Kerb Weight and Plate Upgrade

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Why in earth having full tanks in MIRO is beyond me.

I know it doesn't make much sense in the case of a caravan as few travel with all tanks full, but one can only assume that the regulations weren't written with caravans specifically in mind. They make much more sense for motor vehicles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It can be so confusing as some caravans with powered self levelling systems do include the battery in MIRO. Why in earth having full tanks in MIRO is beyond me.
As far as the OP is concerned his MIRO does not include a battery if the Owners Manual is to be believed. Crikey it’s difficult.
If the battery was not included in the MIRO then the self levelling would not work. That would be like trying to demonstrate a car without a battery. LOL! :LOL:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
This is caravans, common sense has nothing to do with it.
As I've said so many times, MIRO is nothing more than a rough indication of the unladen weight of a caravan. Far too many see and rely on it as the gospel truth. No wonder caravans are often woefully overladen if the owners base their available payload on the difference between MTPLM and MIRO.
Nobody has ever claimed that MIRO is the ex works weight, but many seem to think it is.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The problem that those that do care about the weight of their caravan (or trailer) face is trying to reliably ascertain the ACTUAL MIRO of it. The last caravan I weighed a few years back at a weighbridge had (from terrible memory) a tolerance of +/-30kgs so when you're trying to count every single kg it's hard to know where the true value is. I use my MIRO as a yard-stick and "do my best", feeling slightly more diligent than some of the caravans I see on the M5 that seem to be carrying every item from the occupants house.

Reactions: Mickyjb
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to weigh the caravan virtually empty other than a gas cylinder, battery, aquaroll, external pump, waste water container mover. Then when I ascertained that weight I knew how much “ personal” gear I could accept before I reached MTPLM. Then everything going into the van was weighed based on a two week holiday in UK. Then I took it to the weighbridge for a check weighing. After that I kept control by using spreadsheets and being aware if anything new or different was used.

Came unstuck once when I was nearly a 25% over MTPLM as weighed at the Brecon weighbridge for a 1000kg MTPLM caravan. As I had not weighed the “empty “van with its basic kit as described above.

For interest anyone know the tolerance on a public weighbridge. I normally used a 5 tonne one at Longleat forestry products site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I used to weigh the caravan virtually empty other than a gas cylinder, battery, aquaroll, external pump, waste water container mover. Then when I ascertained that weight I knew how much “ personal” gear I could accept before I reached MTPLM. Then everything going into the van was weighed based on a two week holiday in UK. Then I took it to the weighbridge for a check weighing. After that I kept control by using spreadsheets and being aware if anything new or different was used.

Came unstuck once when I was nearly a 25% over MTPLM as weighed at the Brecon weighbridge for a 1000kg MTPLM caravan. As I had not weighed the “empty “van with its basic kit as described above.

For interest anyone know the tolerance on a public weighbridge. I normally used a 5 tonne one at Longleat forestry products site.
i think it is about 5%?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The problem that those that do care about the weight of their caravan (or trailer) face is trying to reliably ascertain the ACTUAL MIRO of it. The last caravan I weighed a few years back at a weighbridge had (from terrible memory) a tolerance of +/-30kgs so when you're trying to count every single kg it's hard to know where the true value is. I use my MIRO as a yard-stick and "do my best", feeling slightly more diligent than some of the caravans I see on the M5 that seem to be carrying every item from the occupants house.

I know what you mean, but ACTUAL MIRO is a contradiction in itself. Either it is the MIRO or it is the actual mass. In the case of a vehicle (in this case a caravan) which is subject to type approval, the manufacturer will certify both the MIRO and the actual mass in the respective type approval certificate that is issued with each vehicle. MIRO is documented under item 13 and actual mass under 13.2.
In the case of my BMW, for example, the MIRO shown in that certificate is 1895kg and the actual mass 1980kg. I haven't got a certificate for the caravan because it was built before European type approval for caravans was introduced.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS