the fixed new pipe via the new socket.

When a drain is available the old black waste can be pulled out and will go from the new socket on the van rear to the drain .

Thanks for the tip about the grey waste fitting a 11/4" push fit outlet.

Cost was about

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Glad you found this useful-I discovered it when looking for a neat way to link twin drains in to the single Wastemaster entry point. Did this with T and 90 degree connectors.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Glad you found this useful-I discovered it when looking for a neat way to link twin drains in to the single Wastemaster entry point. Did this with T and 90 degree connectors.
Chris; John (G) is clearly very pleased. However I am sat here wondering exactly what the advice means; probably because I am unsure what a "a push fit in line connector" is. Any chance of a couple of photos; then I could "see" what John (G) is getting excited about! My email is john.stephen@10glebelands.com

Thanks

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Best way to avoid the water run is to stay home. I wonder why anyone would go to al the trouble of towing a caravan x hundred miles and then complain about carrying a bucket of water a few yards each day.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Mike; a little sarcastic I'd say. I am and was not complaining. However when I go to the Lake District there are things I'd prefer to be doing that's all. Just like I'm sure you appreciate your luxuries in the caravan; e.g. electricity and gas etc; I would like it if there was a way to avoid going out and emptying waste water when it's tipping it down !Anyway, thanks for your advice.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike I find that 90% of the time there is no drain available anyway so it all a bit academic but exercises the grey matter.

I prefer the 2 aquaroll system when no drain/tap is available.

One is trundled to the emptying point and emptied while the clean one is filled

.Then the handle is swapped over for trundling back.

You can even manage to carry the watering can full at the same time for filling up the toilet flush.

I always have a bucket to catch the drips when it rains so that this water can be used for the toilet top tank or fires.

Invest in a bucket(or2) John before going to the Lake District and save even more work!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike; a little sarcastic I'd say. I am and was not complaining. However when I go to the Lake District there are things I'd prefer to be doing that's all. Just like I'm sure you appreciate your luxuries in the caravan; e.g. electricity and gas etc; I would like it if there was a way to avoid going out and emptying waste water when it's tipping it down !Anyway, thanks for your advice.

John
John, sarcastic yes, and I shouldn't be, sorry. Connection to an environmentally clean drainage system is far better than allowing waste water to be dumped on the ground.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tony :

I as glancing through my 'diary' from last year's trip tp Keswick; same time as we are proposing actually i.e. end of September / early October; it rained each day, but we had sunny intervals on 2 days !

So yes, when I have to come outside to fill / empty the water at 6am when it's tipping it down, I feel quite motivated to avoid standing getting drenched !

John

May 12, 2005
Visit site
well John, if we didn`t have rain it wouldn`t be called the Lake District, probably the deep valley district,

any way, as we say around here the water only goes as far as you skin and thats water proof.

Tony A.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John, sarcastic yes, and I shouldn't be, sorry. Connection to an environmentally clean drainage system is far better than allowing waste water to be dumped on the ground.
Mike; no problem; we all get out of bed on the wrong side some days :)

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Tony :

LOL (my daughter taught me that; apparently it means 'laugh out loud' !!). Anyway, yes you are so rightl and my wife and I have no problem at all with inclement weather. (Except when I am on the water run...) But....'nuff said !!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts