I've done it now!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s more food for thought. Thetford’s own explanation for using Pink in the flush tank.

PRODUCT DETAILS​

Thetford aqua rinse the famous pink toilet fluid with improved formula use 100ml per 15 litre of flush tank capacity for daily use that keeps the flush water fresh and ensures that your toilet flushes effectively. Thetford aqua rinse plus prevents deposits from forming in the bowl and promotes easier opening and closing of the toilet blade.
Details and dimensions:
  • Size: 400ml or 1.5 litre
  • Improved formula; keeps the flush water clean and fresh
  • Pleasant, intense lavender scent
  • Ensures a more effective and smoother flush
  • Leaves a protective layer in the toilet bowl
  • Improves hygiene as faeces attach less easily
  • Environmentally conscious can be emptied into a septic tank (Test ISO 11734)
  • Prevents scale
  • Lubricates the seals
  • Contains biodegradable ingredients
  • Suitable for plastic and ceramic bowls
Perfect to combine with Thetford aqua kem green and thetford aqua soft toilet paper.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I got rid of the black bits and now that I have I shall try and keep it that way. I see the logic in plain water flush as used in domestic toilets. I never quite understood what flush additives were supposed to achieve anyway.
Flush additives if used prior to using the loo give a coating to the bowl that helps to prevent stuff sticking. The fragrance is just a means of masking odours, but their effectiveness varies dependant on make, dilution and usage. So it’s something of a personal choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Flush additives if used prior to using the loo give a coating to the bowl that helps to prevent stuff sticking. The fragrance is just a means of masking odours, but their effectiveness varies dependant on make, dilution and usage. So it’s something of a personal choice.
Many caravans with onboard tank don't have a flush tank. We have not used the pink for several years and no issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its perhaps worth mentioning here the need for care about the emptying of chemical toilets.

When chemical toilets were first introduced it was common to add a blue chemical to the waste container. Its purpose was to be a strong antibacterial agent to kill any bacteria in the waste material, and to scent to mask unpleasant odours. If this mix was disposed of into a septic tank, the chemicals would also kill the desirable microbes needed and it would stop the septic tank to functioning

The proper disposal should be either into the public foul water sewers, or into a cesspit holding tank which is professionally emptied.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Its perhaps worth mentioning here the need for care about the emptying of chemical toilets.

When chemical toilets were first introduced it was common to add a blue chemical to the waste container. Its purpose was to be a strong antibacterial agent to kill any bacteria in the waste material, and to scent to mask unpleasant odours. If this mix was disposed of into a septic tank, the chemicals would also kill the desirable microbes needed and it would stop the septic tank to functioning

The proper disposal should be either into the public foul water sewers, or into a cesspit holding tank which is professionally emptied.
A lot of new CLs demand the use of green bio fluids rather than the old fashioned blues. After much experiment I can endorse Elsan Green is nearly as good a performer as Elsan blue. After 12 hours paper and solids break down well.

Reactions: GaryB and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A lot of new CLs demand the use of green bio fluids rather than the old fashioned blues. After much experiment I can endorse Elsan Green is nearly as good a performer as Elsan blue. After 12 hours paper and solids break down well.
That would visually rule out the bio fluid Onechem/Unochem as people could get the wrong impression as it’s a deep blue colour yet bio friendly. Company could perhaps change the colour in order to prevent CDP rage😂

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
We run plain water in the flush tank and empty it every time we move the van.
About twice a year I chuck a Milton tablet in the flush tank and carry on using the flush as normal. No black bits this year there was last year when we first got the van.
As for bottom tank I use bio washing liquid and empty the tank every day as it won't last 2 days.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There have been cases of premature failure of the flush impeller when “non approved “ substances / chemicals have been added to the flush tank.
However I recall Thetford saying Milton solution or tablets and Puriclean can be used and should be rinsed out after no more than two hours.
Bleach I think is different and may cause damage to the pump seals etc? Any thoughts?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never used anything other than water or Thetford own cassette cleaner that dissolves lime build up. In the flush tank it was always a proprietary fluid. Generally Elsa’s or Thetford whichever was cheapest at shows or latterly online. Then I moved over to One Chem which suited my needs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There have been cases of premature failure of the flush impeller when “non approved “ substances / chemicals have been added to the flush tank.
However I recall Thetford saying Milton solution or tablets and Puriclean can be used and should be rinsed out after no more than two hours.
Bleach I think is different and may cause damage to the pump seals etc? Any thoughts?
Isn't Milton a type of bleach? I do know that it should not be used to sterilise the water system and it will stain stainless steel. :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Isn't Milton a type of bleach? I do know that it should not be used to sterilise the water system and it will stain stainless steel. :unsure:
Yes in a way , in a way no.
Milton Sterilising Fluid is a form of bleach and contains sodium hypochlorite 2%. It is recommended over other bleach formulations as it does not contain colouring agents or perfumes, so it is less likely to cause stinging or irritation. Another advantage is that it comes as a standard strength.
And yes of left more than an hour or so it will start to corrode the stainless steel parts.
Yet when our kids were babies we used Milton all the time fro sterilising their bottles . I was told it was so safe you could drink it🙀

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes in a way , in a way no.
Milton Sterilising Fluid is a form of bleach and contains sodium hypochlorite 2%. It is recommended over other bleach formulations as it does not contain colouring agents or perfumes, so it is less likely to cause stinging or irritation. Another advantage is that it comes as a standard strength.
And yes of left more than an hour or so it will start to corrode the stainless steel parts.
Yet when our kids were babies we used Milton all the time fro sterilising their bottles . I was told it was so safe you could drink it🙀
How are your children doing?

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts