I've nearly made up my mind MPV or 4x4

Aug 26, 2005
Visit site
It's down to two options and I need your help. I wish to tow a Bailey Senator Wyoming. My two finalists are the Kia Sorento Automatic or the Alhambra Stylance Automatic. Could owners of these vehicles give me their opinion? All positive and negative feedback gratefully received. Thank you

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
Bill, dont want to make your decision even harder, but have you considered a Kia Sedona? Fantastically versatile, great pulling power (2.9 turbo diesel) and good fuel economy. Bill

Nov 5, 2005
Visit site
Bill, dont want to make your decision even harder, but have you considered a Kia Sedona? Fantastically versatile, great pulling power (2.9 turbo diesel) and good fuel economy. Bill
I have been runing a kia sorento xs for 30 months no problems best for towing and cheapest for caravaning

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Bill,

Go for the SEAT in TDI form , miles better MPG when unladen, cheaper to run, better resale value in the future, lower costs for insurance and tyres.

Regards MH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would like to even up the glowing report from Monkey, by saying go for the Sorento. One of the cheapest 4x4s on the market for running costs, I tow my Wyoming with a Sorento and believe me, it is a towing God! Good resale value, retains 60% after 3 years (What car June 2005) and all the usual 4x4 benefits.

Would also like to remind you that there is a prediction that this is going to be a harsh winter. Case rested.

Ha, and you thought by asking on the forum, your decision would be easier, sorry Bill.

:eek:)

Best Regards

Lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being a Land Rover "nut" I make no recommendation here other than to say an AWD vehicle will pay for itself in spades should you ever be on a wet grass field.

Wet grass is as slippery as a sheet of ice.

As for the make? - I do not mind doing the maintenance, or the smell of EP90 - in fact I love both - part of my hobby.

But the long warranties available with some makes are superb - 5 years! Must be a valuable asset at resale time.

All car makes wax an wane. Look at the British makes so popular a few decades ago. My Dad laughed at the BMW "bubble cars" - look at BMW now!

We both laughed at the funny little Datsun thing that appeared in Worthing (where Datsuns headquarters were and where I lived) - look at Nissan now!

I thought it odd that on my first visit to Spain many years ago the Spanish firm SEAT made copies of old Fiat models. I also found it equally odd that another Spanish firm, Santana, made their own versions of Land Rovers - still do - with parabolic leaf springs! - Could be a Series 4!!

I do not laugh at Korean cars - they came in with a good product, pitched at the right price, and with enough confidence to offer a ground breaking 5 year warranty.

I have heard their dealer network is excellent as well. What price 5 years trouble free motoring?

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I tow a Bailey Bordeaux (1360kg) with a Sorento 2.5 diesel automatic, and it tows really well and 5 van, muddy sites are no problem. The Sorento was an ex demo which was 12 months old when I bought it. In the 9 months that I have had it, there have been no problems at all, and it still has over 2 years warranty left. The only area that it is not as good as my previous TD5 is that the load arae is not as good. However if we need to take a larger than normal load we use my wife's car.

Yesterday I joined a 4x4 club meeting and covered nearly 70 miles of bye ways and military roads around and across Salisbury Plain, and only on one deeply rutted section did I have to detour.( Ox Drovers Way). The car is unmodified and on standard Kuhmo tyres and managed a very respectable performance when compared to the other members. Where it could not compare was in the special sections, but here there were new LR3s with off road tyres and winches etc. But that's not for me, well not yet anyway!

Other Clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi clive

Good to hear you had fun on the plain. Outstanding countryside - outstanding wildlife. Still like the MOD red triangle "Tank" signs as you cross the plain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have owned a Sorento, & towed with it for the last 18 months, & still find it a great vehicle with no complaints at all.

hope this helps

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I tow a Bailey Bordeaux (1360kg) with a Sorento 2.5 diesel automatic, and it tows really well and 5 van, muddy sites are no problem. The Sorento was an ex demo which was 12 months old when I bought it. In the 9 months that I have had it, there have been no problems at all, and it still has over 2 years warranty left. The only area that it is not as good as my previous TD5 is that the load arae is not as good. However if we need to take a larger than normal load we use my wife's car.

Yesterday I joined a 4x4 club meeting and covered nearly 70 miles of bye ways and military roads around and across Salisbury Plain, and only on one deeply rutted section did I have to detour.( Ox Drovers Way). The car is unmodified and on standard Kuhmo tyres and managed a very respectable performance when compared to the other members. Where it could not compare was in the special sections, but here there were new LR3s with off road tyres and winches etc. But that's not for me, well not yet anyway!

Other Clive
Hi I was in one of the D3 (the one without the winch!) We had a ball, I have to say though my out of the box D3 was indistinguishable from my mates MTR shod winch equipped beasts. We will definately be going back to explore more areas. http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=189 Are a few of the piccis of the day!

Aug 26, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses, it is really appreciated. Because of health reasons I need to have an automatic gearbox. My reticance about buying the Seat Alhambra was regarding adverse comments I had read about the auto gearbox. Have any of you had experience or knowledge of this configuration?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Bill,

The reason I recommended the Alhambra is that we have its sister model the VW Sharan in auto-box form. Touch wood we haven't had any problems (100K ) on the clock and our van is quite big. But I don't like the idea of these "filled for life" gear boxes and so ours is changed at 50K

Don't get me wrong the Kia is a popular car but I believe the Seat is more practical and cost effective day to day. If you buying privately I would ask for one for at least half a day from each dealer and then draw up a list of good and bad points .

Safe motoring

Monkeys Husband

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Bill, the auto option in the alhambra is the "tiptronic" gearbox which i am led to believe is very very good. from what i have been adviced you can use it as a full time auto or a clutchless manual box although i have never driven it so can not confirm how good it is. the only downside to the tiptronic alhambra is it is only available with the 1.9 tdi 115 bhp engine wich i had in my galaxy, i found the galaxy a little underpowered when towing my twin axle ace celebration and this was a manual gearbox. ive since changed to the alhambra 1.9 tdi 130 bhp manual and it is light years more confident at pulling our van, its only 15 bhp more but is so much more confident. another point if you could manage a manual is the 2006 alhambra stylance is now fitted with the 2.0 tdi 16 valve diesel engine producing 140 bhp and better efficiency than the 1.9 it replaces, unfortunately the tiptronic box can not handle the power so it remains with the 1.9 engine. overall a fantastic towcar, as for the wet grass and mud, any site owner will remove your van for you if it gets stuck, they are not going to let you stay for free are they ?.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi I was in one of the D3 (the one without the winch!) We had a ball, I have to say though my out of the box D3 was indistinguishable from my mates MTR shod winch equipped beasts. We will definately be going back to explore more areas. http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=189 Are a few of the piccis of the day!
Hi,

it was a good day out. Some of our guys from work are going back on the 2nd January to repeat some of the 'better' sections! The pictures in your gallery lok good.

Orher clive

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

it was a good day out. Some of our guys from work are going back on the 2nd January to repeat some of the 'better' sections! The pictures in your gallery lok good.

Orher clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts