How to sell a Caravan

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I'm thinking about selling my current caravan privately before buying a new one so as to obtain a better deal at the dealership but not sure about the best way of advertising. I'm also a bit wary of how to go about things at the actual point of sale. Has anyone got any recommendations about advertising, e.g. is the website www.RVsales.co.uk any good? Regarding the actual sale, as the van is worth in excess of £7,500 what is the best way of going about handing it over so that I am not left without a van but holding a bouncing cheque. Thanks

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert, we have been trying to sell our Bailey senator oklahoma for about 4 weeks now, we have put it on 'RV SALES' and 'CARAVAN FINDER' i have priced the caravan and its accessories very competitively, but as yet we have not had a single enquiry, i really dont know what to suggest or what to do myself! sorry i cant be of any real help, best of luck! andrew.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
If your going to sell it on ebay take a look here http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16564&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=scam

Its a very good lesson on what can happen selling on ebay and its very funny

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have found the Free Adds the most productive - almost to much so as there are a lot of timewasters out there.

We also tried RV sales and apart from one phone call 6 weeks after we had sold our 'van we had nothing at all. A complete waste of money.

Do watch out for the "Dutch Scam" where they promise to buy and send you a "bankers draft" that turns out to be nothing of the sort. This often involves them sending you too much so thye punter sends a good cheque back for the excess. Amazing! - but some people have fallen for it.

What about getting your local dealer to put it on the forcourt for a percentage of the sale price. The 'van we have now was sold to us like this - certainly suited us. I also think this is safer as it stops the toe-rags checking out how "nickable" your caravan is and where it is kept.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert - You may find it quite difficult to sell a "high value" van such as your privately, as most buyers will want the comfort of a dealer's warranty and finance facilities, especially if they are new to vanning and/or want to PX a cheaper older model. Whatever you do, do not part with the van until you have cleared funds from the buyer - any genuine purchaser will realize this, or you could ask for a banker's draft, but I believe even these can be cancelled before they're cashed. Shop around the dealers - they will be hungary for business now it's nearly the end of the season.

TRENDING THREADS