Jacking the caravan

Oct 4, 2006
Visit site
I recently had the caravan tyres replaced and was surprised that the tyre fitter used a trolley jack underneath the Al Ko side lift jacking brackets. Is this an acceptable jacking point or should the trolley jack have been positioned under the axle orr axle plate?
I would welcome comments.
Many thanks
Roy Horridge

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
RoyHorridge said:
I recently had the caravan tyres replaced and was surprised that the tyre fitter used a trolley jack underneath the Al Ko side lift jacking brackets. Is this an acceptable jacking point or should the trolley jack have been positioned under the axle orr axle plate?
I would welcome comments.
Many thanks
Roy Horridge

The jacking points are there to jack up the 'van, so, provided he didn't damage the bracket, I can see no harm in this.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Trolley jacks are only for use on hard surfaces where the wheels of the jack are unimpeded and do not sink in.
The trolley jack must be able to move forward during the lift and backwards during the drop.
If it is prevented from doing so the jack can slip off the jacking point or even bend or break it.
Jacks that provide a vertical lift are much safer for use on caravans as the jacking surface under the caravan is unpredictable.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
As long as the trolley jack is free to travel and follow the 'arc' of the lift then no problem, have used trolley jack on my lifting points dozens of times to align wheel lock.

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I watched the caravan mechanic servicing mine recently. He jacked it up using a trolley jack and pointed out to me the re-enforced jacking part of the Al-Co chassis just behind the axle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I posted a few years ago What happens when you use a trolley jack on the Al-ko bracket. The heavier the caravan the more likely for a total failure. There is no warning. The bracket bends through 90degs resulting in a collapse. IMO the bolt on bracket is under engineered and a disaster waiting to happen.
Place the trolley jack under the axle near to the hub. Or buy a commercially made non Al-ko bracket and use a simple bottle jack.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
A possible problem with jacking under the axle is that on some models the wheel is larger than the wheel arch, for aesthetic reasons, therefore the body needs to be lifted to extend the suspension for the wheel to clear.
Gafferbill, the OP did say that the TYRE FITTER did the job. I assumed that he would know what he was doing, and that the van was on his workshop floor.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
emmerson said:
Gafferbill, the OP did say that the TYRE FITTER did the job. I assumed that he would know what he was doing, and that the van was on his workshop floor.

............the OP asked for comments.

Emmerson............your comment was equally as valid as mine :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I posted a few years ago What happens when you use a trolley jack on the Al-ko bracket. The heavier the caravan the more likely for a total failure. There is no warning. The bracket bends through 90degs resulting in a collapse. IMO the bolt on bracket is under engineered and a disaster waiting to happen.
Place the trolley jack under the axle near to the hub. Or buy a commercially made non Al-ko bracket and use a simple bottle jack.

DD, can you give a link to an example of the non Al-ko bracket type you refer to.

Thanks.
Anseo

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anseo said:
Dustydog said:

DD, can you give a link to an example of the non Al-ko bracket type you refer to.

Thanks.
Anseo

See this
Sir Chunky is absolutely correct.
See this for the pics of the damage I caused using a trolley jack incorrectly.
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/al-ko-jacking-stiffener-plates-catastrophy
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/46755-jacking-up-your-van#yokbcUHidDOl50MY.99

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Coachman 2013 came with Alko jacking poinnt on the caravan, I had previously bought a " Kojac" hydraulic unit , the attachments to the van are similar to the Alko but in my opinion are far better. And have transferred to our new caravan. The Alko are obviousley satisfactorcy, but rough. . And known to bend / collapse.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Sir Haggis, The Alko,ones just bolt onto the chassie, the Kojak, do the same but jave a raised section on mine that supporys the caravan floor.
Ok not much but allmhelps. Also I can lift the Sante Fe with the Kojak. Never had to do eiher yet thankfully yet... hoping to travel up home to Aberdeen, this year, call you nearer to the time.
Hutch.
AKA , Alistair.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
One of the problems with using a trolley jack on the Al-Ko supplied jacking point is the way a trolley jack works, when jacking the trolley jack raises in an ark, if not on flat smooth surface that the jack can roll on then the trolley jack won't roll on it's wheels to compensate the ark and this will then pull on the bracket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts