Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi, We are interested in going to Italy next summer, the kids will be 11,9 & 7 does anyone know of good campsites on the coasts. Have heard a lot about bandits in Italy? should we be concerned or is it worth the trip, it looks beautiful. Is the coast nice or is it better near the lakes, do many English venture this far?. Thanks Mick

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

Over the last few years we have been to Lakes Garda, Como and Positano on the Amalfi Coast - all flying holidays. Of the Lakes we much preferred Como - it is smaller, less busy and prettier - especially Bellagio. The Amalfi Coast is stunning - especially Positano and this is one place we would return to.

This year we drove to Liguria and walked the five town coastal path of the Cinque Terre. It is like the Amalfi Coast but not so chic so also not so expensive, but still stunning.

The drive to Italy was quite a way, but easy roads through France, but noticeably busier once in Italy, but still maneagable. Pitches in Italy are much smaller and closer than in France but we only experienced friendly people, so I personally would not worry about bandits.

If you have the time, do it, and if there is anything else I can help with, please ask.

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael

We have been to Italy several times and love it...As Chris says the people are very nice and friendly....The driving in Italy is busy but still not as bad as the UK....and you can get some mad drivers....but so you can here at home....Pitches do tend to be smaller but we have always got in with our twin axle 'van. We book through the Caravan Club and I can recommend you try Camping Ca'Savio near Jessolo. The site is right by the beach which is great and there are two huge pool areas. Activities are arranged for the kids to join in and Venice is just a 40 mins. boat ride over the Lagoon. We also love Lake Garda with its stunning views, but this might not suit the younger children. We like to travel through Germany and make this part of the holiday. The children would love to see Neuschwanstein Castle or the 'All Year Christmas shops' in Rothenburg. Do give Italy a go...and please ask if you want other ideas or help.

Happy Travels BarryB

May 10, 2007
Visit site
We lived in Italy for many years and our daughter lives and works near Modena, she feels far safer in Italy as do I and James. Yes their is some crime, but their is also much crime here in the UK. We lock our doors here and our neighbours have been burgled. In Italy we left doors of our homes unlocked as does my daughter now.

We'e never come across bandits apart from some store owners in Milan ;)

Ria

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Barrie,

As you have been to Italy several times, would you advise me to tow my large caravan in late September, around Switzerland or through there to Milan. And which route would you suggest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barrie,

As you have been to Italy several times, would you advise me to tow my large caravan in late September, around Switzerland or through there to Milan. And which route would you suggest.
Hi Roger

The main route through Switzerland is the Gothard tunnel and motorway, which can have very long queues in the summer. In September you may be OK. Are you aware that using Switzerland will mean you need to buy two vignettes ( 1 for the car and 1 for the'van) a cost of 40 Swiss Franks each. For these reasons we have used the German route and the Brenner motorway over the last few years. ( about 8 Euros for the pass and 8 Euros for the Austrian tolls). This is quite a spectacular route and not a difficult climb for any outfit,.. I was in 5th and 6th gear most of the way coming home this year. It is a bit of a pull up from Insbruck for about 2 or 3 miles but not bad. The German route is about 100 miles more though, so its a case of 6 and 2 threes. Of course it depends also as to where you are going in Italy. Hope this is of some use. Ask again if you want more details. Happy Travels BarryB

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Roger

The main route through Switzerland is the Gothard tunnel and motorway, which can have very long queues in the summer. In September you may be OK. Are you aware that using Switzerland will mean you need to buy two vignettes ( 1 for the car and 1 for the'van) a cost of 40 Swiss Franks each. For these reasons we have used the German route and the Brenner motorway over the last few years. ( about 8 Euros for the pass and 8 Euros for the Austrian tolls). This is quite a spectacular route and not a difficult climb for any outfit,.. I was in 5th and 6th gear most of the way coming home this year. It is a bit of a pull up from Insbruck for about 2 or 3 miles but not bad. The German route is about 100 miles more though, so its a case of 6 and 2 threes. Of course it depends also as to where you are going in Italy. Hope this is of some use. Ask again if you want more details. Happy Travels BarryB
Hi Barry,

Thanks for replying. Over 4 weeks, I intend to ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and to tour to Milan and Lake Como then onto Venice. If we have time, visit Florence and maybe Rome. Your suggested route through Germany and Austria sounds interesting, as I like to the idea of being adventures, although I wonder whether it would be any quicker through France to Turin via Lyon, albeit not as pretty as your route. Perhaps you would like to comment?

Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

We're just back from our second trip to Italy. We went last year too - both times for about 5 weeks. Last year we crossed Dover to Dunkerque and then used free French Autoroutes and same in Belguim and Luxembourg. We then continued on down past Nancy and then turned west over the N66 through the Ballons de Vosge mountains. The latter is an easy route with gentle hairpins for any gradients. We then crossed into Switzerland from France. The last bit was a mistake as we later heard that it is possible to avoid Basle with its awful roadworks by crossing the Rhine into Germany and approaching Switzerland from there. We then drove down through Switzerland on the motorways. This does involve buying a annual vignettes for the car AND caravn - a bit of a rip-off really as it we were only in Switzerland for one day driving through each way. We crossed the Alps via the St Gotthard Pass going south last year as long queues at the tunnel. Again relatively easy gradients with hairpin bends - nothing scarey. It is flat on top and then hairpins down the other side - a good road. On the way back home and going down this year we used the tunnel. I do not like tunnels and find the 10 continuous miles of the St Gotthard a bit scarey.

The first year we stayed at Camping La Riva where the river flows into the Northern end of Lake Como. Very scenic Lakes and mountains but not a lot for your kids. We then continued on to Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula. A lovely campsite with more for kids. Right on the beach of the Adriatic. Warm sea and VERY gentle sloping beach with lovely sands. Tehre are lots of other campsites of varying size and facilities right along the peninsula. Union Lido has its own Cinema, Church, shopping precinct and supermarket as well as several pools and sports centre - We saw the facilities when we attended the English Church service held there.

These campsites are ideal for visiting Venice. There is a bus but we drove the 4 miles to Ponti Sabione and caught the boat into Venice on several days. We bought a Venice card each time which gives unlimited travel on the waterbuses and free entrance to some museums and public loos. We alternated visiting Venice with its crowds and days on the beach to recover. When the crowds in Venice got too much we just jumped on a boat and cruised around the lagoon or went to one of he quieter islands.

This year we travelled further south and stayed at Camping Roma Flash on Lake Bracciano. The Lake is Rome's reservoir and is very pleasant. We travelled into Rome to see the sites on a couple of days - Bus to local station and then train (45mins). Lakeside was a cool haven after 32.5C temperatures of Rome.

We then drove back north and stayed for 2 weeks at Camping Riva St Pietro at Maron on Lake Iseo. This is a beautiful location right on the lakeside. Children's playground, pool and boats and swimming on/in the lake.

As our car broke down on the way north and the CC Red Pennant insurance had only managed to supply a VW Passat to replace our 4x4 we took the gentler route over the Brenner Motorway on the way home. As already said a scenic route and much cheaper than Switzerland as can buy 10 day Vignettes. We then drove up through Austria and Germany before rejoining our original route down near Luxembourg.

Italy is a beautiful country but it is quite a long drive. I would advise breaking up the journey with kids by stopping off somewhere in France or Belguim on the way down and back. The campsites tend to be more expensive than France, however. I would recommend Alan Roger's "Italy" and CC "Caravan Europe" Campsite guides - cheapest from Amazon.

We would recommend Italy.

Happy 'vanning.

Tim

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

We're just back from our second trip to Italy. We went last year too - both times for about 5 weeks. Last year we crossed Dover to Dunkerque and then used free French Autoroutes and same in Belguim and Luxembourg. We then continued on down past Nancy and then turned west over the N66 through the Ballons de Vosge mountains. The latter is an easy route with gentle hairpins for any gradients. We then crossed into Switzerland from France. The last bit was a mistake as we later heard that it is possible to avoid Basle with its awful roadworks by crossing the Rhine into Germany and approaching Switzerland from there. We then drove down through Switzerland on the motorways. This does involve buying a annual vignettes for the car AND caravn - a bit of a rip-off really as it we were only in Switzerland for one day driving through each way. We crossed the Alps via the St Gotthard Pass going south last year as long queues at the tunnel. Again relatively easy gradients with hairpin bends - nothing scarey. It is flat on top and then hairpins down the other side - a good road. On the way back home and going down this year we used the tunnel. I do not like tunnels and find the 10 continuous miles of the St Gotthard a bit scarey.

The first year we stayed at Camping La Riva where the river flows into the Northern end of Lake Como. Very scenic Lakes and mountains but not a lot for your kids. We then continued on to Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula. A lovely campsite with more for kids. Right on the beach of the Adriatic. Warm sea and VERY gentle sloping beach with lovely sands. Tehre are lots of other campsites of varying size and facilities right along the peninsula. Union Lido has its own Cinema, Church, shopping precinct and supermarket as well as several pools and sports centre - We saw the facilities when we attended the English Church service held there.

These campsites are ideal for visiting Venice. There is a bus but we drove the 4 miles to Ponti Sabione and caught the boat into Venice on several days. We bought a Venice card each time which gives unlimited travel on the waterbuses and free entrance to some museums and public loos. We alternated visiting Venice with its crowds and days on the beach to recover. When the crowds in Venice got too much we just jumped on a boat and cruised around the lagoon or went to one of he quieter islands.

This year we travelled further south and stayed at Camping Roma Flash on Lake Bracciano. The Lake is Rome's reservoir and is very pleasant. We travelled into Rome to see the sites on a couple of days - Bus to local station and then train (45mins). Lakeside was a cool haven after 32.5C temperatures of Rome.

We then drove back north and stayed for 2 weeks at Camping Riva St Pietro at Maron on Lake Iseo. This is a beautiful location right on the lakeside. Children's playground, pool and boats and swimming on/in the lake.

As our car broke down on the way north and the CC Red Pennant insurance had only managed to supply a VW Passat to replace our 4x4 we took the gentler route over the Brenner Motorway on the way home. As already said a scenic route and much cheaper than Switzerland as can buy 10 day Vignettes. We then drove up through Austria and Germany before rejoining our original route down near Luxembourg.

Italy is a beautiful country but it is quite a long drive. I would advise breaking up the journey with kids by stopping off somewhere in France or Belguim on the way down and back. The campsites tend to be more expensive than France, however. I would recommend Alan Roger's "Italy" and CC "Caravan Europe" Campsite guides - cheapest from Amazon.

We would recommend Italy.

Happy 'vanning.

Tim
tim.

we actually crossed over into germany and onto there A5,as you say to avoid basle side streets, well this was in the middle of august and it was a mistake. The last 2 miles to the swiz border was hell due to hold ups on the german side!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts