Isuzu Trooper 1990

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
I just upgraded my T reg galaxy to a H reg Trooper 2.6 litre LWB 4x4 some may see that as a downgrade, but considering the trouble I had with the Galaxy, I am well shut.

The question I have is Has anyone any experience of towing with a Trooper I would hope it will tow better than the Galaxy (and its 2 clutches in 200 miles) I haven't hooked it up to my 17' Swift yet, but can anyone recommend a decent towing mirror?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin, I have used a trooper for 4 years to tow my twin axle and its brilliant,most of the time you just need 2 wheel drive and its a litle slower at accelerating , the only suggestion would be if your reversing on wet grass use 4wheel drive and let the car di it by itself (I know that sounds odd but if you know about 4x4s you,ll know what I mean, and if you don,t its worth doing one of these short courses , they're only a couple of hours long and the cars ability will astound you

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

I have towed with the SWB and LWB Troop, they make awsome tugs and if you look after them will not let you down.

Firstly is yours a diesel? Cos I can only expound on them.

I currently use a 94 3.1 TD Bighorn which is the import version of the Trooper. It tows beautifully and I regularly tow a horsebox of up to 3 tonnes, depending which nag is on board, so my van at around 1.5 tonnes is a dodle.

The mechanicals on these beasts are truly unbreakable and the engines will go to half a million miles if you change the oil regularly. The Chassis can rust on the older models such as yours - around the back spring area and the front crossmember is the place they mainly go.

The dealer which I have bought my last two Bailey vans from paid a very positive tribute to the Troop - he got rid of his about three years ago, the only reason being that it was "getting on a bit" but after using two Mitsi L 200's he wishes he still had it. "The best towcar I ever had and I wish they still made them" he said. This from a proffesional who is constantly moving vans between sites and delivering and collecting them throughout the country.

Can't say fairer than that can you!

Final anecdote: Thought I had a problem with mine yesterday as it seemed a bit slugish pulling a loaded horsebox through a muddy field. Her indoors said "the box wheels are skidding" Yes I had left the hand brake on! Big Willy in 4WD, didn't even spin a wheel although it was in 6 inches of mud; just grunted a bit and dragged the load relentlessy on.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry forgot - I use a Milenco on the Drivers side only when towing the Van. The cars mirrors are large but I find a tow mirror gives you that extra bit of view nearer to the back of the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts