Kerbstone Ramp for Caravan

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Well I have just had my new driveway built and my Bailey Senator is now beautifully housed on its new hardstanding at the side of the house. However, access to this drive is across the pavement kerb which is 4" high. I have made enquiries about a portable ramp but no joy so far.

I expect some of you will have faced the same issue; all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The long term answer has to be to have a dropped kerb put in, but its expensive to do.

Short term, a couple of pieces of exterior grade shuttering ply, about a foot wide and 2 feet long, with a piece of wood along one short edge to bring the level up to kerb level, and place in position as needed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Talk to your local council about having the kerb dropped. If the road is classified (A,B or C road) then planning permission is needed. The procedure differs from area to area, some will do all the work for you, others just point you in the right direction. Cost is typically

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Steve thanks; however I wanted something wider (much wider!) than theplastic ramps used for leveling the 'van.

I am unsure how to go about any form of DIY woodwork Damian so if you could be a little more explicit (john.stephen@10glebelands.com)?

As for getting the kerb dropped; I have discussed this, and whilst i do not belive it would be an issue from the Council's perspective (quiet country cul-de-sac with next to zero pedestrians!); I understand that it can cost around

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
John

Metal ramps 1m wide will be very heavy and hard to store. If this is the way you want to go then I suggest you go and speak to a small local engineering company as many of these will build what you want

Steve

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John

Metal ramps 1m wide will be very heavy and hard to store. If this is the way you want to go then I suggest you go and speak to a small local engineering company as many of these will build what you want

Steve
Steve : Mmm O; I was think of aluminium but I guess it'd need to be able to support the weight. Perhaps wood would be better?! Thanks again though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reversing into my driveway the nearside wheel goes up over the kerb. I just drop a length of 4" x 2" timber in the gutter and the wheel rides up with no problem. There's no messing about lining up ramps and have done this for years.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Dusty; OK, when you say "nearside wheel goes up over the kerb", how does it mount the 4" without a ramp? As you suggest, when reversing - because the caravan's coming from an angle, one wheen will hit the kerb first and it's this wheel that will initially need the help. Then the second wheen follows v soon thereafter?!

Getting hold of a couple of peice of 4"x 2" timber is easy and clearly redces the initial hop-up by 50%?

So, if you can just explain how you get the first wheen to mount the 4" kerb?

John

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
I think what he means is lay the bit of 4" x 2" next to the kerb on its 4" edge there by giving you two 2" steps 4" apart the vane should go up that easily without straining the car at all. I would however make sure you hide the 4" x 2" when not in use as when a friend was using this method for backing a car trailer into his garden (banger racer on the trailer) some kind jerk picked it up from his garden and put it through the windscreen of his car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have formed a new drive opening off the highway you would have had planning permission from the local authority. You could request that they put a dropped kerb for you and then your problem would be solved once and for all. They will charge you for this work but with the hassle of portable ramps, etc. it could be a long term worth while investment.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Colin; yes the planners provided permission (no permission required!) and the Highway folks said that it was up to me if I wanted to do work on the kerb. I agree that long term this is best; especially if I then use the 2nd driveway as another drive for parking cars etc.

Meanwhile, if I buy 4 pieces of 4x2 (2 pieces side by side) giving me 8 inchbes across per wheel) and buy each length about say 18" long; that shpuld be OK perhaps? Unless one can buy 8 x2 ??!! (As you can see I am hopeless when it comes to woodwork etc !)

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin; yes the planners provided permission (no permission required!) and the Highway folks said that it was up to me if I wanted to do work on the kerb. I agree that long term this is best; especially if I then use the 2nd driveway as another drive for parking cars etc.

Meanwhile, if I buy 4 pieces of 4x2 (2 pieces side by side) giving me 8 inchbes across per wheel) and buy each length about say 18" long; that shpuld be OK perhaps? Unless one can buy 8 x2 ??!! (As you can see I am hopeless when it comes to woodwork etc !)

John
It is possible to buy 8x2 timber - better to buy sawn softwood rather than planed and if possible buy tanalised timber as this should last far longer than normal seasoned timber. However it will be dearer to buy.

Have you thought of any implications if a third party should come to harm as a result of the ramps being in place even if they are only going to be there a short period of time. Would your house insurance cover you as it is outside the curtilage of your plot?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think what he means is lay the bit of 4" x 2" next to the kerb on its 4" edge there by giving you two 2" steps 4" apart the vane should go up that easily without straining the car at all. I would however make sure you hide the 4" x 2" when not in use as when a friend was using this method for backing a car trailer into his garden (banger racer on the trailer) some kind jerk picked it up from his garden and put it through the windscreen of his car.
You are correct Richard and I keep the timber in the garage.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site

John
hi john

just a short warning note to you.i would be very careful that by driving across the foothpath to gain access to your driveway without the kerb being "dropped". that you are not contravening any local bye-laws???please do check!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi if i was you i would have my kerb dropped ,because if you had an accident while crossing the the sidewalk your insurance would not pay out ,as you would be driving on the sidewalk which is illegal ,so check with your local council highways dept first. bye joe croft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts