How to stop items sticking to toilet bowl ?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Part of the problem with toilet chemicals is that they are not left long enough to do their job.If you empty the pot every day, then it's a waste of time & money putting the chemical in. We've just spent 7 days on a no-facilities CL (two people)and only emptied the pot on the sixth day. No problems, nothing stuck to the bowl, and, particularly important, as my wife is asthmatic,NO SMELL.The chemical used? Kemdirect.We've tried everything else, and they've all failed the smell test after a couple of days.It's not easy to find, but is available on mail order. Google Kemdirect to find the details.

Usual disclaimers, just a happy customer.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
But there is no need to leave Kemdirect for long, Emmerson. I've found it breaks everyting down in a few hours and certainly overnight. There's no way we could leave "emptying the pot" for 6 days since we always use our own loo rather than site toilets. The most we can leave it is two days and if emptied in the mornings before any more numbers twos it's all broken down no problems.

You're right about the "no smell" though compared to other chemicals. Great stuff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We took Kemdirect with us to Spain in March and I have to say I was very disappointed with the product. Yes it broke down the solids very well but it didn't do a lot for the smell.

The smell apart, I would prefer to have a product that goes some way to camouflage the toilet contents. I would prefer to empty a blue slurry than a brown one!

We have a new van and have used Kemdirect in the toilet from new so the usual liquid products have not contaminated the system.

We travelled through Spain in cold weather so it wasn't the heat that caused the problem.

To be honest I was glad when after 2months we ran out of Kemdirect and went back to using Elsan for the final month.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We too were disappointed in the smell element of Kemdirect. Great for breaking down the contents and OK for first couple of days, but any longer and we too noticed more smell.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All thanks for all of the replies !!

After spending a few days in the van we tried the new elsan organic and to say the least it was great, we normally use the blue double concentrate but the smell of it was making my wife sick for some reason.

We had no problems with items sticking to the bowl this time as we flushed before we used it and this stopped it.

I always use public toilets on site but my wife and son only use the caravan toilet, I empty the toilet twice a day so you can imagine how much chemical we use !!

Thanks again

Ian

May 2, 2007
Visit site
If I didn't know any better I would say that everone was talking a load of c***

MikeyW
Why don't you use a good old fashioned toilet brush. I bought a mini version from towsure. This is screwed to the wall next to the toilet, it comes in its own holder that you can fill with diebfectant if you wish. I use this whilst flushing to remove any annoying bits.

May 2, 2007
Visit site
Why don't you use a good old fashioned toilet brush. I bought a mini version from towsure. This is screwed to the wall next to the toilet, it comes in its own holder that you can fill with diebfectant if you wish. I use this whilst flushing to remove any annoying bits.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Firstly, shouldn't this topic be moved to Sh*t Chat??

Secondly, why does the toilet aperture have to be so small?

The crux of the problem is that the hole is not big enough to let everything fall through. Surely, it's not beyond the wit of designers to increase the diameter by a few more centimetres.

The size has hardly increased since Thetford first started making portable loos, and it's great this "unspeakable" subject is being given an airing as I think it's about the only aspect of modern-day caravanning that puts me off inviting visitors/guests...

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I wasn't aware the humans No 2 has evoloved to be bigger than when caravans were first designed :)

So why should it be bigger now than it was, eh Colinn :)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps it's because now we have a different diet Rubix. Then again there are more people eating curries these days so I would have thought the hole would have been big enough. After a Vindaloo it should be possible to stand on the toilet and hit the orifice :O)

Quite close to the sink in a caravan for cooling off as well ... ;O)

It's Ians fault for starting me off on this toilet humour Your Moddyship, I will be good now :O)

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I wasn't aware the humans No 2 has evoloved to be bigger than when caravans were first designed :)

So why should it be bigger now than it was, eh Colinn :)
You're making me flush - that argument can only go straight down the pan...o)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps it's because now we have a different diet Rubix. Then again there are more people eating curries these days so I would have thought the hole would have been big enough. After a Vindaloo it should be possible to stand on the toilet and hit the orifice :O)

Quite close to the sink in a caravan for cooling off as well ... ;O)

It's Ians fault for starting me off on this toilet humour Your Moddyship, I will be good now :O)
After a vidaloo, the orifice is not the only thing I'd hit

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Quote from Scott = "Why don't you use a good old fashioned toilet brush. I bought a mini version from towsure."

We do. Except we got ours from Tesco and Home Bargains. It's the disposable variety where you can clean the loo and dump the "brush" down the hole afterwards.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Quote from Scott = "Why don't you use a good old fashioned toilet brush. I bought a mini version from towsure."

We do. Except we got ours from Tesco and Home Bargains. It's the disposable variety where you can clean the loo and dump the "brush" down the hole afterwards.
Must hurry - to buy this. Hope it's more than a flush in the pan...

Oct 18, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

This is a little bit to much information, about your need,s of mother nature. The only way to sort this out, is just to use the site toilets,either when you are going off site or coming back to site, or just walking about the site, hence you have not got a problem.

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
What in the world are we to do,

regarding a sticky number 2.

Make the ole in the loo bigger some ave said,

some say eat vindaloo instead.

It's a technical quesion that you pose,

Ask Thetford see if it gets up their flipping nose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have not really ever had this problem. if you fill the bowl with the pink water first, we use Elsan, and put all paper in a nappy sack( dispose of in a sealed bin) and I empty toilet every day along with bin, also no problems emptying the loo either.

But everybody has there own ways of doing thing@s , its down to what suits you best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts