is this worth it . . . seriously?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
U.K. or German most of the fittings are common to both!
Does anyone have any data on how long the heating or water heating system will last in hours?I doubt the kit in Tourers was ever designed for 24/7 365 use? I may be wrong🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My last Bailey suffered the cracked front and rear panels in years 2 and 3 but it’s other kit was fine. We kept it until it was 9 years old and just before selling the front nearside window seal spring a leak. Cost about £250 to have it renewed.

Present van 2013. All internals have been fine except replacement pump required. Cracked rear panel replaced under warranty and axle failure probably due to dire potholed roads in Shropshire. Seats still firm though which is more than its owner can claim.

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB and PTA
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
U.K. or German most of the fittings are common to both!
Does anyone have any data on how long the heating or water heating system will last in hours?I doubt the kit in Tourers was ever designed for 24/7 365 use? I may be wrong🤔🤔🤔
That is very difficult to be precise about, Obviously they are all usually designed to last at least the warranty period, but some components may wear out when they are used, but others may have poorer durability when they are not used for example a steel burner bar in an appliance may run for years if used regularly, but allow it to stand and damp can cause it to rust. and that is a very significant issue with caravans where they are used infrequently.

There is also the probability of insects liking the enclosed spaces, and its amazing how much a spiders web in the wrong place can disturb the performance of a burner.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think she would probably get more for the 'van than a broken down old f.rt like me .TBH.
Although, as yet, I don't suffer from damp.

Great answer.

——————

I think that many caravans suffer and age prematurely by general miss-use by adults and children who have little respect for the fragility of lightweight structures and fittings.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My present van is 12 years old we just had a new control panel & caravan battery, and upholstery of seat cushions but it in great condition came with service history . and no damp .

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know someone who lives full time in tourers but change them every two years after that they say things start to fail.
We had our caravan for about 2 years before moving into it for 2 1/2 years and then we kept it for another 4 years before selling. No issues with things failing. BTW the new CRA 2015 does not stipulate that you cannot use an item 365 days a year. :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do have to remember those who are unhappy complain, those who are happy usually say nothing so the problems are nowhere near what seems to be the case in real life. That is not to say many people do not have problems so if you are new the best answer is buy from a reputable dealer who will try to avoid selling anything faulty and should deal with any problems.
But local if you can as this makes getting work done far easier and dealers tend to look after locals better as they are the ones that come back again for replacements, accessories and servicing if happy.
For customer satisfaction Adria and Coachman have the best record in surveys although the German makes do not get in due to insufficient numbers. The problem with all continental makes is that their dealer network is spread very thin if they have one and getting to one can be more difficult for many.
There is a very limited number of suppliers of the working parts so these end to be all the same so the reliability of these is not dependent on the make of caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BTW the new CRA 2015 does not stipulate that you cannot use an item 365 days a year. :D

The CRA is not product specific, so of course it does not suggest there is a usage limit. But if the specifications of a product or contract do include or exclude a particular usage pattern, the CRA will support it.

For example sleeping bags are often sold as Spring & Summer, Spring Summer& Autumn, Or Four seasons bags. Using a 2 season bag in winter and then complaining it had insufficient insulation in winter would not be supported by the CRA because the customer had not checked the product was fit for purpose by reviewing the products specification. That is a customer failure not a product failure.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The CRA is not product specific, so of course it does not suggest there is a usage limit. But if the specifications of a product or contract do include or exclude a particular usage pattern, the CRA will support it.

For example sleeping bags are often sold as Spring & Summer, Spring Summer& Autumn, Or Four seasons bags. Using a 2 season bag in winter and then complaining it had insufficient insulation in winter would not be supported by the CRA because the customer had not checked the product was fit for purpose by reviewing the products specification. That is a customer failure not a product failure.
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek and you are correct however on many products the marketing spiel never mentions important points like it should not be used 365 days a year. You only find this out when you read the owner's manual after purchase. We never had any issue with warranty work despite living in ours for 2 1/2 years and that was under the old Sale of Goods Act.
TBH I don't think any caravan manufactuer would want to end up in court stating that their product cannot be used continously 365 days a year. Many people live in their UK caravans in Spain for several months or longer a year. The only way to get a caravan manufacturer into court is to call them as an expert witness as there is no contract implied or not between the manufacturer and the consumer as far as I am aware.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Durability is the key for me. My home shower unit is far more substantial than the Wyoming’s.Likewise ,hinges, switches, and all fittings in general are not substantial compared to home. That said mine is 12 years old now and has lasted remarkably well with heavy use. If has required a few running diy repairs which is part of the fun😉😉

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be fair we still don't know what mikethebike's reasons are, and of course its his choice whether he wants to tell us or not.

I think we have all assumed he wants to live in the caravan full time and site it permanently, though he hasn't actually said if that his intention. However it it is this, then hopefully we hill have found the comments giving food for thought if not actually positively useful.

He might be looking to permanently tour, in which case a touring caravan is the obvious choice. Some of the comments are still valid, but the compromises of a cramped and less robust touring caravan may make more sense in that context.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At the very least one should be looking at a twin axle if deciding to live permanently in a touring caravan.
Why?
I can't think of any reason why a TA would be better than a SA caravan. Its not size, becasue some of the largest caravans available are on single axles. They're not made differently, they use exactly the same types and strengths (and weaknesses) of material. What is your reasoning?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why?
I can't think of any reason why a TA would be better than a SA caravan. Its not size, becasue some of the largest caravans available are on single axles. They're not made differently, they use exactly the same types and strengths (and weaknesses) of material. What is your reasoning?
Interesting Prof
I am now left wondering why so many manufacturers make TAs?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why?
I can't think of any reason why a TA would be better than a SA caravan. Its not size, because some of the largest caravans available are on single axles. They're not made differently, they use exactly the same types and strengths (and weaknesses) of material. What is your reasoning?
No need to explain a reason as it is self explanatory. There is no way we would have been able to live in our caravan if it was a single axle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting Prof
I am now left wondering why so many manufacturers make TAs?
History has proven that some of the largest caravans have only had a SA. Some manufacturers choose to produce TA versions, but there is no technical or legal reason why so its probably to suit a buying public's preference, and so they can give the impression its worth more and charge more. They often don't make a big difference to the payload capacity.

Bessecarr used to fit TA to some quite small caravans.

Chateau (French manufacturer) fitted TA to a 14ft caravan!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... There is no way we would have been able to live in our caravan if it was a single axle.
That is just an illogical statement. There is no correlation that I can think of between the number of axles and the ability to live in a caravan. Size of caravan yes, but No of axles no.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I have seen these big static caravans , they are normally built on a single axle to enable to move them about into position.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are three communities in our locale who between them have single axle caravans, as well as TA and mobiles, and they rarely travel far, tending to reside long term on their sites. So I assume that the SA are quite okay to live in long term.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is just an illogical statement. There is no correlation that I can think of between the number of axles and the ability to live in a caravan. Size of caravan yes, but No of axles no.
Humble apologies. I did not realise that you had lived in a single axle caravan for a couple of years and are speaking from experience.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This thread is beginning to drift off topic.
The OP asked if touring caravans were worth considering with a view to full time occupancy, not about the relative merits of single vs twin axle design which would be a separate thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Humble apologies. I did not realise that you had lived in a single axle caravan for a couple of years and are speaking from experience.
But size for size what is it that makes a twin axle better for long term static living than a single axle? I’m puzzled on this one too.

TRENDING THREADS