Just passed my test need advice

Apr 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi all just passed my driving test and was thinking of getting a caravan. What can I legally tow ? Will I need to take a test ? Looked on the gov website but not quite sure about what it means. Having a b license does it mean I can tow a 3500kg caravan and a 3500 car or is the amount a combined 3500 kg ? I saw the law changed in 2021 but just dont get

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You might find this helpful:
New rules for towing a caravan or trailer - Caravan Guard
and of course this sites magazine article:
New towing rules come into effect - Practical Caravan
Although I think in the UK there is no need to have your licence replaced if you intend towing in Europe you should request an updated version so that you can demonstrate your 'B+E' entitlement if challenged.
I think it would be best to renew/replace you driving licence with anew one as then you will be able to have te new BE or B+E entitelment that allows you to tow upto 3500 kg with a vechile upto 3500kg gross weight.

I recieved my 70 year old renewal yesterday and I will not be able to drive a small lorry as from 24th of June. Just a technicallity

Reactions: Mydoddy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all just passed my driving test and was thinking of getting a caravan. What can I legally tow ? Will I need to take a test ? Looked on the gov website but not quite sure about what it means. Having a b license does it mean I can tow a 3500kg caravan and a 3500 car or is the amount a combined 3500 kg ? I saw the law changed in 2021 but just dont get

Hello Mydoddy,

The previous answers have provided the information about the recent change to the drivers towing allowances, but it's probably just reiterating what you have already seen. Prior to 1997 all new issued licence automatically include entitlement "Be", butfor licences issued after 1997 new drivers were only issued with "B" which restricted the maximum combined MAM of a car or car and trailer to 3500kg. There were some other limiting factors which really restricted caravanners as caravans tend to be large car trailers.

The most recent change has now mostly restored the original BE entitlement, and applied retrospectively to licence issued after 1997. Its not quite a full restoration to the pre 1997 limits but in practical terms it is good enough for virtually all caravanners.

Please don't get the idea your free to match a massive caravan to a small tow car, No:- - there are still the construction and use regulations that mean vehicle manufacturers still have to set weight (or Mass) limits for each vehicle, and many of these limits are legally binding, so you must not exceed the car manufacturers specifications.

Once you know the car you are going to use, you can use the cars data plate information to work out what weight of trailer you can tow, but it may still not be wise to max out the cars capacity, especially when considering towing a caravan.

Car manufacturers have to follow a range of tests to work out what each cars towing capacity is. The tests are based on an "ideal" trailer, and unfortunately caravans are no where near ideal trailers. Their size and shape makes then very susceptible to external forces such as wind resistance , side wind, or bow waves as vehicles pass, road surface imperfections, all of which can trigger a poorly matched or poorly loaded trailer into instability.

In recognition of these added risks associated with caravans, the UK caravan industry advises caravanners to choose a caravans whose MTPLM does not exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight, and only consider exceeding 85% as the drivers experience grows. This is only advice, and has no legal authority, but the principle of keeping a trailer as light as possible is obviously sensible. And of course the advice does not allow you to exceed any of the cars specified limits.

Good towing is not just about weight ratios, it is also relient on sensible luggage loading , achieving a good hitch load, keeping both car and caravan properly maintained including adjusting tyre pressures for towing, and probably most crucial good driving habits.

Whilst there is no longer a need for a formal driving test to tow larger caravans, taking a caravan driving course will almost certainly be good thing. I believe both the carvanning clubs offer such courses, and they cover many of the other essential (non driving) skills needed for a good caravanning experience.

Edit following Hutches comment
The DVLA say that all post 1997 licences records have been electronically updated and as such you do not need to immediately renew your licence. Simply follow the normal renewal process according to its expiry date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mydoddy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Mydoddy,

The previous answers have provided the information about the recent change to the drivers towing allowances, but it's probably just reiterating what you have already seen. Prior to 1997 all new issued licence automatically include entitlement "Be", butfor licences issued after 1997 new drivers were only issued with "B" which restricted the maximum combined MAM of a car or car and trailer to 3500kg. There were some other limiting factors which really restricted caravanners as caravans tend to be large car trailers.

The most recent change has now mostly restored the original BE entitlement, and applied retrospectively to licence issued after 1997. Its not quite a full restoration to the pre 1997 limits but in practical terms it is good enough for virtually all caravanners.

Please don't get the idea your free to match a massive caravan to a small tow car, No:- - there are still the construction and use regulations that mean vehicle manufacturers still have to set weight (or Mass) limits for each vehicle, and many of these limits are legally binding, so you must not exceed the car manufacturers specifications.

Once you know the car you are going to use, you can use the cars data plate information to work out what weight of trailer you can tow, but it may still not be wise to max out the cars capacity, especially when considering towing a caravan.

Car manufacturers have to follow a range of tests to work out what each cars towing capacity is. The tests are based on an "ideal" trailer, and unfortunately caravans are no where near ideal trailers. Their size and shape makes then very susceptible to external forces such as wind resistance , side wind, or bow waves as vehicles pass, road surface imperfections, all of which can trigger a poorly matched or poorly loaded trailer into instability.

In recognition of these added risks associated with caravans, the UK caravan industry advises caravanners to choose a caravans whose MTPLM does not exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight, and only consider exceeding 85% as the drivers experience grows. This is only advice, and has no legal authority, but the principle of keeping a trailer as light as possible is obviously sensible. And of course the advice does not allow you to exceed any of the cars specified limits.

Good towing is not just about weight ratios, it is also relient on sensible luggage loading , achieving a good hitch load, keeping both car and caravan properly maintained including adjusting tyre pressures for towing, and probably most crucial good driving habits.

Whilst there is no longer a need for a formal driving test to tow larger caravans, taking a caravan driving course will almost certainly be good thing. I believe both the carvanning clubs offer such courses, and they cover many of the other essential (non driving) skills needed for a good caravanning experience.

Edit following Hutches comment
The DVLA say that all post 1997 licences records have been electronically updated and as such you do not need to immediately renew your licence. Simply follow the normal renewal process according to its expiry date.
But if the OP plans to take a caravan to Europe renewing the licence prior to it’s scheduled renewal date to show the OPs full entitlement is required.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As you have only just passed your driving test, I strongly recommend that you join either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club and do a towing test.
Also insurance on car and caravan is going to be quite high in the 1st year of driving and also towing as there will be no accumulated No Claims bonus. Doing the towing course will give you a small discount on insurance plus secure storage for the caravan.

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have just passed your test I would get some solo driving experience before trying to tow anything and if you do tow look at the advice on safe towing. Towing is not difficult but needs some practice and an understanding of weights, loading and techniques and the right car. A short training course is very sensible.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think it would be best to renew/replace you driving licence with anew one as then you will be able to have te new BE or B+E entitelment that allows you to tow upto 3500 kg with a vechile upto 3500kg gross weight.

I recieved my 70 year old renewal yesterday and I will not be able to drive a small lorry as from 24th of June. Just a technicallity
You don't need to change your licence to get the new BE entitlement - at least not in the UK.

In theory, newly qualified drivers should get the BE on their new licence - but this is DVLA so probably not for a few years!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Roger, what I meant was don't drive with your provisional and the pass certificate, make sure it is on your licence before driving with a caravan, as a "Just in case"

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger, what I meant was don't drive with your provisional and the pass certificate, make sure it is on your licence before driving with a caravan, as a "Just in case"
That shouldn't be a problem within the UK - although there may be time limits. DVLA is still dreadfully slow for some things, there seems no sign of getting back to "normal" after Covid

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That shouldn't be a problem within the UK - although there may be time limits. DVLA is still dreadfully slow for some things, there seems no sign of getting back to "normal" after Covid
DVLA still have an enormous backlog curve 800000 cases still outstanding. Many requiring decisions on medical suitability to drive. The OP having only just passed the test it’s not clear when he will get the first photo licence. Hope it has BE otherwise he could be another 10 years older before the next one arrives.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our son updated his address on his driving licence about a month ago. The new photo card licence arrived within a week. Ditto daughter bought a new ( to her) car 2 weeks ago and got the registration document ( V5?) inside a week. Somethings are much quicker than others. I guess stuff that can be done automatically is faster than when they need a human intervention.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our son updated his address on his driving licence about a month ago. The new photo card licence arrived within a week. Ditto daughter bought a new ( to her) car 2 weeks ago and got the registration document ( V5?) inside a week. Somethings are much quicker than others. I guess stuff that can be done automatically is faster than when they need a human intervention.
Mel
Yes the medical aspects don’t seem to be able to be carried out other than in the offices due to data protection of confidential information. DVLA are trying to recruit more medically qualified staff to support tackling the backlog. Recall GeorgeandAde hadn’t received his HGV licence prior to deciding to sell his caravan. Months had passed and his was a straightforward submission.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes the medical aspects don’t seem to be able to be carried out other than in the offices due to data protection of confidential information. DVLA are trying to recruit more medically qualified staff to support tackling the backlog. Recall GeorgeandAde hadn’t received his HGV licence prior to deciding to sell his caravan. Months had passed and his was a straightforward submission.
I've already been waiting 17 months for my annual licence to be renewed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've already been waiting 17 months for my annual licence to be renewed.
DVLA took the easy way out by just granting a block extension. I assume yours is just a straightforward renewal? It took them six months to cancel my friends licence on account of glaucoma but he sensibly stopped driving.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
DVLA took the easy way out by just granting a block extension. I assume yours is just a straightforward renewal? It took them six months to cancel my friends licence on account of glaucoma but he sensibly stopped driving.
I didn't get the block exemption as my renewal process had already started - my medical situation is complex but nothing has changed for 3 years.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I sent my license to DVLA pre-covid simply for a change of address , I also hold a LGV license the category C+E only having a year to run and would you believe it two weeks later got me new license with a 5 year renewal date on my C+E .... No medical , no eye test :unsure: ...

GAS ....

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I sent my license to DVLA pre-covid simply for a change of address , I also hold a LGV license the category C+E only having a year to run and would you believe it two weeks later got me new license with a 5 year renewal date on my C+E .... No medical , no eye test :unsure: ...

GAS ....
That's worrying - not for your particular case but if there are 1,000s of LGV drivers out there with similar unchecked extensions to their licence, a few are statistically likely to have impaired health

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
That's worrying - not for your particular case but if there are 1,000s of LGV drivers out there with similar unchecked extensions to their licence, a few are statistically likely to have impaired health

It is Roger. There has been too many medical related issues resulting in fatalities due to impaired health issues. Some drivers selfishly just "don't care" . I also put car drivers in this category.

I phoned DVLA as I drive Fire Engines for a living and informed them of their mistake but were very adamant that there was no issue and as I had no medical issues nor on prescription drugs soldiered on. I have since then had another LGV renewal medical seeing me to I'm 65 and I think that's when I will call it a day.... :(

GAS .....

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...There has been too many medical related issues resulting in fatalities due to impaired health issues. Some drivers selfishly just "don't care" . I also put car drivers in this category...
I suspect your correct, but the risk is not just from drivers who have a diagnosis already, there must be thousands of driver with previously good health who succumb to a debilitation and don't advise the DVLA when they should. Not to mention the idiots who drink and drive or phone /text and drive.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I suspect your correct, but the risk is not just from drivers who have a diagnosis already, there must be thousands of driver with previously good health who succumb to a debilitation and don't advise the DVLA when they should. Not to mention the idiots who drink and drive or phone /text and drive.
It's not easy to do the right thing - the DVLA list of medical conditions is massive, you'd need to be a doctor to understand them all - even hospital consultants don't know all the rules about restrictions within their speciality. DVLA is overwhelmed with medical assessments in normal times so the logical advise to notify DVLA and let them decide would just add to delays.

In my opinion, DVLA goes over the top on alcohol - anyone referred to them for medical assessment for any condition is put through the same hoops as persistent drink-drivers if their alcohol consumption is above the NHS guideline of 14 units per week - which is most of the adult population!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts