Installing Tv on dry wall

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the advantage of a spreader is often more than just distributing loads. Having a plywood board makes it just so very easy to position and attach stuff accurately. Hold metal thing in one hand, punch in a self tapper with other, no drilling, repeat...

Steve
Why a self tapper and not a decent woodscrew?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I thought so too aJohn until I saw his photo.

I was thinking the YouTube vid showed his type of bracket. But if the #38 pic is actually his. Then fixing that swivel bracket with a 40inch screen just to plasterboard is not a good idea with the leverages involved. But Buckman was never specific in the bracket type.

John

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
They get a smashing grip in thinner engineered timbers. Look at the screws used in Ikea furniture.
for example.

John
Very little wood in Ikea Furniture... there are many different screws used for wood such as "twinfast" designed specifically for those purposes. The thread is twice as coarse as a standard self-tapper, so that the force applied can't "self-rip" the screw out on tightening

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very little wood in Ikea Furniture... there are many different screws used for wood such as "twinfast" designed specifically for those purposes. The thread is twice as coarse as a standard self-tapper, so that the force applied can't "self-rip" the screw out on tightening

I now tend to use the more “ technical” screws which I get from Screwfix. For some recent jobs indoors and outside I have used the Turbo TX which drive in or remove extremely well compared to the more popular Phillips. In fact the Turbo TX is good for woods, plastic, masonary or thin sheet metals. The only thing missing on the TX is that the head isn’t self countersinking.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

My words were ‘engineered wood’. Quite different than simply wood.

Quote.

Engineered wood, also called mass timber, composite wood, man-made wood, or manufactured board, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding or fixing the strands, particles, fibres, or veneers or boards of wood, together with adhesives, or other methods of fixation[1] to form composite material.

Sounds exactly like Ikea to me.

In the absence of a team to design a specific screw for a specific material. SteveW's suggestion of a self-tapper is good.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My words were ‘engineered wood’. Quite different than simply wood.

Quote.

Engineered wood, also called mass timber, composite wood, man-made wood, or manufactured board, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding or fixing the strands, particles, fibres, or veneers or boards of wood, together with adhesives, or other methods of fixation[1] to form composite material.

Sounds exactly like Ikea to me.

In the absence of a team to design a specific screw for a specific material. SteveW's suggestion of a self-tapper is good.

John
What IKEA screws are you specifically referring too. Most of the flat pack furniture these days used cam lock for a lot of the construction. There are small specific thread screws for fastening the draw rails, or hinges to the body. But IKEA fastenings are pretty well the same as other flat pack suppliers, albeit with good quality and customer service and instructions that are understandable. Plus there's meatballs too in store 😂😂😂

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What IKEA screws are you specifically referring too. Most of the flat pack furniture these days used cam lock for a lot of the construction. There are small specific thread screws for fastening the draw rails, or hinges to the body. But IKEA fastenings are pretty well the same as other flat pack suppliers, albeit with good quality and customer service and instructions that are understandable. Plus there's meatballs too in store 😂😂😂

I just used Ikea as an example of a company that manufactures furniture using engineered wood, (though not so much plywood). And you are correct re the camlocks. but if you look at the hinge screws you mention, they resemble self-tappers far closer than a wood screw. As Steve suggested. They work better than wood screws in some circumstances. eg, fixing directly to 8mm ply. Just try it. Drill an undersized hole and see how well a self-tapper holds. Works in soft and hardwood too. Less splitting.

No doubt Ikea spent a few bob developing the ideal screw for each job. But others need to make do with off the shelf availability. I inherited a myriad of screws from my dad on his death about 45 years ago. I still dig into it today.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just used Ikea as an example of a company that manufactures furniture using engineered wood, (though not so much plywood). And you are correct re the camlocks. but if you look at the hinge screws you mention, they resemble self-tappers far closer than a wood screw. As Steve suggested. They work better than wood screws in some circumstances. eg, fixing directly to 8mm ply. Just try it. Drill an undersized hole and see how well a self-tapper holds. Works in soft and hardwood too. Less splitting.

No doubt Ikea spent a few bob developing the ideal screw for each job. But others need to make do with off the shelf availability. I inherited a myriad of screws from my dad on his death about 45 years ago. I still dig into it today.

John
Thanks, like you I have old tools from my Dad, and I have a large Tupperware box (circa 1980) where I bought a large job lot of various screws and ironmongery fittings, and since then it has been topped up with screws and there are bits that I have removed during jobs, and others that I have bought and did not use them all.. But nowadays I tend to just dip into my Screwfix selection and think "Must give the old screws, brackets, hinges etc away on Freecycle or take to the skips. But I have a strong emotional attachment to it, and there is always the likelihood its contents will get me out of a hole when everywhere is shut.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts