imported cars

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Be very wary of car supermarkets selling imported cars. One in South Staffordshire was importing Opels and re-badging them as Vauxhall - they were prosecuted by Trading Standards.

Many right hand drive imports come from Cyprus and Malta, they're often not UK specification and don't have the same rust-proofing. The salesman will of course tell you they're UK spec - you know how to tell a salesman is lying - when he moves his mouth!

I've investigated, but not proceeded with, personal imports of a UK spec new car.

With just one or two exceptions, the widespread availability of discounted or "internet priced" cars within the UK has reduced the savings to a point where it's not worthwhile.

I recently investigated importing an Opel Vectra. The end saving was about

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Not a supermarket, but we have bought 3 new Hondas from Bob Gerard Ltd of Great Glen with no problems.

Now that Cyprus is EU, there is a 60,000 3yr warranty (Honda UK cars get 90,000 miles).

When we traded in the 2002 CR-V, the local Honda dealer knocked

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I bought the shogun/pajero in japan and had it shipped over I had no probs what so ever, about the rust thing there all built in the same factory on the same production line.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My daughter bought a new Style RHD BMW Mini that had been built here and shipped to Germany for sale and then back to here probably without leaving the transporter.

When she sold it at 15 months old it seems that it is an "IMPORT" as something in the VIN (I guess) tells that it was export build. All though the standard spec for its type was better than the UK version she was ofered a lot less for the car than normal trade in as she was told the insurance would be effected al though she'd had no problem herself with the insurance costs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig, the rust thing is related to undersealing, because imports dont have any. I know, because my mate bought a new Mitsi pick-up and he had to get it undersealed. I dont know about the Paj, so cant comment.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be far too costly for the car manufacturers to provide different levels of rust protection for different markets. To suit bulk production volumes, equipment on the production line to apply paint and corrosion protection can only handle one process which must be common for all markets. Only if a model is built in more than one plant, could there conceivably be a difference.

In the case of equipment which is installed in the vehicle on the assembly line there can be differences but these are usually to cater for specific legal requirements or customer preferences in the respective markets.

Sometimes, but very rarely because of the high cost involved, equipment is added by the importer at the port of entry. This would only be for something which is considered vital for a particular market but which the manufacturing plant is unable to provide. For relatively low volumes, it may be uneconomic to do so in the plant itself.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I bought an FTO 6 years ago from japan I had no probs with rust what's so ever and I only go rid of it 6 months ago, and they didn't even sell them out of japan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts