Hyundai Santa Fe

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We've had 2 seasons witha Santa Fe, and our Pageant Monarch (1208kg). We caravan all year, use CLs/Css and the occasional rally. We have nothing but praise for it. 38 solo 30 towing (the van is reasonably light though), and so comfortable. Lots of kit for your money and a good drive. (I am 6ft 3in and 15 stone and there's plenty of space. My wife is 5ft 2in and can see out so it suits us both. Our non-towing car is an Alpha 147 and my wife prefers to drive the Santa Fe. If you go for a second hand one ask about the clutch and flywheel. For a while they made them with a fairly light clutch and flywheel which wears quickly. Even so at the right price that is not a problem. One opther warning is don't buy a petrol one, they use masses.

Still an excellent caravanning motor.

Sep 4, 2005
Visit site
hi philip.dont be put off by stinky (i think the name says something about him)he is just another 4x4 basher idiot.a 4x4 is a very capable,practical car for towing,it has its limits and draw backs but there is noting else better in my view for caravaning

by the way stinky i have 4 kids and a dog,i use to own a mpv....a chrysler voyager 3.3 that car was doing much less mpg (14mpg when towing) than my current car which is a toyota landcruiser (25mpg when towing) and the chrysler cost me over a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its great to see good solid practical input on why a 4x4 makes better sense when towing a caravan - or anything else for that matter. I believe it boils down to the fact that most 4x4's are designed to do the job.

In comparison towing with a saloon car is always going to be a compromise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ever hopeful that one day you will be able to take part in an adult conversation on this Forum I will answer your question. It would be nice if you could do me and the other contributors the curtesy of a well mannered responce.

The compromise I am talking about is the fact that saloon cars are designed in the main to transport passengers from a to b.

The first 4x4's such as the Willys Jeep of WW2 and MASH fame were designed to do this as well as tow equipment behind. This requirement neccesitated the four wheel drive as the military required competence in all situations.

The first Land Rovers were copies of the Willys Jeep and were demonstrated to Farmers as being able to tow trailers with livestock/supplies to market as well as pull a small plough!

Such a competant dual role was important in the years after WW2.

Modern 4x4's have drive to both wheels (an obvious point I grant you Kanga but in your case the obvious is not always as clear as it is too others), usually a two wheel drive option for road use - but not always so, a low range gearbox and some kind of lock for the centre dif.

None of the above are available on saloon cars tho' All Wheel Drive is getting ever more popular as the safety and greater towing ability over normal 2 wheel drive cars is demonstrated. Excellent cars like the All wheel drive Subaru's are truly excellent tow trucks but can come unstuck in the more difficult off road conditions.

Finally, towing with aa ordinary saloon car puts far more strain on it often requiring suspension upgrades. Most people would not wish to buy a saloon that has a tow hitch attached as it indicates more strain applied to the vehicle than one that has never towed anything.

My view -Why bother? Get a far more practical, stronger better designed for purpose 4x4. Land Rovers in general are designed to be able to perform in extreme conditions whilst towing heavy loads - Whe else do you see them so regularly on the telly - performing well in all parts of the globe.

If they can do that, towing a caravan is not going to phase them one jot.

The fact that I am not alone in preferring a 4x4 to tow (not just a caravan) is confirmed by tghe latest tyre sales figures for the UK. Over the last 5 years 4x4 tyre sales have increased 151%. This reflects the fact that more and more 4x4's are being used. In 2000 825,000 4x4 tyres sold, in 2004 1.25 million.

Quite the opposite of what the "anti's" would have us believe, 4x4's are ever more popular.

Isn't that just GREAT!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ever hopeful that one day you will be able to take part in an adult conversation on this Forum I will answer your question. It would be nice if you could do me and the other contributors the curtesy of a well mannered responce.

The compromise I am talking about is the fact that saloon cars are designed in the main to transport passengers from a to b.

The first 4x4's such as the Willys Jeep of WW2 and MASH fame were designed to do this as well as tow equipment behind. This requirement neccesitated the four wheel drive as the military required competence in all situations.

The first Land Rovers were copies of the Willys Jeep and were demonstrated to Farmers as being able to tow trailers with livestock/supplies to market as well as pull a small plough!

Modern 4x4's have drive to both wheels (an obvious point I grant you Kanga but in your case the obvious is not always as clear as it is too others), usually a two wheel drive option for road use - but not always so, a low range gearbox and some kind of lock for the centre dif.

None of the above are available on saloon cars tho' All Wheel Drive is getting ever more popular as the safety and greater towing ability over normal 2 wheel drive cars is demonstrated. Excellent cars like the All wheel drive Subaru's are truly excellent tow trucks but can come unstuck in the more difficult off road conditions.

Finally, towing with aa ordinary saloon car puts far more strain on it often requiring suspension upgrades. Most people would not wish to buy a saloon that has a tow hitch attached as it indicates more strain applied to the vehicle than one that has never towed anything.

My view -Why bother? Get a far more practical, stronger better designed for purpose 4x4. Land Rovers in general are designed to be able to perform in extreme conditions whilst towing heavy loads - Whe else do you see them so regularly on the telly - performing well in all parts of the globe.

The fact that I am not alone in preferring a 4x4 to tow (not just a caravan) is confirmed by tghe latest tyre sales figures for the UK. Over the last 5 years 4x4 tyre sales have increased 151%. This reflects the fact that more and more 4x4's are being used. In 2000 825,000 4x4 tyres sold, in 2004 1.25 million.

Quite the opposite of what the "anti's" would have us believe, 4x4's are ever more popular.

Isn't that just GREAT!!!
Man, you must be fast on the keyboard! You do realise that after typing all that you'll be lucky to get a sentance out of Kanga, don't you?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Isn't that just GREAT!!!
Oh! yes - Fast is good in this office - though spelling is always the first casualty.

Appreciate your comments guys.

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
That Kanga. It would seem that some either love him, hate him or just plain ignore him. As for highjacking a thread I can understand most ignoring him and even a minority tolerating him but some of the long-winded responses from those who appear to hate him are only adding fuel to the fire and not helping the situation at all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't hate him Derek - but I do treat him as a misguided fool who is quite capable of bending the truth to suit his own twisted version of reality.

If you go onto other Forums there are some Trolls on those as well. ignoring them does not work and niether does replying either.

However, logical auguments with accurate data really makes them upset and angry with the result that they throw a tantrum and spit their dummy out.

As seen by the "What a load of b****cks" and "Crushed one" responces. An excellent example of this type of training can be seen on "Super Nanny" on the telly. Dealing with noisy disruptive children is very similar to dealing with disruptive and rude contributors here.

Such silly responces allow all the users of a forum to see exactly what type of people are posting comments and make their own mind up as to the value.

If you ignore them they think they have won by bullying their "opposition" into silence.

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Clive, my point is that if you do ignore 'them' then 'they' have nothing to respond to! All that has to be done by an individual thereafter is to ignore anything that is posted by 'them' (if that individual wishes to do so). The more responses 'they' get the more 'they' will go on provoking. I have found that there are more members than you keep referring to that post what you may class as unsatisfactory comments ( and maybe some are) but it seems like a witch hunt at times and some of 'their' comments are no worse than some others.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for not ignoring me (I assume I am one of the trolls referred to). I have just been watching to see what transpires even when Im not using the forum. Your quite right derek in what I think your trying to say. Its clive in the main that keeps the banter going in his own unique way. I think he loves it when kanga posts thats why its impossible for him to ignore it.

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
er Clive actually this point is a bit stooopid!

"All wheel drive Subaru's are truly excellent tow trucks but can come unstuck in the more difficult off road conditions."

Like when do you tow a caravan in "difficult off road conditions"? i didn't think the distance between the tarmac and a grass pitch was classed as "difficult off road conditions"

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Er Clive actually this point is a bit stooooopid too!

"Land Rovers in general are designed to be able to perform in extreme conditions whilst towing heavy loads - Whe else do you see them so regularly on the telly - performing well in all parts of the globe."

Actually I don't tow in the kalahari, just over a little grassy bit to get on the pitch

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Er actually Clive this point is a stoooooopid too!

"All Wheel Drive is getting ever more popular as the safety and greater towing ability over normal 2 wheel drive cars is demonstrated"

All 4x4's sold in the USA have, by law, a sticker on the dash which warns the user that the car can tip if turned too quickly, like a avoiding an accident ............. yeah dead safe, literally!

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Er Clive actually this a rather stooooopid point to make

"The fact that I am not alone in preferring a 4x4 to tow (not just a caravan) is confirmed by tghe latest tyre sales figures for the UK. Over the last 5 years 4x4 tyre sales have increased 151%. This reflects the fact that more and more 4x4's are being used. In 2000 825,000 4x4 tyres sold, in 2004 1.25 million."

You know what they say .............. " there's one born every minute"!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually Kanga both 2 and 4wd versions of both the Willys Jeep and LR's were produced.

The German Army had a whole fleet of two wheel drive LR's used as border patrol vehicles.

You can tell a 4WD from a 2WD by looking at the axles front and rear. If a prop-shaft goes to both its a pretty good bet that its 4WD Kanga!

Hope you find this helpful!

Can I take my anorak of now?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kanga - Still not able to understand the Queens English I see

Point 1 I never mentioned towing a caravan in difficult conditions - I tow all sorts in all weathers in very difficult conditions. If all you do is drive from pitch to tarmac then don't have a 4x4! I do a lot more - so why are you saying that I shouldn't? Believe it or not some o us do far more than others.

Point 2 Again - never said you had to! But I do - regularly using the Jeep Trails in the Picos de Europa, Salisbury Plain and where allowed in the New Forest. I never said you had to have a 4x4 - its you saying that we shouldn't. Mind you I would love to do the Paris Dakar in a Bowler once before I die!!

Point 3 This really is the silly one - In the USA they have stickers on a McDonalds coffee cup to warn the user that it could be hot!!. Just because our litigeous cousins accross the pond like to be stupid does not mean that you have to be as well. And yes because a 4x4 is a diferent type of vehicle it needs to be treated with respect. If you ever took the trouble to learn what they can do you would be impressed.

Point 4 - well I am not sure you actually make one here but do agree - there is one born every minute - those that can see sense rather than spout bull.

I have NEVER criticsed your choice of vehicle. But you seem to think you have the right to have a go at my choice. I need a 4x4 for certian things that I do so I have one that is good on the road as well as off it. The ability and strength of the vehicle means that even at 22 years old it still has a value and performs well - what other 22 year old vehicles can do that?

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
er Clive actually this point is a bit stooopid!

"All wheel drive Subaru's are truly excellent tow trucks but can come unstuck in the more difficult off road conditions."

Like when do you tow a caravan in "difficult off road conditions"? i didn't think the distance between the tarmac and a grass pitch was classed as "difficult off road conditions"
Obviously Kanga, you have never used CLs or CS's which are in a lot of cases no more than a field.

Try getting off when you are at the bottom of a sloping field when it's been raining for a day or two - no chance in a front wheel drive family saloon.

But then I suppose you're a fair weather, municiple site frequenter....the lily livered type in my opinion.

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

You might need a 4x4 if you live in the back of beyond with all the sheep (I bet you keep a fanbelt in your pocket!) but most others don't need a 4x4 gas guzzling monster, they just think they cool in their bmw x5's when really they just look like they really are, complete bunch of tossers, eating into the planets precious resources, flattening dead small children as they run them over because they are invariably driving like Aryton Senna around Monza.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is becoming clearer by the minute! Kanga and Clive are often sparring with each other @ the same time. Kanga me old mate I do beleive that you are at last telling the truth about your alter-ego. This is a brilliant scam....Kanga is Clive...Clive is Kanga.....am I right?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You see that is how you loose it Kanga - we were starting to have a sensible debate then because I make some valid points that cannot be denied - you have to go and get abusive because you somehow feel you have "lost".

Not that many sheep in the New Forest - a few but far more horses. I keep a fanbelt in the car for its proper purpose. And yes my car does run on Gas - LPG which makes it far more environmentaly friendly than your 3.0 D 530. BY A LONG MARGIN I MIGHT ADD!!!

I also think the X5 is a "cool" motor - no good in the rough tho' and most BMW's on the south coast seem to be owned by pimps and drugdealers - not what I want to be associated with in any way.

We all eat the planet. The trick is to put back more than you take. But of course your BMW runs on nothing!

Flattening dead small children is a bit OTT even for you. Your comprehension skills still need work don't you think?

As for driving a 4x4 like Arton Senna arrond Monza or anywhere!! - I wish! - what a super idea.

As I intimated before, it is a shame that the Vikings liked sheep (I wonder what they used instead of your fanbelt suggestion) if they had restrained themselves we would not have to put up with the likes of your woolyminded nonsence.

Now off you go and have a bit a "stew", stamp you foot and come back with something even more bizarre and outrageous.

Personally I can't wait.

Debating ( if you can call it that ) with you is the best entertainment arround.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts