is this worth it . . . seriously?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But size for size what is it that makes a twin axle better for long term static living than a single axle? I’m puzzled on this one too.
As per Parksy size of caravan is another debate and another thread so if you would like reasons, start another thread. :D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread is beginning to drift off topic.
The OP asked if touring caravans were worth considering with a view to full time occupancy, not about the relative merits of single vs twin axle design which would be a separate thread.
I'm sorry Parksy but I disagree. This is relevant to the OP. The OP has asked about using a "caravan" and without further clarification from the OP I have assumed he is referring to a touring caravan rather than a static. One of the considerations when buying a caravan is whether to go for a SA or TA design.

Buckman has specifically stated " There is no way we would have been able to live in our caravan if it was a single axle. ", That is putting the vast majority of possible caravan choices out of the field, so his reasons for that statement should be made clear.

The OP needs this information to guide his future purchase. Its particularly relevant if there is some real reason why SA's are not suitable for full timing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry Parksy but I disagree. This is relevant to the OP. The OP has asked about using a "caravan" and without further clarification from the OP I have assumed he is referring to a touring caravan rather than a static. One of the considerations when buying a caravan is whether to go for a SA or TA design.

Buckman has specifically stated " There is no way we would have been able to live in our caravan if it was a single axle. ", That is putting the vast majority of possible caravan choices out of the field, so his reasons for that statement should be made clear.

The OP needs this information to guide his future purchase. Its particularly relevant if there is some real reason why SA's are not suitable for full timing.

That was our choice and my opinion based on personal experience. No one is forcing the OP to buy a twin axle.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

hi all
Just spent a few hours looking at reviews for caravans and the conclusion is that there are lots of problems out there.Iive saved up quite a lot of money with the intention of buying a van to live in it full time and all ive discovered is shoddy workmanship dealers who rip you off and problems that will induce heart attacks.

Im 62 and i really dont need all this

someone talked me into looking at living in a caravan over a van conversion but im just not sure any longer due to all the worrying reviews im reading about the state of vans (yes new vans at that) out there
can someone prove me wrong?

are there vans out there from decent dealers that are worth buying?

If you read the OP which I've quoted above you'll see that the query was about shoddy workmanship and the potential for dealers who cheat their customers.
Nowhere was the number of axles mentioned and the OP hasn't returned to the forum to ask about the relative desirability of twin axles or single axles for full time living.
This discussion is once more descending into a tit for that points scoring exercise between two members which will ultimately end with hurt feelings, a locked topic and moderators blamed.
If you want to discuss the optimum number of axles on a touring caravan please start a topic of your own instead of hijacking an existing one

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the answer is size. With the exception of Adria all other makers use twin axles for their largest caravans and for long term living the larger the better. People do manage though in smaller caravans so it is all a matter of choice and possibly budget.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you read the OP which I've quoted above you'll see that the query was about shoddy workmanship and the potential for dealers who cheat their customers.
Nowhere was the number of axles mentioned and the OP hasn't returned to the forum to ask about the relative desirability of twin axles or single axles for full time living.
This discussion is once more descending into a tit for that points scoring exercise between two members which will ultimately end with hurt feelings, a locked topic and moderators blamed.
If you want to discuss the optimum number of axles on a touring caravan please start a topic of your own instead of hijacking an existing one
Thanks Parksy I think that the topic has drifted away but like a lot of choices the SA v TA decision can be subjective.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray beat me to it.
The largest U.K. tourers are all built on TAs. European and Slovenian do same size on SA.
I took the view anyone wanting long term living in a tourer , UK model, will need TA just for size. However I expect someone somewhere is coping in an Eriba.😀😀Or as the actress said to the bishop, size matters🤪🤪🤪

Reactions: Parksy and JezzerB
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
hi all

Just spent a few hours looking at reviews for caravans and the conclusion is that there are lots of problems out there.Iive saved up quite a lot of money with the intention of buying a van to live in it full time and all ive discovered is shoddy workmanship dealers who rip you off and problems that will induce heart attacks.

someone talked me into looking at living in a caravan over a van conversion but im just not sure any longer due to all the worrying reviews im reading about the state of vans (yes new vans at that) out there

Getting back to the gents question rather than the off topic posts.
Yes UK caravans have a very poor quality of build issues,not all the time but a higher than expected a lot of the time. couple that with terrible warrenty service and or dealer back up and yes there is a massive risk to a person buying a right old heap of a brand new caravan. I am fairly sure for every horror story theres hundreds of unheard happy stories.

As for full time living in a touring caravan its easily do able and very cheap and effective way to live. I work away from home and use my caravan on a site for 12 months of the year, average for me is 230 + days a year in the tin box.
As well as work i also use it for breaks and holidays.

So how do I get round the risk and horror stories, its easy i allow a cost to repair and upkeep.
A bricks and mortor house costs a fotune to upkeep. painting decorating, repairs windows, guttering, gardening and a hundred other jobs. and yet we expect to do drive a caravan on some of the worst roads in europe, across fields and through campsites and all that good stuff. you cant twist a house foundation and tow a bungalow at 60 mph up a motorway and yet we complain our caravan leaks or windows dont seal.

I maintain my caravan, i dont wait for things to break first i prevent them when ever possible. i change stuff, repair stuff, improve stuff. I put my hand in my pocket and pay out, probably a lot more than most do. but i do a lot more than most do.

A couple of holidays and ten weekends away a year is rough average for a caravan owner, 14+ 14+(10x2) 48 nights out a year? say 3000miles a year towing, mine is nearer 250 nights and 30,000 miles, five times the use, should i be paying five times the average maintenance costs?

Unless its a blow out or a puncture its extremely rare for caravan tyres to want to be changed. we have all seen tyres decades old, 10 years or 20 years is not uncommon. still full of tread plenty of grip left, old and brittle but still "looking good". i change my tyres every other year because they are worn out, how many caravaner's wear tyres out with miles traveled.

Do your research as best you can,
Just like a boat a cheap caravan is expensive to run and repair, a newer caravan has had less time to break or wear.
If your uncertain, PAY AN EXPERT to survey it first, asking a mate is not the same as asking a mate, in facts mates are just about the worst people ever to ask for advice, a cold hearted expert with insurance to cover you is far safer.
Buy the van you want but expet its not free living and you will need to pay at least some money out every year in maintenance.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Nicely put Galgo, I often think the same, and of course while being dragged around behind the car shaken to wotsit, there is probably a lot of weight in there too. Probably in some cases more than there should be?!!!

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Nicely put Galgo, I often think the same, and of course while being dragged around behind the car shaken to wotsit, there is probably a lot of weight in there too. Probably in some cases more than there should be?!!!
Thats one of my biggest bug bears, with UK caravan makers is their lack of weight capacity, 150kg to 200kg is nothing, my toys weigh more than that and if i eat any more mcdonalds my left leg probably.

My last caravan we had a firm redo the chassis so it could be properly loaded. If you have the tow tug then why not. This one we have not bothered with yet. Looking to change this winter and when we do i will change the chassis set up with a far better version.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats one of my biggest bug bears, with UK caravan makers is their lack of weight capacity, 150kg to 200kg is nothing, my toys weigh more than that and if i eat any more mcdonalds my left leg probably.

My last caravan we had a firm redo the chassis so it could be properly loaded. If you have the tow tug then why not. This one we have not bothered with yet. Looking to change this winter and when we do i will change the chassis set up with a far better version.
Some are now offering more worthwhile upgrades rather than a measly 30 kg but not sure if it can be done retrospectively as the higher load version might be on a different axle.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Some are now offering more worthwhile upgrades rather than a measly 30 kg but not sure if it can be done retrospectively as the higher load version might be on a different axle.

With a bit of effort and research there's several firms that do caravan chassis up grades plus the legal plates to go with it. I believe that caravan manufacturers warranties are utterly worthless and that at best they are a nightmare to deal and claim with. I think its done on purpose too at times. Surely no one is that ignorant!!

So on the last time i had one done the cut the chassis up and left bits in place and installed a new and better version. Went from 1800kg to 2500kg MTPLM with plates

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With a bit of effort and research there's several firms that do caravan chassis up grades plus the legal plates to go with it. I believe that caravan manufacturers warranties are utterly worthless and that at best they are a nightmare to deal and claim with. I think its done on purpose too at times. Surely no one is that ignorant!!

So on the last time i had one done the cut the chassis up and left bits in place and installed a new and better version. Went from 1800kg to 2500kg MTPLM with plates
That’s a massive upgrade . Was that on an Al-ko chassis with upgrades axles. Must have cost a fortune?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I believe that caravan manufacturers warranties are utterly worthless and that at best they are a nightmare to deal and claim with. I think its done on purpose too at times.

You somewhat roll the dice on the Make/Model of caravan you choose, but if you can choose a good dealer your warranty claim issues are mitigated to some extent.

For example, I purchased my caravan at an NEC show so had the choice of virtually any dealer - I would have been a fool to choose one 200 miles away - but the one I chose is a 20-30 minute drive, and has always been amazing. They fixed all the niggles and faulty kit with no issue.

Reactions: Galgo slave
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Us too we bought ours from the lawns, got prices from all the dealers then asked our preferred local dealer to match the best . He was a few pounds off but we paid that bit extra for peace of mind knowing we'd got a pretty Good deal.

Reactions: Galgo slave
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never had a problem getting warranty work done on my Bailey or Sprite. The Bailey was purchased new from local dealership. The Sprite from a remote multi make dealership but then taken to local Swift dealership for servicing. Between the two vans they have had three cracked end panels replaced. All without quibble. Although it would be nice if the panels did not crack.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We didn"t but ours was one owner from new it came from Couplands Caravans Ltd at Louth with full service history and we put a motor mover on to make it easier for me. and we just wanted to see if i could do it again and so far yes ,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Galgo Slaves approach to the caravan he needs for his life style rather supports the view that standard models from manufacturers are less than ideal for full timing. Yes, it can be done, but he obviously found the standard models were less than ideal.

What he hasn't yet told us is how much these major revisions to his caravan costs.

It 's also be the case that the vehicle needed to tow caravans with such large MTPLM's are large 4x4s if not commercial vehicles.

I very much get the feeling this is somewhat beyond what the OP was after.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
hi all

Residential homes as some put it , although its still a caravan and paying lot more they are no less a problem than our ones. They suffer to the owners more as they have to live in them apposed to us who do not live in them a can get on with other things.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Whilst I love our van I wouldn't want to live in it full time, unless it was somewhere sunny so we could spread out outdoors.
I do know a couple of blokes that live in them 24/7 due to personal circumstances and they cope well.
The only way you can find out if it worka for you is to get on with it, as ling as you are fairly handy with a few tools the maintenance would be easy enough and no different to keeping a house in good order.
I have one old friend who lives in the USofA in a self built Tiny House and he does well.

Kev

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought a 10 years old Elddis crusader super sirocco twin axle caravan for a seasonal site and when we sold our house we move into the van and some stuff went to storage .
We were there 24/7 for about 20 weeks until we got the right bungalow that suited our needs .
You could buy similar and then you would see if you like it, if it not your cup of tea you could just sell it

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin M
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And Beachball I know two companies who will buy your TA for excellent prices and then they ship them to New Zealand where they sell on a forecourt for almost 3x what you got. Well worth a punt. In fact we have been encouraged to ship ours out , use it for six months and sell it. Basically a free holiday!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty the only thing is we sold it in 2017 we had the seasonal site for four years and i had enough going to the same place and when we got the new car in 2018 brought the present van last year ..
Are you thinking off doing it with your caravan ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dusty the only thing is we sold it in 2017 we had the seasonal site for four years and i had enough going to the same place and when we got the new car in 2018 brought the present van last year ..
Are you thinking off doing it with your caravan ?
The temptation is there, yes. We had the Wyoming from new. £16800. My two local dealers have offered me £9- 10 k. I know I can get the same from the Guys over here except they will allow me six months NZ touring. Ok, so I buy a tug over there but that too gets sold on. Yes we are investigating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts