Hybrid Cars - Towing Weight - Batteries

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
And some potentially good towcars have a zero towing limit - some versions of Mondeo ST and some versions of BMW M-series.
Yes indeed, and it's not always technical reasons for zero towing limits. If the manufacturer only produces a few cars in the version in question it may not be economically viable to carry out all the tests necessary to determine a towload limit and all the administrative work involved in having it type approved.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Whether batteries are included in unladen weight or not is irrelevant because unladen weight is not the issue here. If anything it's kerbweight that matters and that does include batteries.

Having said that, it's not only hybrid cars that sometimes suffer from abnormally low towload limits. Perhaps some may recall the first generation Zafira 2.0 diesel which had a max. permissible towload of only around 80% of its kerbweight. Strangely, the 2.2 diesel version of the same car had quite a respectable towload limit.

I don’t doubt that, but my reply was in direct response to the OP and the legislation that was quoted/misquoted. In those respects I don’t see it as irrelevant.

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don’t doubt that, but my reply was in direct response to the OP and the legislation that was quoted/misquoted. In those respects I don’t see it as irrelevant.

John
But in his first post the OP referred to unladen weight and all further responses from myself and others wanted to point out was that unladen weight is irrelevant. One can only assume that the OP is under the impression that unladen weight and kerbweight are the same, which they aren't.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
But in his first post the OP referred to unladen weight and all further responses from myself and others wanted to point out was that unladen weight is irrelevant. One can only assume that the OP is under the impression that unladen weight and kerbweight are the same, which they aren't.

Sorry Lutz. I am not contradicting your points, which I fully respect, in the slightest. Simply pointing out that the he misread the legislation.

John

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In simple layman's terms, Peugeot, for reasons only known to them, have deemed that a 3008 hybrid cannot tow heavy loads, unlike certain other hybrid vehicles.

Peugeot along with all other car manufacturers make certain commercial decisions about each model of car. If they decide they would like it to tow, under EU directives, and legislation they have to establish by a series of prescribed tests the maximum load it can tow and complete the requisite tests. That establishes the maximum permitted tow load. Its not a secret to Peugeot it is a well recognised set of requirements that all motor manufacturers follow.

This is no consolation in your circumstances, but it is an answer of sorts to your original question.

Its not a "sort of answer" it's the established methodology that's required by law. And its not a new or hidden process - car manufacturers have had to do this for several decades, and each vehicle capable of towing has its maximum towed load limit listed in its specification's.

I am sorry if the OP wasn't aware of this, but the information is widely available about where to find it. or a version of it can be calculated from the cars data plate.

To find out exactly why Peugeot have come to this conclusion is best taken up with Peugeot research and development themselves.
Good luck ;)

Good luck indeed. Peugeot will almost certainly refer you to the vehicle construction and use regulations and directives - as would every other car manufacturer.

Don't blame forum contributors for the vagaries of legislation - which whilst often complex, in the the case of vehicle manufacture and specification its actually a logical process but becasue of the technology involved it may appear the layman an illogical mess.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I'm sorry but, I haven't ventured here to be patronised, to fight or to have any comment I make ridiculed and dismissed like a school child by faceless keyboard warriors.
I'm not the OP, theirs is not an issue that really concerns me, I'm not blaming anybody, I was merely suggesting an answer to the question from the OP, Jevershed (who hasn't responded since their opening post).
However, this is clearly not acceptable to the intelligentsia on this forum who are all knowing and jump on and disect the minutiae of every comment I make.
So, I bow to this far superior intellect and knowledge and bow out, I've got better things to do.
Good night.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but, I haven't ventured here to be patronised, to fight or to have any comment I make ridiculed and dismissed like a school child by faceless keyboard warriors.
I'm not the OP, theirs is not an issue that really concerns me, I'm not blaming anybody, I was merely suggesting an answer to the question from the OP, Jevershed (who hasn't responded since their opening post).
However, this is clearly not acceptable to the intelligentsia on this forum who are all knowing and jump on and disect the minutiae of every comment I make.
So, I bow to this far superior intellect and knowledge and bow out, I've got better things to do.
Good night.
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and as usual a question from a new forum member has developed into a detailed debate.
Meanwhile, the O.P. has given up, gone and will probably never be seen again.
For Paullus, this is exactly why this forum has trouble in attracting new long term members.
An internet forum is an online arena where discussion and debate takes place, but it would be much better if these willy waving debates took place on separate threads away from the question that was asked originally.
If or when the intelligentsia arrived at a consensus they could add a helpful reply to the O.P. without scaring people away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts