Insurance after Theft

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi, after 14 years incident free caravanning, we have unfortunately lost our dream van, an 8ft wide twin axle fixed bed etc.

Hopefully all will be well with the insurance paying out. We can get a new van on the new for old insurance, but only if we can get a quick settlement.
However when I have tried to get insurance, non of the comparison sites will even quote because I have a £25k theft claim.

Just wondering if anybody else can share their experience of insurance after theft.

No point getting a new van if we cant insure it

Thanks
If the insurance is in your name, you could try insuring the next van in your wife's name.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Won’t your original insurer provide cover? Failing that try either of the clubs as I’ve read if total loss payouts where the owner has been covered for the new caravan. Not all insurance companies use comparison websites and since those sites are driven by algorithms they aren’t necessarily the best for “” les than standard” conditions. Alternatively contact companies who advertise in the caravan magazines or a broker.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to know that the claim is settled but sorry you had problems, I am afraid that as the premium is a simple percentage of the sum insured the sum insured is the limit any company will pay out, not just whoever you were insured with. The only way round this is to add something for inflation when you insure or add this part way through the year if this is allowed. I found the C&CC would not do that and have changed companies this year.

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
I have a question, its not been mentioned in this thread but you know when you have multiple vehicles in a family and if you are named on all policies the insurance on all the vehicles goes up if you make a claim - does a claim on your caravan insurance affect your vehicle insurance(s) as well because all insurers share details and the address would be flagged by the claim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a question, its not been mentioned in this thread but you know when you have multiple vehicles in a family and if you are named on all policies the insurance on all the vehicles goes up if you make a claim - does a claim on your caravan insurance affect your vehicle insurance(s) as well because all insurers share details and the address would be flagged by the claim
I think that's a question you should ask your insurer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Since 1994 Insurers subscribe to CUE. Claims Underwriting Exchange. It does flag up data as you describe as a tool to combat fraud.

At each renewal you have a duty to declare any material fact that may affect the Insurers rating of your risk. If you are not sure what to declare ask them. Only they can decide the premium rate

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that's a question you should ask your insurer.
When the caravan is attached to the car it’s included under the car policy for third party risks only. So if you should have an accident when towing your car insurer will address any third party claims, but the caravan insurer would address damage to the caravan. If the car isn’t involved in an incident such as the caravan being damaged by a gate post when entering the site then it’s only the caravan insurer that you deal with.

We have changed to a multi car policy earlier this year as it was cheaper, and I asked about the effect of a car accident on no claims. It would only affect the drivers no claim discount, not others named on the policy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem with Ripe may be the claims service. The reviews on the web suggest that the assessors used are very poor and get very low scores. I would check the claims service reviews out before using them, but again this might be worthwhile with the other companies as well.
A refusal to insure is not necessarily a red flag. It could be the proposer has asked the insurance company to cover something that's outside the scope of their policies. Nothing implied or wrong with that.

The problem is if a policy that has been issued has subsequently been cancelled or voided, these are the red flags which indicate that insurance was either obtained under false pretences or the insured has acted illegally when trying to make a claim.

The fact the caravan has been stolen will have to be declared, so the insurer will have the information they need to assess the cost.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the problem with Ripe may be the claims service. The reviews on the web suggest that the assessors used are very poor and get very low scores. I would check the claims service reviews out before using them, but again this might be worthwhile with the other companies as well.

The fact the caravan has been stolen will have to be declared, so the insurer will have the information they need to assess the cost.
I'm wondering if you meant to quote my post from 13months ago? Is it relevant to the more recent content?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a couple more on forums to back up what you say, but have not located them again. I also looked them up myself and the position was as you stated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts