Is it just me? Slight snaking on Motorways lane 1

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I believe those motorways have all had major work done fairly recently and cope with modern artics without creating the tramlines.

I can't think of a reaaon why twin axle caravans are less susceptible than single axles.
That‘s a lot of motorway.
Without question of doubt I have found the TAs far more stable than SAs over the last 15 years allowing for all the sensible loadings. I’m not saying my SAs were unstable , just a totally different “ it’s not on the back feeling” with the TA.

Reactions: GaryB

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The closest I've come to a dangerous snake was on the M5 southbound, but tramline ruts weren't involved.
I was between Gloucester and Michael Wood on a quiet bit of the carriageway with my t/a and was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry.
In the distance through my mirrors I saw a large SUV type barrelling toward us in the outside lane at Warp Factor 9.
I was doing between 55 and 60 mph during the overtake when the large SUV, which looked like a Rolls Royce or a Bently shot past.
I'd estimate his speed at well over 100mph.
The caravan began to sway dangerously, I took my feet off everything to let my speed bleed off and after a heart stopping 20 seconds or so everything settled down except for my heart rate.
God bless the lorry driver, he dropped back to give me some room as the SUV disappeared rapidly, I hope that the inconsiderate wazzock is nicked for speeding sooner or later.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The closest I've come to a dangerous snake was on the M5 southbound, but tramline ruts weren't involved.
I was between Gloucester and Michael Wood on a quiet bit of the carriageway with my t/a and was in the middle lane overtaking a lorry.
In the distance through my mirrors I saw a large SUV type barrelling toward us in the outside lane at Warp Factor 9.
I was doing between 55 and 60 mph during the overtake when the large SUV, which looked like a Rolls Royce or a Bently shot past.
I'd estimate his speed at well over 100mph.
The caravan began to sway dangerously, I took my feet off everything to let my speed bleed off and after a heart stopping 20 seconds or so everything settled down except for my heart rate.
God bless the lorry driver, he dropped back to give me some room as the SUV disappeared rapidly, I hope that the inconsiderate wazzock is nicked for speeding sooner or later.
Hope your trousers were OK🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We traveled round the M25 last weekend dropping daughter off at Brighton university and the ruts in some stretches were awful.

Reactions: Hutch

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for everyones input, I think what I find strange is I never noticed this on my old caravans when the tramlines were more apparent a few years ago , I towed my old caravan a swift challenger, and a coachman oasis both 490 s tired old suspension caravan probably overloaded with many different vehicles some underpowered and never had an issue with caravan movement and now my current caravan, carefully evenly loaded but just two people 90 ish kg nose weight, Nissan xtrail supposedly a good tow car the roads a bit better and I’m suffering from this light snaking but only in lane 1 a bit annoying really. It’s early days aswell I’ve only used this caravan 3 or 4 times may be I’ll try loading it a bit more see if that helps ?
thanks all .

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
On M5 between jn12 and 13 the tramlines were very bad at one point. We had overtaken a HGV and were pulling back in when it caught the caravan. It took us across 3 lanes. Luckily we were towing a 1400kg caravan with a Volvo S80 so weight ratio was more than adequate.

My advanced driver training kicked in and initially I lifted my foot off the pedal to slow down and then accelerated slightly and this pulled the caravan straight. This all took place in probably less than 3 seconds and I acted instinctively.

Very scary and change of underpants.
Been there

TRENDING THREADS