Just about to buy a Mondeo

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

After a lot of thought and saving, I am ditching my 04 Vectra (its pants). I have seen a nice 55 plate Mondeo Zetec S 2ltr TDCI (130ps) however it looks a tad lower than the standard Zetec Mondeo, am I correct? Also is this likely to adversely affect the tow ball height? Any comments on these models?

I currently use MAD auxiliary spring assistors on my Vectra, is it wise to buy some for the Mondeo? Improved ride height when towing, reduced pitching etc etc.

Also is there a preferred tow bracket, Witter, Brink?!?! Are the Towsure brackets any good/easy to wire in?!?!

I know there are loads of you Mondeo fans out there, it is you who have convinced me to fly Ford. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gazza

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I can't comment on your specific questions but I have used several Mondeos as a company car and always found them excellent. Just avoid the 18inch wheels and low profile tyres. I now run my cars privately but still bought another Mondeo TDCi - it just does everything I want. I also have a Merc and an Audi but the Mondeo is the best all-rounder

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
well its nice to know that someone else feels the same about the vectra i too had a53 plate 2.2sri diesel for towing and ill tell you it was the worst car ive ever had never again ,now back to the point i have bought a 55plate mondeo lx 130tdci and tow a eldiss typhoon gtx all up at 1450 but never take that much in the van and all i can say its the best car ive ever towed with as you say mines basic but thats a bonus less to go wrong not like the vectra ,hand on heart i would say im more than happy in fact over the moon with the mondeo and a smooth ride when towing regards mike

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
I think the Mondeo diesels are excellent towcars. I have a 2.2 TDCi 155bhp Titanium estate (05 plate) and it pulls my Swift Challenger 480 (1400 MPTLM) a dream. I had to have a de-mountable towbar fitted - Witter - but that may not be necessary on a Zetec S.

Other posts and threads have commented on difficulties on traction over wet grass, but I have never had any problems in some quite wet and slippery situations - keep your foot off the throttle and it winds itself out!

Go for it!

Paul

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your replies chaps.

I went and test drove the Mondeo tonight, I cannot believe how much better it is than the Vectra, it pulls like crazy, very comfy and loaded with goodies, was hopeing it would be a bit cheaper now the new model is out, but the dealer was not haggling for anything, he did give me a fair trade in price. After all that though I drove a Passat, very nice. Both good cars but the Passat felt very solid. Not sure what to do now.

Anyone else got a Passat?

Cheers

Gazza

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
On my third Passat, having had the choice of VW, BMW 3 Series (too small) C-Class ( some cheap plastics, arrogant dealers, tax penalties) Saab, Honda etc as well as mondeo,vectra et al.

Wouldn`t change. My dad has a Mondeo and the steering is absolutely superb, but other than that it doen`t compare. Don`t know about the new one, but I think its pug-ugly so wouldn`t have one.

For a private buyer a nearly new Mondeo makes sense because of its huge depreciation ( next door bought an `Edge` Tdci 130 estate, 3month old, 1200 miles, alloys, metallic,rear sensors

Mar 18, 2005
Visit site
Sorry I can't comment on your specific questions but I have used several Mondeos as a company car and always found them excellent. Just avoid the 18inch wheels and low profile tyres. I now run my cars privately but still bought another Mondeo TDCi - it just does everything I want. I also have a Merc and an Audi but the Mondeo is the best all-rounder
Hi Roly

Why avoid 18inch wheels. I have a titanuim X 130bhp with 18inch wheels tows like a dream better than the 51 plate ghia i had before

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I had a Zetec S Estate TDCi 130 and towed like a dream.Only problem I had was getting the right towbar.When I bought the car in 2003 towbar manufacturers didn't realise the Zetec S had deeper bumper thus clearance between towball and bumper was greatly reduced - I think they have realised this by now but be warned!!

I now tow with a Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi hatch which is even better than my previous car.Both cars have had 18' wheels so can't comment on whether they should be avoided or not.The car is fitted with a Brink detachable bar which is very neat and very little bumper cut.

My caravan is a Coachman Amara so quite a heavy van but car is more than adequate to pull with plenty of power.

If you can go for the 2.2 TDCI ( 155 BHP ) model as they have that extra grunt.

Hope this helps

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I had a Passat before the Mondeo - also very nice but I found the Mondeo a bit more comfortable. However VW service depts are more expensive but 100% better than Ford.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies chaps.

I went and test drove the Mondeo tonight, I cannot believe how much better it is than the Vectra, it pulls like crazy, very comfy and loaded with goodies, was hopeing it would be a bit cheaper now the new model is out, but the dealer was not haggling for anything, he did give me a fair trade in price. After all that though I drove a Passat, very nice. Both good cars but the Passat felt very solid. Not sure what to do now.

Anyone else got a Passat?

Cheers

Gazza
I am on my second passat now, great towcar, as is the Mondeo, but the passat is in my opinion a more durable car than the ford, particularly as the miles mount up, the passat 130 tdi engine was "diesel car's" engine of the year.

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
used to have a 2004 mondeo zetec s which towed great,but have now bought a 2007 new shape mondeo tdci 2.00 140bhp zetec,what a tow car.Much better than the old model.

Splash out the extra cash Gassa and you won't be dissapointed.

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
used to have a 2004 mondeo zetec s which towed great,but have now bought a 2007 new shape mondeo tdci 2.00 140bhp zetec,what a tow car.Much better than the old model.

Splash out the extra cash Gassa and you won't be dissapointed.
Only problem with 18"alloys is the price of the tyres.Still look great on the mondeo.

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gazza

I have a Zetec S, and cant fault the handling of the car, I dont think that it is any lower than any other model, I think it looks lower due to the body kit. Well the wheels and tyres, in my 20 years of driving I have had 7 punctures, but 6 of them have been in the last 2 years with the mondeo's 18" low profile tyres, thankfully its a company car so I didnt have to pay for them, expect to pay up to

May 18, 2007
Visit site
The Zetec S is a great car to tow with.I had the estate version with self-levelling suspension.Very stable car.

Regarding tyres - I use Etyres.com and they cost about

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
couple of comments : I used to tow 1300KG with a 115bhp 5dr Zetec and it was superb - stayed in 5th gear all the way up most inclines on A-roads and motorways.

Regarding the Passat, I had heard on hear and saw first hand evidence that they may be prone to problems from a "small" clutch plate. Was at a site once where a chap had all sorts of problems with his just after reversing onto a pitch.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Bit of a hijack, but I'm looking at the 2007 Mondeo TDCI myself. Am just a bit worried it's not powerful enough as I currently have a 3 year old Alfa 156 2.4JTD (175bhp). What's it like solo? Have you compared it to anything more powerful? I wish Ford would bring out a 2.5 TDCI performance diesel. Most other companies manage 2 litre diesels with between 150 and 170 bhp and 2.4/2.5's with around 200 bhp. Currently, if I want the Mondeo I've either got to go for the 140bhp diesel or the 220bhp 2.5 turbo petrol (drinks fuel!). There's nothing in-between.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Mine is the 130bhp diesel which I find has ample power (Ghia X estate). Relaxed at 120mph on the cruise control in Germany last year (solo!!). You just get a bit more road noise with 18inch tyres as soon as they get a bit worn.

Note the VW 1.9TDi engine is available in various cars giving anything from 90 to 225bhp - ask yourself which is under the most stress!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Jonathan,

The Passat has never suffered from a `small` clutch plate, but like many cars it can suffer from stupid owners.

Some cars had problems with the original dual-mass flywheels which were fitted (my old one had one) which was readily rectified under warranty.

Still got the car which has now done 90k since the clutch was changed, many towing both caravans and horseboxes with no problems.

Now have the 140TDI Sport and wouldn`t swap it although the 130 is better (in my opinion) for towing, and is far less agricultural than the Ford, although the new 140 (Ford), if anything like in the Peugeot 407 (which it should be, essentially the same unit and Peugeot have always made nice diesels) is probably a different kettle of fish. But the looks....

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Wouldn't it be great if Ford did a FWD Mondeo with a powerful diesel engine ? We can live in hope.

I tow with the 2.2 ST TDCi and has plenty of grunt and pulling power.

I have,however,suffered from smelly clutch due to reversing on wet ground and spinning wheels!!!

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

I bought a 56 plate 2ltr TDCI Zetec in the end. Bye Bye to the Vectra, good ridence aswell.

Just need a towbar now.

Cheers

Gazza

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts