I know it's a stupid question but........

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
How do you level up a twin axle caravans using levelling ramps? Are they long enough for both sets of wheels to sit on or do you have to use one behind each wheel? We're about to set off for our 1st outing in this van and it's only just struck me, what if the pitch isn't level? surely you don't just level one wheel as that would put to much strain on that axle wouldn't it? as it's so close to Easter I think for this outing I'm going to have to sort out some pieces of wood

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
That's good question Mike, l would like to know the answer to that one as we will be buying a twin axle next year, in the mean time l will keep my eyes open on site to see how others do it.

May be Dusty Dog could answer this for us as l no he has a twin axle

NigelH

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See page 31 Technical. BUT thwe most important bits have been removed!!

I carry four 1" thick planks.

However Steve in Leo uses the two plastic levellersin a very clever way.

Rather than misquote him , Steve can you say again please.

Or can Mr Mods find the missing bits from page 31 Technical??

Cheers

Dustdyog

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mike now this is a regular one and the answer was provided by Steve in Leo.

This is the old way and is fairly easy,first of all measure the distance between the centre of your first axle and second axle, make a note of this for later.

Now you need two of the large yellow Fiamma levelling blocks ,place them on the ground back to back this is where you need the measurement you took , space the levelling blocks out at the distance between axles, now place them where your van wheels are going to be when you park up, reverse gently up the first block and as reach the top the second axle ill be going down now swmbo will have to check your level as you can now move forwards or backwards to level.

I must also say thanks to Steve in Leo as he put me onto this way and Ive nver had problems .

I hope this helps you

Sir Roger

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been furtling around in the cellars at Haymarket Towers and found a post from Steve in Leo on this subject from 9th March 2008.

Steve wrote:

'I have used the two spaced ramp method for the last ten years. Having measured the distance center to center of the axle spacing on our twin axle van, I now set the ramps out at 41 inches apart from peak to peak. This gives excellent levelling results in the dry. To aid our winter caravanning, I have screwed the ramps to 65 inch length of builders plank. This holds the ramps firm and stops any sinking and damage on grass pitches. I also have a plain plank the same length (65 inches) to go under the other side to stop the wheels sinking. For storage on the van, I have fitted a steel "u" shaped loop just behind the back axle, to both chasis rails. I slide the ramps accross the van through the loops and secure the ends with a "G" clamp at each end to stop them sliding out. A little bit of forward thinking saves a lot of struggling in thewet and windy winter. Hope you have lots of fun. Steve L.'

Personally I line the caravan up with where it is to be pitched, align the levelling ramps with the wheels that need to be raised at the side, reverse back, move the ramps across to line up with the axle track and drive slowly forwards. The front caravan wheel rides over the rearmost ramp and begins to climb the second by which time the rear caravan wheel is climbing the rear ramp.

When the caravan is level I apply the car and caravan handbrakes, place the anti rollback chocks behind the raised caravan wheels and unhitch/ lower the corner steadies.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys, I've taken notes and will look into it, however sadly it looks like I may have more time on my hands to sort something out as we recieved THE dreaded phone call yesterday, so sorry but your long awaited 1st holiday in your new van is cancelled due to the touring field being 2" under water!!!

:eek:(

Thanks anyway

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts