Idiots guide to towing capacity please!

Sep 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi, newbie caravanner here who is completely confused by towing capacity! So we're looking at changing our car and have recently purchased a Coachman Vision 450/2 which has a MTPLM of 1350kg

Potentially looking at either a VW Tiguan or a Tiguan Allspace, could anyone help explain in easy to understand way how we work out the towing capacity when looking at potential car? I'm quite switched on with calculating things usually but the number of different things that come into play are making me doubt myself that I'm working it out correctly!

We've got a heavy awning that we need to carry plus other bits and pieces and will be doing some lengthy trips so I'd prefer to get a car on the higher capacity side to make sure we've allowed enough leeway

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This link should help clarify how you determine the cars Towing limit. Also the V5 will give maximum braked towing load, plus the cars owners manual too. Your van is a relatively modest weight MTPLM so the Tiguan should be fine but best to check as you will see in the link one model of Audi used as an example has zero towing limit. Engine petrol or diesel gearbox DSG or manual and drive train 4WD or 2wd can present differing limits. There may even be different figures that you obtain for your chosen car(s) but the legal figure is the cars vin plate.

Reactions: Spinador
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, be ready for your question to divert a bit, but persevere.
A couple of questions if I my,
Why do you need to carry a heavy Awning, ,? Sleeping area for children, area for dogs etc.
When you say lengthy trips, what mileage, some of us do you anticipate ,,?
I would do a 4 week trip to France and only do 1000 miles, but the next trip 600 miles. Next trip 3000 miles.

Sep 2, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, be ready for your question to divert a bit, but persevere.
A couple of questions if I my,
Why do you need to carry a heavy Awning, ,? Sleeping area for children, area for dogs etc.
When you say lengthy trips, what mileage, some of us do you anticipate ,,?
I would do a 4 week trip to France and only do 1000 miles, but the next trip 600 miles. Next trip 3000 miles.
Thank you!

So the awning is for dogs and extra space for us.
We live in Yorkshire and will be travelling as far as Scotland, Cornwall and possibly over to Ireland but not sure on that one yet

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you!

So the awning is for dogs and extra space for us.
We live in Yorkshire and will be travelling as far as Scotland, Cornwall and possibly over to Ireland but not sure on that one yet
We used full size awnings, then it dawned on us that you lose a shedload of money every time you change van. So we then bought a pre owned Isabella Magnum a large porch of top quality. We never had any issues with space and could even have bought an annex had we needed more sleeping space for family etc. Just a thought based on our experience.

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts