Illegal pricing

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Someone in Daventry has just stayed at a site ( his first ever trip ) on a site at Bingham that quotes site fee plus extra for EHU I am of the opinion that this was made illegal is this correct

G

That "someone" Ploter is referring to is me. And for your information, it's my 2nd ever trip. My first ever "towing a caravan by myself" yes, but you seem to have forgotten that I was towed to a local site by a friend of mine, also a C&CC site which had the same pricing policy.

To explain, I posted the details of my first ever self-towed trip out to a C&CC site at Bingham which can be seen here - http://www.carryoncamping.org/viewtopic.php?t=900 - a great site it was too. Plotter immediately stated that he refused to visit such sites who held such a policy of charging EHU additional prices.

Now, I know that it's illegal to "sell on electricity", but sites have to make their money somewhere somehow and the way I see it, quoting a price for an EHU site is one way to go. OK, they could have quoted

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
I've always thought that the reason the campsite gave two prices (EHU or Non EHU), was so that if someone used a tent on the pitch, then they would not be charged for the electricity if they did not have EHU.

I might have miss read the original point, so please accept my apologies in advance,

best regards, Martin

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Some sites and the Caravan and Camping Club registered as resellers of electricity hence the separate charge. Some clubs like the Caravan Club did not do this and so include the electricity in the price of a pitch.

G

Since posting to this thread, I did some further research (Googling) and I found.....

Since January 2003 anyone reselling electricity or gas must do so at the price paid by them to their supplier. This can be done in various ways including pay by meter or a fixed charge based on various factors. The point being that there can be no profit on the resale. In respect of the CC and CC&C they have decided to do it in different ways i.e. add in the cost to the per night fee and a per night electricity charge. http://www.energycontrols.org/downloads/MRP%20-%2015th%20Jan%202003.pdf

There's nothing to stop them selling exactly the same pitch as 'serviced' and 'unserviced' at two different prices. The difference that you're paying is for the privilege of plugging in your hook-up lead. You aren't technically being charged for electricity at all.

The real purpose of this law is to stop unscrupulous landlords (static caravan/mobile home site owners being favourite) from buying in metered electricity and selling it onto the residents at a profit.

So as I said earlier, the meagre

TRENDING THREADS