Hyundai Trajet good tow car or not ?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi this is my 1st time on here , I have a Hyundai trajet 2LTR auto gsi on a 55 plate.

Iam really thinking of buying a aravan 4 berth ( my car can tow a max of 1600kg ) I have been told to buy 2nd hand first time round and if we like it buy a better one in a few years so as you can tell iam very new to this , can you please advise me if my car is any good for towing (my car is on the motability scheme as iam disabled ) and my wife and kids will be doing all the lifting and pulling :) .

Thanks for all your help

Andrew

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

Providing you don`t go over the top and get your figures correct I.E. your van weighs no more than 85% of cars kerb weight,or the max tow of 1600 which ever is least,your car should be OK, after all its a big peice of kit.

I would advise you have a motor mover fitted to whatever you buy as it will be difficult for family to move the van on the pitch,(unless your an expert at reversing caravans/trailers).

Good luck mate I hope everything works out for you and you have some great trips in the van.

Tony A.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

As an MPV the trajet is likely to make a very good towcar from a stability point of view but the 2.0 petrol engine is already pulling a large car along and I expect your kerbweight to be around 1700 - 1900kg so towing even at 85% will be a struggle for your engine, I would try to err on the side of trying to get the lightest caravan that is adequate for your needs rather than getting the heaviest that you can legally pull

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

As an MPV the trajet is likely to make a very good towcar from a stability point of view but the 2.0 petrol engine is already pulling a large car along and I expect your kerbweight to be around 1700 - 1900kg so towing even at 85% will be a struggle for your engine, I would try to err on the side of trying to get the lightest caravan that is adequate for your needs rather than getting the heaviest that you can legally pull
Hi

I went to glossop caravans and had a chat with one of the sales team , he said i can tow a max of 1600kg but have to take off 500kg for gear so that left a max caravan weight of around 1100kg, he advised getting a second hand caravan upto 900 to 1000 kg as my car has a 139bhp plus its a petrol pulling a lot of weight, he also recommended his site for putting ur car details in plus caravan you want and it will tell you if car can pull it.http://www.whattowcar.com/

Jul 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

Hi,

I owned a Trajet diesel a few years ago. It made an unexpectedly good tow car - despite the high vehicle weight (about 1900 kilos IIRC) and the fairly modest power of the engine (about 122 bhp)

It's weight made towing a very stable affair - lorries and winds just didn't bother a 1500 kg caravan, and the fuel consumption was reasonable.

However, that was the derv version - I very much doubt if the much lower torque of the petrol variant would be anything like as good.

As pointed out, the Trajet engines already have their work cut out moving the high vehicle weight - and it was only the torque of the diesel that made towing viable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts