Hyundai Santa Fe Premium versus Kia Sorento XK2

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently looking for a new towcar for my Conqueror 540 (MTPLM 1600kg).This will be a replacement for my 2006 Sorento XS which has been nothing less than superb..
Every review I have read suggests that the Santa Fe is a better bet,it being better to drive solo (the Sorento being described as "poor" in this area),and superior in terms of towing performance.So it looks as if I shall be opting for the SF.
However,all things being equal,I wonder why the reviews come out so positively for one,and so negatively for the other? I acknowledge that price differences impact badly upon the Sorento but,aside from that,aren't,for example the SF Premium and the Sorento XK2, basically the same vehicles mechanically? If not,what are the differences(apart from price) that cause such variance in reviews?suspension?steering?options?handling?etc?
If it weren't for the reviews,I would be leaning towards the Sorento because of the positive experience I have had with my current vehicle and dealer.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Being totally impartial to either make, I have driven both vehicles at a Tow Car event, and both were attached to properly laden Swift Conqueror/Sterling Elite caravans (twin axle versions). Performance was very similar, but stability was a different matter. Whilst the Santa Fe was fine, the Sorento built up a noticable sway at higher speeds (60 - 70 on test facilities). When lifting off the accelerator, the sway got worse (I actually thought I might lose control at one point), but fortunately settled down.
Not withstanding the above, the Santa Fe appears to be better value too. We were expecting good things from the Sorento, but sadly it didn't deliver.
However, with a lighter 'van you could be fine.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Nigel.That explains it.Stability is all to me,so you have further confirmed my initial feelings.
I do have a lighter 'van than that used in your test,but don't really want to take the risk given the price differential between the two cars.
Quite sad though as I prefer the,albeit superficial, looks/interior of the Sorento.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Paul,

I do wonder if the price difference is down to the 7 years and 5 years warranties, Kia and Hyundai respectively? Essentially they are the same car considering the engines, gearboxes and running gear. It does not explain why one has better stability over the other? I had the previous model Santa Fe (2009) and found towing my Swift Challenger 530 (just under1600), the ride quality was awful. I rectified that by fitting spring assisters. They made a massive difference to towing stability and handling when solo. Alas the Santa Fe has gone now, replaced by a slightly older Land Rover Discovery 3.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Paulthomas,
Thinking back, it might be that the Santa Fe (being 7-seater) may have been fitted with self-levelling suspension, whereas the Sorento wasn't. It's strange though as I believe both vehicles are so similar under the skin. I'm sure someone with much more experience of either will be along to give their opinions too. I also notice that the Caravan Club testers alluded to possible instability with the Sorento in their recent Tow Car awards event.
Nigel.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i have at the moment a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7 auto. i have no complaint about the car at all.the new ones the kerbweight is higher and the max towbar is better than mine cos mines only 80kg. we tow a 2008 bailey senator wyoming which is 1678kg.

why dont you look for one of the last old shape sorento it would still be a 2010 model, just an idea but im sure you would get a real bargin out there. you might save yourself some money in the long run.

jo

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Jo-Anne Wyoming said:
i have at the moment a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7 auto. i have no complaint about the car at all.the new ones the kerbweight is higher and the max towbar is better than mine cos mines only 80kg. we tow a 2008 bailey senator wyoming which is 1678kg.

why dont you look for one of the last old shape sorento it would still be a 2010 model, just an idea but im sure you would get a real bargin out there. you might save yourself some money in the long run.

jo
The new model is lighter, more powerful, more economical, more upmarket, and more desirable.
What would you buy?
smiley-embarassed.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
And much much more expensive.
The original Kia was the bees knees a good all rounder and great value for money
The new one is much more expensive same engine and chassis as the Santa Fe and doesnt tow as well, maybe this is due to the car being lighter?
The Santa Fe is now the great all rounder
The Sorento had self levelling suspension as well ,it a mechanical type, very clever works on pressure on the shock absorber

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
ray, i think more kerb weight is more important for twowing than what it looks likes and saving a bit on fuel.

i do prefer the old shape sorento to the new shape anyway. if it was me buying, but this is my opinion only then i would seach every dealer in the uk for the best deal on the old shape 2010 kia sorento and travel to get it. paul thinks his 4 year old sorento is fab and so do most sorento owners so why buy the new shape that kerb weight is less?.

just my opinion

jo

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have had a new version Sorento since last March, and have covered 12000 miles, 6000 of which have been towing my van,which comes in at just over 1600Kg. After some initial misgivings and some re-arranging of the "Junk" I was carting around in the front locker, It has turned out to be every bit as good as a tow car except I now get 28-29mpg when towing. and 38-45mpg solo. The face lift version of the old Sorento returned 19-22mpg when towing and not much better solo. I should add that both cars had auto boxes. As a Solo car, there is no comparison at all, the new version makes the old one seem like a tractor. One other point, the excise duty is half that of the older version auto box model.

Steve W

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Forget either of these two and go for the Mazda Cx-7 2.2 Diesel (forget the petrol -it had awful write ups). I have been towing for over 25 years with Volvos and Freelanders and this is the best towcar I have ever owned. "Sporty" when solo and excellent when towing- plenty of power and a pleasure to drive. it is the only car I have ever had compliments about from friends who are not interested in cars at all !! Some good deals available on Demonstrators - new about 3 month waiting list.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Must say it looks good, but the price is a bit steep.Mazda CX-7 Sport
From £26,995 on the road pricePrice excludes
  • Metallic paint
  • Free Driveaway Insurance**

Steve W

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Nice car but,I THINK, a bit near the margin in terms of 85% guideline (I'm an experienced caravanner but prefer belt and braces approach!).
That sort of money takes me towards the Volvo XC60....which might be worth saving up for.

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
My 4 Month old MAzda CX-7 demonstrator with 4,000 miles on the clock came in at just over £24K. I am towing 2009 Swift Conqueror 540 with it and it is brilliant. I could never manage to accelerate away up a hill in 5th Gear in the Freelander! Kerb weight of 1865 gives 85% of 1585 and that is only close to the Max for the Conqueror of you fill the caravan to the top. Even with all my wifes wardrobe in I don't think I get near that!!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I looked at the Mazda testerday.Very nice indeed.It moves to/near the top of my list.The only reservations relate to residuals and relatively low tow ball limit.BUT an excellent car,and a good solo drive.
Thanks.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Unless your tow car has a 100kg nose weight limit, you will have constant hassle trying to get the nose weight down.
The latest caravans such as the unicorn/peg, have high ex works nose weights, 88kg plus is mentioned on caravan talk, by owners, and quoted by Bailey.
There are lighter caravans of cause, but you need to be aware of potential problems, especially if your interested in the latest luxury offerings.
A mondeo with 90kg, makes more sense than a 4x4 with only 80kg, or what ever it is.
smiley-cry.gif

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My Sorento only has a 80Kg nose weight, but after dumping all the accumulated rubbish from my Swift 530 Utopia, I have no trouble at all getting down to the lower limit. Last year I towed 6000 miles through France & Spain without any problems.

Steve W

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Paul

Pleased to hear it was worth the trip to look at the Mazda CX-7. What you won't find ( or I couldn't 4 months ago) was a Witter Towbar). Apparently they don't make one for this model of Mazda. I was told by local fiiter who has done all my (Witter) towbars over the years, that as Mazda had not brought many of the model into the UK, Witter didn't feel they would get the R&D costs back on a small number of the cars that ended up neeeding towbars. Havng won its weight class in the towing awards they might need to have a rethink on that -if they haven't done so already! I ended up with a Bosal Detachable-Very neat fitting.

Hope you do go down that route and buy a Cx-7 - you will be joining an exclusive club as there are not that many around towing!
Do keep me posted please

Regards

Mike

P.S. Towball weight should not be an issue- I find having a clear out of unused items in the van every so often helps!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The Mazda's towball limit is 85 kg.Not ideal,but manageable.I don't think I will ever want a twin axle as we enjoy moving about a lot,including touring Europe.Not really after a Pegasus or Unicorn as I just don't like the way they look-Personal perspective of course.
However,I could at some stage in the not too distant future change for another single axle Conqueror or equivalent.
I take your point about the hassle involved in ensuring a lower towball limit,but,if a car is also fun to drive solo then it's a price worth paying.Santa Fe and Volvo XC 60 still in contention.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The CX7 is a strange one, the petrol never sold well, only about a thousand overall, the diesel model is the last chance saloon for the model so to speak.
The dealers have been given very good incentives/bonus's to register the model as demo's, this can work in your favour and there is alot of play to negotiate, the 3 month waiting list is Mazda want to build to order and not stockpile.
But as with all 4x4's at present demand for them is very high and i think it will be for a few years

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget that Vauxhall launch their Antara 2 soon.
Forget 5 or 7 year warranty it comes with 100,000 mile. (14000 miles a year for 7 years !!)
With a new 2.2 diesel engine, and cheaper prices than the existing model, it has got to be worth a look.

I have a 2009 CDTIS auto and think highly of it.

Mat

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The old Antara, is effectively a rebadged Chevrolet Captiva which offers 7 seats and secondhand is a bargain.
The Vauxhall 100,000 mile warranty is only open for the first time buyer of the car and is not transferable so demo or secondhand you do not benefit,service intervals are now reduced and you have to have a annual check and also have a strict fair wear and tear policy.
Vauxhall are looking at the warranty being trasferable but this will cost.
Saying that if buying from new looks good on paper as its free.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you look in What Car the Santa Fe came second to the Discovery 4 and the Lexus hybrid was 3rd in the 4x4 category. One of the car brokers is advertising Santa Fe 5 seat premuim auto at just over £21k and its the new 194 bhp version whch would be deliverd toa main dealer and you pay the dealer so no risk to the money.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
the antara is a poor tow car my friend had one and it came to a stand still on a hill towing it could not pull the van up a hill.It was unreliable and the life time warenty was only 100 tho or 7 years witch ever came first and was not inter changerble fule consumption was very bad.He took it back in the end and got a bmw x5 i my self have not had one .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts